PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar Dozers and Scrapers

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Guest1
10-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I was working for Hather plant on hire to Greenway construction in 1998 for a housing project on an old foundry sand tip in chesterfield,and an old Irish chap had this D8 and a d6 of same vintage doing the main shaping up,his d6 and vib roller split a nearby house in two with the vibrations as he passed close by,his name was Michal i think and his yard was on darby road chesterfield,this was the olny pic i took and he was selling the D8 for 19 grand at the time,i remember it was realy tidy.

traxcavatorpaul
15-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Some absolutely brilliant pics there Roly :) . Been looking thru them the last couple of days.

RolyD8k
16-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks paul,we loaded a tractor this morning to join another of
ours for 16 weeks on the oxford job,we loaded the scraper at
7-45 tonight bloody dodgy loading in the dark,to say there
running late is an understatement,but it,ll be there for 7-0clock
start in the morning,i hope:)
RB

Traxcavator.
16-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Roly does Streaky still drive the low loader for wheeler ?
My ex plant manager used to work for Buckinghams.
Who carted the box for you ? Looks like the ramps can't lift or did you push the rear wheels up the neck ?
The D8 loading would save the trailer some grief if the driver put two half sleepers 3ft back from the little ramps the tractor driver would find it easier too.....Not commenting on you, just that some of these lowloader drivers are a little lacking in the common.....

ianoz.
16-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Great Photos as always roly .Must be extra interesting chaining the scrapers down knowing there is no park brake to hold them on there .Ian .

RolyD8k
16-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi Roly does Streaky still drive the low loader for wheeler ?
My ex plant manager used to work for Buckinghams.
Who carted the box for you ? Looks like the ramps can't lift or did you push the rear wheels up the neck ?
The D8 loading would save the trailer some grief if the driver put two half sleepers 3ft back from the little ramps the tractor driver would find it easier too.....Not commenting on you, just that some of these lowloader drivers are a little lacking in the common.....

Yes Trax,streakys the man,hes in the picture,and tells me his new trailers
arriving anytime soon,the ramps will lift ok once the drawbar is chained up
and the teleporters out the way,the firms from peterborough,streaky mostly
loades over the side like the D6H he picked up last week,i dont like D8,s
over the side because if unloaded in reverse and the sprocket smashes
down hard on the ground it can damage the final drive duo-cone seals
make them leak,unless ones very very careful.
RB

Traxcavator.
16-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Roly i quite agree, reversing of the trailer does take some finesse. McArdle's once broke one of my D4E's sprocket hubs dropping it off their trailer... I argued the point but they knew better Ha Ha....funny that, the plant manager now works for Buckinghams. My oppinion was they must be hard up, im no fool.......Never ever let them have another one of our machines. They thought the sun shone out of Mr Mc's arse......poor things.

AtlasRob
18-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Beautiful pictures as always Roly. Doesnt matter how many times you do it, loading in the dark is difficult and dangerous, but you do what you gotta do and you do it very well.
Was that one of Acorns trucks?

Well they say you can learn something new everyday. I would never have thought that a tractor dropping backwards off the side of a trailer could do that sort of damage.

Having said that, I find it hard to understand the low loader drivers that go over the side rather than drop a neck. I know sometimes its due to the tarmac but many times its because they think its quicker.
That Nooteboom has to be one of the easiest necks to reconnect in any conditions. Its the same as one I pulled only I didnt have the benefit of the rear steering axles.

Traxcavator.
18-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Rob, nothing wrong with over the side, but lower the bed down on the deck. A couple of half sleepers do the trick...i did it for years with many tracked loaders dozers and excavators the later was lifted by the bucket then tracked half way over, spinning the top half round and lifting the lower side and then tracking on....also sticking the stick out can pivot the machine over onto the trailer. Lazy drivers that don't give a shit and are in too much of a hurry are the ones that break things, like Mc A's did to my D4.

