PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic saw

d4c24a
29-10-2010, 06:02 PM
we demoed one of these yesterday ,as clancy's are thinking of buying some
we had two cutouts to do on an 8" cast iron water main
the main was off ,but had a fair head of water and would have been time consuming with a disc cutter ,cutting a window and waiting for it to drain etc
with this i did two cuts in under 5 mins ,with no bother at all
great bit of kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXJj3yctpzc

strott
29-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Nice,

Dumb question!!: Why do you need to stop regularly when using a disc cutter?

What did you use to power the saw with? excavator? hydraulic power pack?

d4c24a
29-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Nice,

Dumb question!!: Why do you need to stop regularly when using a disc cutter?

What did you use to power the saw with? excavator? hydraulic power pack?

strott , with that amount of water in the main ,the disc cutter lacks the power to continue cutting ,then the belt get wet and slips

it was powered via the hammer circuit on the 3cx

cheers graham

Exmayor
29-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Graham we had a couple of these with Barhale, as long as they're looked after i think they're bloody good tools. We powered them off beaver packs.

rubber duck
29-10-2010, 09:04 PM
brilliant for water no good for us on gas graham.unless its dead and its getting ripped out .andy

d4c24a
29-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Graham we had a couple of these with Barhale, as long as they're looked after i think they're bloody good tools. We powered them off beaver packs.

we have a power pack ,plus a block with pipes to fit the kubotas ,and then pipes to go on the jcb,s
rumor is that only a select number of people are going to be able to use it
so it will hopefully be looked after

also heard they have gone over to komatsu mini's

strott
29-10-2010, 09:14 PM
ahhhhh, belt slippage, didn't think of that :o obvious when you think about it:D

Who is going to Komatus minis? Clancy Docwra??

d4c24a
29-10-2010, 09:15 PM
brilliant for water no good for us on gas graham.unless its dead and its getting ripped out .andy

hows things with you mate keeping busy :)

must admit to the odd mistake identifing mains and knicking the gas with the disc cutter :eek:

when on mains rehab ,a gang in sevenoaks ,were lining a 4" cast main
they found main in edge of footpath in the high street and put a small cut in water comes out so he winds the saw through it ,only to find a 2000 pair bt cable in it :o

d4c24a
29-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Who is going to Komatus minis? Clancy Docwra??

yes ,so i hear ,not be happy with some other makes

Exmayor
29-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Crikey hope they are getting them cheap, it's like tying one arm behind your back i am not a "K" fan.

Bernie
29-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Crikey hope they are getting them cheap, it's like tying one arm behind your back i am not a "K" fan. Hi Exmayor what problems did you have with Komatsu !

Exmayor
29-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Bernie there mini's might be very good, having not used them i can't really judge. My experiance comes from a brand new 240 dash 8, was looking forward to it as first K machine for me. The build quality was awfull the amount of play in pins was mm not thou. everything needed shimming to the point of half inch here half inch there. Was i unlucky? don't think so we had 8 machines delivered at once basically all the same. Dash 8 Drivers out there did we have bad batch? Daz

strott
30-10-2010, 07:30 PM
On paper the Komatsu mini's are quite low on power compared to some makes but I think overall they are good machines but possibly more expensive than others?

Clancy Docwra have Kubota mini's round here - is that the same nationwide?

d4c24a
08-11-2010, 06:43 PM
On paper the Komatsu mini's are quite low on power compared to some makes but I think overall they are good machines but possibly more expensive than others?

Clancy Docwra have Kubota mini's round here - is that the same nationwide?

it would appear someone got there makes mixed up :o not me :D
kubota not komatsu according to the fitter today

strott
08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
So they are buying more Kubota's then??

d4c24a
08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
yes i hear no more jcb mini's all kubota from now on ,apparently :D

strott
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Interesting.

Anyway have they bought any saws yet?

d4c24a
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Interesting.

Anyway have they bought any saws yet?

we did two cutouts last night with the demo machine before it went back today ,we feel it is a great machine and i think they will be buying some

last night we had to cut out some samples of a 12" main that has water quality issues ,main shut down and head off water drained ,two cuts
to release a section of pipe about 18" long ,pieced back in all in 1 hour
it makes no difference to the saw if the main still has water in ,unlike when using a disc cutter :)

pity the second one did not go as well ,after 3 hours of waiting ,the main was still not shut ,so got in a 4 am ,back out at 5.30am ,but got home at 1 pm today ,so not too bad

d4c24a
22-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Clancy's have now brought some of the saws
i got to use a new one on Tuesday night doing a cutout on a 18" cast iron main
another company has been doing some work at a reservoir and the did a cut out and connection with disc cutters and got it all a bit wonky and struggled to get the water back on in time
they had another cut out to do at 5.5 meters deep on a cat iron main at around 1 inch thick ,they had one go and could not get the main shut right down ,and disc cutters do not like cutting while the main is full of water so the water co asked for Clancy's to do it
so around midnight the main was shut and it took me an hour and 10 minutes to do both cuts without stopping ,not a hope in hell doing that with a disc cutter ,both cuts as straight as a die :)
the man down the hole with me from the other co ,did the first wonky cut out and offered me a fiver to cut it pi$$ed :D

strott
22-01-2011, 08:26 PM
How fast does the driving machine (probably a 3cx in this case) need to run at to allow efficient cutting?

d4c24a
22-01-2011, 09:40 PM
How fast does the driving machine (probably a 3cx in this case) need to run at to allow efficient cutting?

the 3cx will run it on tickover ,but for this job we had a stanley hydrualic power pack due to where the job was and time

this was the model http://www.stanleyhydraulics.ca/handheld/power_units.shtml

cheers graham