PDA

View Full Version : torque converter

diggerjones
08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
anyone know how much fluid a 5 tonne thwaits alldrive takes, i have dipped my dumper and the oil is a white milky colour so i thought i would change oil and filter. any advice would be useful. thanks.

Stock..
08-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Do they not use a jcb transmission or is it a Borg Warner...................

wazza of oz
09-01-2011, 12:33 AM
anyone know how much fluid a 5 tonne thwaits alldrive takes, i have dipped my dumper and the oil is a white milky colour so i thought i would change oil and filter. any advice would be useful. thanks.
Have a look around this site ,there a too many Thwaites Dumpers for me to narrow it down for you :D
But probably around 19ltrs of TQ D111

http://ew5.earlweb.com/search.php?site=6&sector=8&category=28&subset=1096

Pedro67
09-01-2011, 01:04 AM

Sounds like yr transmission cooler has failed.....need to flush it out, change cooler.....
Pedro

ianoz.
09-01-2011, 01:43 AM
White Milky oil means it is being contaminated by water .Check water is not getting into the transmisson . Maybe a leak in cooler if it has one .. No point changing the oil if it keeps on getting contaminated ..

Who esle thinks the same ? Ian .

cps140
09-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Have a look around this site ,there a too many Thwaites Dumpers for me to narrow it down for you :D
But probably around 19ltrs of TQ D111

http://ew5.earlweb.com/search.php?site=6&sector=8&category=28&subset=1096

Great link wazza!

diggerman
09-01-2011, 06:27 AM
my last digger had a different tc to what was mentioned in the hand book.allways used to drain oil and measure it and put the same quantity back in.hope this helps
nick..........

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
how would water get in oil cooler, surely if water was getting in then oil would be spewing out. or are you thinking that the water rad and oil cooler are built together like in my rubber 180. the oil cooler is behind the water rad. someone has sugested that condensation can cause this. thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.

d4c24a
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
how would water get in oil cooler, surely if water was getting in then oil would be spewing out. or are you thinking that the water rad and oil cooler are built together like in my rubber 180. the oil cooler is behind the water rad. someone has sugested that condensation can cause this. thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.

whats the rubber boot like on top of the gearstick , mate had a MF135 scraper tractor that lived outside ,no cab rubber boots on gearlevers were shot and water used to get in and make oil milky ,as pedro put i would check the cooler too ,how long have you had it
cheers graham

Exmayor
09-01-2011, 12:14 PM
DJ could be condensation the weather hasn't been kind when you say milky white is it a lot?

Does it drive ok with a full skip? should move in top on flat surface

What about getting enough heat into the torque convertor to burn off the moisture? you would have to be cruel :) Daz

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 12:15 PM
just bought it, it seems staight enough, works well. but not realy dogged it yet and prob wont. its not going to get much work but i thought i would change the tc filter and oil. how would water get into oil cooler. cheers

d4c24a
09-01-2011, 12:26 PM
it would be a crack ,poor weld ,i know it seems strange ,but it does not always mean oil will then get into cooling system
could be something like coolant temp gets hot enough to expand crack and as water temp is high ,then the pressure is greater than that of TC oil ,so only oil gets contaminated
if you have only just got it ,i would change it and keep an eye on things first
cheers graham

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 12:32 PM
cheers graham going to have to get out and do something now, i am suprised your in doors on a nice day like today and not out tinkering or have you bust your leg.

Exmayor
09-01-2011, 12:33 PM
DJ i would say it's condensation it sounds like it hasn't done much for a while to get it warm at all. From the photo's it looks straight enough, if you change the oil and filter do as Nick says measure it out measure it in. Daz:)

Out of curiousity what is the 180 behind it.

d4c24a
09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
cheers graham going to have to get out and do something now, i am suprised your in doors on a nice day like today and not out tinkering or have you bust your leg.

we got a late call for gritting last night ,and the road temp was well below before we went out ,there was a few accidents on my route with the police closing the road until i could get there to grit ,i had to do alot of spot gritting ( heavy spread)as the roads in one low lying place were like sheets of ice
and i had trouble keeping the truck on the road (very hilly) so it took me a bit longer to do my route , so had a lay in this morning ,and i am just of out to check the temporary traffic lights on the job i am currently doing ,so a lazy Sunday :D until we get called tonight before it freeze's this time :rolleyes:
cheers graham

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
mayor here it is and thanks for all the imput

Exmayor
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Ok, how old is it, looking at the photo's its got a quickhitch on the front and an extradig