RolyD8k
18-03-2010, 09:27 PM
found this 35mm slide tonight collecting dust,1970 our first D6C on
hire to London Brick at Yaxley, and no cab, i bet we would,nt get away
with it today:D
RB

RolyD8k
18-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Rob, nothing wrong with over the side, but lower the bed down on the deck. A couple of half sleepers do the trick...i did it for years with many tracked loaders dozers and excavators the later was lifted by the bucket then tracked half way over, spinning the top half round and lifting the lower side and then tracking on....also sticking the stick out can pivot the machine over onto the trailer. Lazy drivers that don't give a shit and are in too much of a hurry are the ones that break things, like Mc A's did to my D4.
Trax,your dead right,and if they had to pay for the damage themselves
they would be more careful.
RB

AtlasRob
18-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Rob, nothing wrong with over the side, but lower the bed down on the deck............... Lazy drivers that don't give a shit and are in too much of a hurry are the ones that break things, like Mc A's did to my D4.

Ah, gotcha, makes perfect sense. Been over the side many times myself, ducks included which is why I was a bit suprised about the damage possibility.
There were very few times that anything went over the side with Oakes big trailer. There had to be a very good reason for it to happen, eg no other alternative.

Traxcavator.
18-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Lots of tricks, to be learn't too. One was when reversing off you moved over to the opposite side of the trialer as you reversed prior to pivoting 90 degrees to the side you wanted to dismount....that way you were still level on the trailer without falling off !!

Traxcavator.
18-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Lots of tricks, to be learn't too. One was when reversing off you moved over to the opposite side of the trailer as you reversed prior to pivoting 90 degrees to the side you wanted to dissmount....that way you were still level on the trailer without falling off !!

RolyD8k
20-03-2010, 02:58 PM
called in at AJ,s yesterday,spud reskinned a D8 blade and is now
performing major surgery to a 463 while AJ,s eyeing up & getting
ready to spray another tractor.
RB

ianoz.
20-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Now that is a serious fitter truck . Great photos roly :) Ian .

Richard
20-03-2010, 03:35 PM
That is, as some say, the b0l$0ks of a service truck!

Now then, did he sand-blast that D8?........if so isn't he worried about the sand getting in around the bearings & seals?....like for example the rollers......or other parts?

AtlasRob
20-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Great set of pictures Roly. :cool:

That is, as some say, the b0l$0ks of a service truck!

Now then, did he sand-blast that D8?........if so isn't he worried about the sand getting in around the bearings & seals?....like for example the rollers......or other parts?

I have to agree on the service truck, if you play with big toys you need big tools, that as you say is the b0l$0ks ! :cool:

I wonder if it got grit blasted before the running gear got changed. Would still require some serious protection to some parts I imagine but would leave it cleaner for everything else. A squirt of primer then the maintenance / overhaul followed by the finishing and crowning glory.

Will be intresting to read Roly's comments on the procedure.

Guest1
20-03-2010, 06:42 PM
called in at AJ,s yesterday,spud reskinned a D8 blade and is now
performing major surgery to a 463 while AJ,s eyeing up & getting
ready to spray another tractor.
RBI can see AJ stood there perving over that sand blasted tractor,does he earn enough to go to such lengths?or is he a secret lotto winner just playing about because that looks like the sort of thing i'd be doing with IH drots on a big lotto win:confused::)

diggerhayne
20-03-2010, 07:14 PM
i will bring you back to reality with my poor mans punture repair:D:Dthe next generation forgot his overalls so we found him an old pair of mine,he will pissy if he sees this:D:D

Stock..
20-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Strewth reminds me of my first job fado, fado.Had to do exactly the same thing wear a pair of overall three sizes to big,............... alas now they all seem to be three sizes too small......:(:(

Traxcavator.
20-03-2010, 09:22 PM
We must use the same tailor ..... :eek:

Guest1
20-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I have some overalls wich fit great every where apart from they pull on my knackers:mad:

Stock..
20-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Don't know when I last saw me feet not to mind the family jewels,My other half reckons I have over half of me hanging out of the overalls when I eventually get them on..

