PDA

View Full Version : artificial petrol

bob
30-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I found this on another site , watch the government put tax on it

British scientists 'invent artificial petrol' that could cost just 90p per GALLON (and there's no carbon)

By Fiona Macrae and Rob Cooper
Last updated at 12:34 AM on 29th January 2011

* Comments (687)
* Add to My Stories

* Hydrogen-based fuel produces no greenhouse gases so could help nations slash their carbon footprint
* It is due to be available at the pumps in three to five years

Petrol price relief? Stephen Voller, Chief Executive of Cella Energy said he is confident the new fuel will work in existing cars

Petrol price relief? Stephen Voller, chief executive of Cella Energy said he is confident the new fuel will work in existing cars

Artificial petrol that costs 19p per litre could be on forecourts in as little as three years.

British scientists are refining the recipe for a hydrogen-based fuel that will run in existing cars and engines at the fraction of the cost of conventional petrol.

With hydrogen at its heart rather than carbon, it will not produce any harmful emissions when burnt, making it better for the environment, as well as easier on the wallet.

The first road tests are due next year and, if all goes well, the cut-price ‘petrol’ could be on sale in three to five years.

Professor Stephen Bennington, the project’s lead scientist, said: ‘In some senses, hydrogen is the perfect fuel. It has three times more energy than petrol per unit of weight, and when it burns, it produces nothing but water.

‘Our new hydrogen storage materials offer real potential for running cars, planes and other vehicles that currently use hydrocarbons.’

The fuel is expected to cost around $1.50 a gallon, or 19p a litre. Even with fuel taxes, the forecourt price is likely to be around 60p a litre – less than half the current cost.

That would bring the price of filling a 70-litre Ford Mondeo down to around £42.

Energy from hydrogen can be harnessed by burning the gas or combining it with oxygen in a fuel cell to produce electricity.

But current methods of storing hydrogen are expensive and not very safe.
How it works: Cella Energy is optimistic that drivers will not need to modify their cars in order to use the fuel

How it works: Cella Energy is optimistic that drivers will not need to modify their cars in order to use the fuel

To get round this, scientists from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, near Oxford, University College London and Oxford University have found a way of densely packing hydrogen into tiny beads that can be poured or pumped like a liquid.

More...

* 1p levy on petrol could be scrapped: Cash-strapped drivers promised Budget relief
* Three million drivers who use their car for work hit by £2,000-a-year bill

Stephen Volker, of Cellar Energy, which is developing the technology, told Gizmag: ‘We have developed micro-beads that can be used in an existing gasoline or petrol vehicle to replace oil-based fuels.
Green energy: A hydrogen fuel bus in London. Unlike existing 'green' fuels the new fuel under development will not require motorists to upgrade their vehicles

Green energy: A hydrogen fuel bus in London. Unlike existing 'green' fuels the new fuel under development will not require motorists to upgrade their vehicles

'Early indications are that the micro-beads can be used in existing vehicles without engine modification. The materials are hydrogen-based, and so when used produce no carbon emissions at the point of use, in a similar way to electric vehicles.’

A tankful of the artificial petrol, which has yet to be given a brand name, is expected to last 300 to 400 miles, in line with conventional fuel.

But AA president Edmund King warned: ‘The fact the hydrogen is cheaper now doesn’t mean it always will be because the Government would soon get its hands on it and increase the tax.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1351341/Relief-pumps-Revolutionary-hydrogen-fuel-cost-just-90p-GALLON-run-existing-cars.html#

Bernie
30-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I found this on another site , watch the government put tax on it

British scientists 'invent artificial petrol' that could cost just 90p per GALLON (and there's no carbon)

By Fiona Macrae and Rob Cooper
Last updated at 12:34 AM on 29th January 2011

* Comments (687)
* Add to My Stories

* Hydrogen-based fuel produces no greenhouse gases so could help nations slash their carbon footprint
* It is due to be available at the pumps in three to five years

Petrol price relief? Stephen Voller, Chief Executive of Cella Energy said he is confident the new fuel will work in existing cars

Petrol price relief? Stephen Voller, chief executive of Cella Energy said he is confident the new fuel will work in existing cars

Artificial petrol that costs 19p per litre could be on forecourts in as little as three years.

British scientists are refining the recipe for a hydrogen-based fuel that will run in existing cars and engines at the fraction of the cost of conventional petrol.

With hydrogen at its heart rather than carbon, it will not produce any harmful emissions when burnt, making it better for the environment, as well as easier on the wallet.

The first road tests are due next year and, if all goes well, the cut-price ‘petrol’ could be on sale in three to five years.

Professor Stephen Bennington, the project’s lead scientist, said: ‘In some senses, hydrogen is the perfect fuel. It has three times more energy than petrol per unit of weight, and when it burns, it produces nothing but water.

‘Our new hydrogen storage materials offer real potential for running cars, planes and other vehicles that currently use hydrocarbons.’

The fuel is expected to cost around $1.50 a gallon, or 19p a litre. Even with fuel taxes, the forecourt price is likely to be around 60p a litre – less than half the current cost.

That would bring the price of filling a 70-litre Ford Mondeo down to around £42.

Energy from hydrogen can be harnessed by burning the gas or combining it with oxygen in a fuel cell to produce electricity.

But current methods of storing hydrogen are expensive and not very safe.

To get round this, scientists from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, near Oxford, University College London and Oxford University have found a way of densely packing hydrogen into tiny beads that can be poured or pumped like a liquid.

More...