Is it the forerunner to the Komatsu as the styling looks similar

DJ Is it a good machine to own :) Daz

wxmman
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Xmsn oil coolers were an issue on the 6t dumpers - Take off the 3 panels off the rear of the machine, you'll see a long canister about 18" long with 4 hoses going into it, 2 at either end & 2 more facing the engine - that's the cooler. Straight foreward to take off & refit. As for the oil we used to fill them with atf fluid, & from memory i think it's about 17ltrs - but don't quote me on that:p

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 05:21 PM
xmsn the cooler on my 5 tonne dumper looks just like a smaller version of the water rad.
mayor its 1986 4x4, torque converter, diff lock exstender dig and quick release front 4 1n 1. its done less than 10,000 hrs i would think. these were bagded as hymac once. it is a fai, italian. great machine.

mogman
09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
DJ i like the fact that the crowd rams are near cab end of the loader arms keeps them out of the way of the bucket and getting damaged by crap coming over the top especial if you take the bucket of and fit pallet forks on instead

Paul.

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
yes never thought of that. i made a set of forks that just hook over the round bar at the top. i thought i would have seen the end of the forks when on the floor but no. its ideal view is unloading a truck about 3 foot plus. i pluged that hand held jack hammer into the front sevice pipes used for the front bucket attachments. it worked ok but then the hydrolic oil was getting hot and the hammer started playing up. funny on the mini digger the oil gets hot but didnt effect the hammer. the mini has a oil cooler on it and the 180 dose not. but i would think with the amount of oil in the 180 compared to the mini it would of been ok. a fitter told me that you put engine oil in the hydrolics of a mini. i checked the manual for my case mini and that said use case hydrolic oil. thoughts please

leaky seal
09-01-2011, 06:47 PM
White Milky oil means it is being contaminated by water .Check water is not getting into the transmisson . Maybe a leak in cooler if it has one .. No point changing the oil if it keeps on getting contaminated ..

Who esle thinks the same ? Ian .

Hello all, Is the heat exchanger aluminium? If it is there is two "o" rings in it one inside at each end, take out a wire clip and carefully push out the center brass part, Replace the "o" rings and save yourself 100's.
If it's steel renew it.

andy.

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 06:56 PM
leaky whats a heat exchanger?

mogman
09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
yes never thought of that. i made a set of forks that just hook over the round bar at the top. i thought i would have seen the end of the forks when on the floor but no. its ideal view is unloading a truck about 3 foot plus. i pluged that hand held jack hammer into the front sevice pipes used for the front bucket attachments. it worked ok but then the hydrolic oil was getting hot and the hammer started playing up. funny on the mini digger the oil gets hot but didnt effect the hammer. the mini has a oil cooler on it and the 180 dose not. but i would think with the amount of oil in the 180 compared to the mini it would of been ok. a fitter told me that you put engine oil in the hydrolics of a mini. i checked the manual for my case mini and that said use case hydrolic oil. thoughts please

The only machine i know you put engine oil in the hydraulics is a lieberr?
and like you say with the amount of oil in your 180 and the size of the tank it doesn't need a cooler, are you sure when you plugged the breaker into the 180 that the lever was fully pulled (open) as any restriction would soon get the oil hot

Paul.

Traxcavator.
09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
DJ is the oil cooled by water or air....iether is a heat exchanger, If water cooled the oil pressure is greater than water pressure and thus the oil would be in the water. There are few occaisions when the oil gets contaminated by the water. Change the oil and run the dumper then see what happens, you may wel have inherited allsorts of problems that could have caused the water ingress.
Fai became suppliers to Komatsu for the backhoe loader.
Regards oil level, is there not a plug or dipstick. If it's a newage transmission (usually manual ) ring them at coventry they are very helpfull. If it is any other try Thwaites or ATP transmissions for help.

leaky seal
09-01-2011, 07:22 PM
leaky whats a heat exchanger?

You are jesting ? {oil cooler}

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
yes paul petty sure lever was pulled right back. its a bit low on oil so taking some tomorrow and see what happens. i dont plan on useing it alot. another thought was plug it into the extender pipework on the back end. think this is how you piped a pecker up years ago if you didnt have a hamer master or piped for pecker, put a pin in the extender to stop it moving and use the pipe work. thought the oil would travel further and use more oil so not get has hot, just a thought

mogman
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=diggerjones;26519]xmsn the cooler on my 5 tonne dumper looks just like a smaller version of the water rad.
QUOTE]

I think we have assessed that it has an air cooled heat exchanger (oil cooler) fitted maybe like Daz said earlier just condensation needs to be worked hard! (not flogged) :D