* 1p levy on petrol could be scrapped: Cash-strapped drivers promised Budget relief
* Three million drivers who use their car for work hit by £2,000-a-year bill

Stephen Volker, of Cellar Energy, which is developing the technology, told Gizmag: ‘We have developed micro-beads that can be used in an existing gasoline or petrol vehicle to replace oil-based fuels.

'Early indications are that the micro-beads can be used in existing vehicles without engine modification. The materials are hydrogen-based, and so when used produce no carbon emissions at the point of use, in a similar way to electric vehicles.’

A tankful of the artificial petrol, which has yet to be given a brand name, is expected to last 300 to 400 miles, in line with conventional fuel.

But AA president Edmund King warned: ‘The fact the hydrogen is cheaper now doesn’t mean it always will be because the Government would soon get its hands on it and increase the tax.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1351341/Relief-pumps-Revolutionary-hydrogen-fuel-cost-just-90p-GALLON-run-existing-cars.html# Iam sorry to tell you this guys that new fuel will never make the pumps until the oil supply has dried up , or the SAUDI'S will have bought the rights to it , or a goverment have disposed of the inventor!

JD450A
31-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry to say that the concept of useing hydrogen as a burning fuel is a pretty shoddy one when it comes to burning it in a ordianary ICB Engine... Have you ever lit a 1 pint bottle of hydrogen?

Besides the problems of storing and Useing hydrogen. People don't seem to realise that you have to break apart the water monicules to get Oxegen and Hydrogen... This uses electric which is energy. Basically creating hydrogen is virtually storing electrical energy in the hydrogen.

Anyway, As a rookie shit water well driller I can happily say that the worlds not running out of oil. It's running out of easy oil. If the world was about to run out of oil BP, Shell, Texaco etc would'nt be continueing to hunt it down.

As for future fuels. Well I see alot of prospect in the waste to fuel plant idea, that creates a soild, liquid (Similar to heavy diesel) and Gas fuel.

Stock..
31-01-2011, 09:39 PM
http://www.need.org/needpdf/infobook_activities/SecInfo/HydrogenS.pdf

myrahush
16-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Such as a relevant thread and hydrogen usage, as an earth-friendly source of power for hybrid vehicles.

modelman093
16-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Even if it is a goer the government will tax it up to current levels!

Guest1
16-04-2012, 08:07 PM
It is against the law to run your car on anything with no duty on it,you can try to run it on what you want but you will still get a heftr fine.Its like with fags...if theres no duty paid on them its against the law.

shirtbox
27-03-2013, 08:31 PM
its not april 1st yet guys.

Grouser
29-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry to say that the concept of useing hydrogen as a burning fuel is a pretty shoddy one when it comes to burning it in a ordianary ICB Engine... Have you ever lit a 1 pint bottle of hydrogen?

Besides the problems of storing and Useing hydrogen. People don't seem to realise that you have to break apart the water monicules to get Oxegen and Hydrogen... This uses electric which is energy. Basically creating hydrogen is virtually storing electrical energy in the hydrogen.

Anyway, As a rookie shit water well driller I can happily say that the worlds not running out of oil. It's running out of easy oil. If the world was about to run out of oil BP, Shell, Texaco etc would'nt be continueing to hunt it down.

As for future fuels. Well I see alot of prospect in the waste to fuel plant idea, that creates a soild, liquid (Similar to heavy diesel) and Gas fuel.
just on the worlds oil supply......i remember watching aprogram about this and it was stated that theres enough oil in Azerbaijan alone to supply the whole worlds oil consumption for at least 50 years.
If they say its easy to get how will they justify ramping up the crude oil prices.......... but thats just me being cynical. And why is diesel more expensive than petrol ? Surely diesel/gasoil takes less refining and is less expensive to store as its less volatile.:confused:

JD450A
29-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Grouser, not a expert but the way it was explained to me is 1) we are restricted in supply not by crude production but refinery capacity, and two the far east is buying alot of base products?

picardo14
15-08-2013, 01:42 PM
hi! i dont think thats gonna work. "traditional" petrol will be used until finished, i am afraid

muckyman
16-08-2013, 03:01 AM
its still cheaper by horse just give it hay

Paulrey
16-08-2013, 06:57 AM
If oil was no longer used to produce fuel the the dollar would be worthless as it is backed by oil. The American economy would be down the tubes and the USA officially bankrupt which would lead to a massive depression. If it makes it on to the market the world could not afford to see it cheaper than regular fuel if it makes it there at all. Just my 2p.

V8Druid
20-08-2013, 01:05 AM
its still cheaper by horse just give it hay

And the hay is produced with??????
Can't remember the last time I got overtaken by a donkey.
But yeah, I know what you're saying.
It'll get taxed into oblivion if it ever makes it out of the oil co.s oblivion files, like all the rest of the great ideas bought and buried by 'em !!
They'll have to have something to sell us, when it does run out (but we'll all be long gone)
Me cynical - NAH!!!!!!:rolleyes:

V8Druid
20-08-2013, 01:09 AM
If oil was no longer used to produce fuel the the dollar would be worthless as it is backed by oil. The American economy would be down the tubes and the USA officially bankrupt which would lead to a massive depression. If it makes it on to the market the world could not afford to see it cheaper than regular fuel if it makes it there at all. Just my 2p.

The yanks currently import circa 60% of their oil requirements anyway, as they've squandered their own resource for the last century.
I could well see them becoming leaders in the alternate fuel market, to keep themselves afloat and flick a finger to the middle east

Paulrey
20-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I still think that they have more underground than they are letting on and they have a large number of old mines used a reservoirs where they are pumping imported oil. Use up everyone elses oil first.