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 07:37 PM
hell fire leaky i'm a rough arsed builder come digger driver. i did have a vw beatle once and that had a heat exchanger or gas chamber if it rotted through. thanks for all the replies.

leaky seal
09-01-2011, 07:38 PM
yes paul petty sure lever was pulled right back. its a bit low on oil so taking some tomorrow and see what happens. i dont plan on useing it alot. another thought was plug it into the extender pipework on the back end. think this is how you piped a pecker up years ago if you didnt have a hamer master or piped for pecker, put a pin in the extender to stop it moving and use the pipe work. thought the oil would travel further and use more oil so not get has hot, just a thought

what size of pecker are you using ? They don't like to much flow the extender uses a smaller pump than the main circuit. if it works on a mini the extender is the answer.

andy :)

Stock..
09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
what size of pecker are you using ?

andy :)

The one his genes gave him......................

mogman
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
The one his genes gave him......................

I think leaky is just showing off:D

Paul.

diggerjones
09-01-2011, 10:36 PM
dont think my extender has a extra pump (my penis developer might have):eek: the hydrolic pump on mine is stuck on the end of the crank so just 1 pump.

mogman
09-01-2011, 10:55 PM
dont think my extender has a extra pump (my penis developer might have.

You could try that then but you my need someone to hold your pecker while you pump it :eek:

Paul.

strott
10-01-2011, 07:51 PM
mayor here it is and thanks for all the imput

Don't worry about what make it is - all the guys on here really want to know is can you grade with it?? ;):D

diggerjones
10-01-2011, 08:22 PM
the 4 in 1 is off a drott so quite heavy, proberly makes it better for grading. i am no expert with the 4 in 1 but can use it ok. its proberly 1 of the hardest things to master on a 180.

mogman
10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
the 4 in 1 is off a drott so quite heavy, proberly makes it better for grading. i am no expert with the 4 in 1 but can use it ok. its proberly 1 of the hardest things to master on a 180.

I think Strott is talking about the back end 'problems with the eco':confused:

Paul.

diggerjones
10-01-2011, 08:48 PM
its mad these problems machines are having with grading. my machine is nearly 25 years old and the back end is very good, why oh why do they try and make thing better when the original was perfectly good enough.

diggerman
10-01-2011, 09:03 PM
its mad these problems machines are having with grading. my machine is nearly 25 years old and the back end is very good, why oh why do they try and make thing better when the original was perfectly good enough.

i guess that what they call progress so they can charge us more for our toys(machinery)
nick............

Exmayor
10-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Dj nice bit of top soil spreading

Did you run a set of harrows over the job afterwards?

Your "3c" is pre regulation everything so it does what it says on the tin. I'll bet it owes you nothing and very rarely lets you down unlike it's modern equivalent. :) Daz

diggerjones
10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
the soil was from my new shed at home that i carted to local farm where sowed it with one of them single pass things that works the ground and sows seed in 1 pass. never had much problem with the 180, got the same engine as 3cx [perkins]. got a problem with altinater [sorry cant spell], last time i took 1 off a scrap series landrover. found a place near alton park who do servis exchange for 46 + vat so not to bad.
heres a pic of said shed.

strott
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I think Strott is talking about the back end 'problems with the eco':confused:

Paul.

Yeah!! Thought it would be rude not to ask!!

wxmman
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
The only machine i know you put engine oil in the hydraulics is a lieberr?
and like you say with the amount of oil in your 180 and the size of the tank it doesn't need a cooler, are you sure when you plugged the breaker into the 180 that the lever was fully pulled (open) as any restriction would soon get the oil hot

Paul.

We run the cat 345's on engine oil in the hydraulic system when they are running peckers.

diggerjones
12-01-2011, 09:19 PM
We run the cat 345's on engine oil in the hydraulic system when they are running peckers.

are them cat 345's the very big machines? my brother inlaw travels all over the world and europe fitting fire supresent systoms on big machines. mainly for mines. he goes cannock, windsford and something like biggleswade [librear]

diggerjones
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
just a up date, changed the oil and filter in the dumper torque converter today. i have done a bit of work with it since i bought it and it worked well, when i first got it, there was a bit of delay when you pushed lever to move first thing in the morning. took filter off and when i took sump plug out, not alot came out, i read somewhere about a gauze and on the side i took 2 bolts out and found it. it was well bunged up. cleaned it all up and back together now. everything is working well as before. i dipped it and oil is still milky but i recon its rust mixed with what was left in there. unless i flussed it i suppose this would happen.