Traxcavator.
20-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Has the missus got one of those 2ft shoe horn thingys' Stock ?
When shes finished hornin you in tell her to send it over to Seans missus to give his Knacks a whack......that'll loosen yr ovealls Sean, me ole mate eh !! :eek::eek::eek:

Stock..
20-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Has the missus got one of those 2ft shoe horn thingys' Stock ?
When shes finished hornin you in tell her to send it over to Seans missus to give his Knacks a whack......that'll loosen yr ovealls me ole mate eh !! :eek::eek::eek:

More like a ruddy 1.2m nail drawer... but I found if I cut off the sleeves they are easier to get on.

RolyD8k
21-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Now that is a serious fitter truck . Great photos roly :) Ian .
Ian,this is spuds own creation the crane will lift 60 ton at a metre out,
he has everything on board for cutting,grinding,welding,and all air tools,
i had him at cannock last year to repair a 463 that had split around the
tube,it saved us replacing the whole neck,i also saw him changing the
running gear on Bechers D10N,here the pictures again for those that
missed em:)
RB

d4c24a
21-03-2010, 04:32 PM
great photos roly ,have you spoke to dave recently
i wonder how he got on with the lake
cheers graham

RolyD8k
21-03-2010, 04:40 PM
great photos roly ,have you spoke to dave recently
i wonder how he got on with the lake
cheers graham

Graham,i hav,nt spoke to Dave for a while,but the job did,nt go to well
at the end and he finished it with a 22RB.
RB

RolyD8k
21-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Great set of pictures Roly. :cool:

I have to agree on the service truck, if you play with big toys you need big tools, that as you say is the b0l$0ks ! :cool:

I wonder if it got grit blasted before the running gear got changed. Would still require some serious protection to some parts I imagine but would leave it cleaner for everything else. A squirt of primer then the maintenance / overhaul followed by the finishing and crowning glory.

Will be intresting to read Roly's comments on the procedure.

Rob,the new running gear was already on,so no need to go near with
the shot,i think a light flash over does no harm anyway,the engine
compartment needs a bit more care, around the turbo and air intake
also the injection system and radiator,AJ,s going through a phase wanting
to paint everything like i did 24 years ago and again when we converted
the boxes to hydraulic 12 years later,heres my first attempt:D
RB

diggerhayne
23-03-2010, 09:58 PM
heres the sign that greets you at the start of rolys drive,a bloke with my linage could get upset,but as i know there are black sheep in all famillys and the fact that i was made very wellcome overrides this:D:Dnice to meet you roly :D:D

Traxcavator.
23-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Dehayne last time i went past Roly's that shed was upright, he'll have to add "AND NO BARN BASHERS" if he's to keep you out now !!

ianoz.
23-03-2010, 10:30 PM
So Digger Hayne , When am i to expect your vist to the down under branch :p:D Ian .

Guest1
23-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Those big square cabs are great,i remember playing on the colliery tips round my way as a child and pearing in side the locked cabs of d6 and d8's with the smell of the still warm engines after they were parked up for the night:)

RolyD8k
24-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Good to meet you DH,the scrap men still call and i say to them,theres
a sighn on that green shed saying no scrap dealers can you read,and
he sayNO:Dyou caught me at a busy time what with wheat
spraying,insurance man calling,and getting the old D822A ready to
go to cannock to replace the D8k with a blown final drive,we got
it loaded before tea,hopfully next time you call there we be more time
to show you a better look around:D did you get some interesting photos:D
Trax,the green shed cant fall down because theres to much junk
inside:D
RB

RolyD8k
24-03-2010, 09:04 PM
low loader got back this morning with the D8k and no drive on the
LH track,no 1 son was reversing it off trailer when suddenly it slid
sideways out of control down the ramps,a few blocks did the trick
under the hovering track and off it came,lado wondered where he
was going:D now to start pulling it apart:)
RB

Richard
25-03-2010, 04:27 AM
will be interesting to see what you find wrong inside

John Gaunt
25-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Great pictures as always, Roly. What make is the crawler in the second picture with the 'frog eye' lights ?

RolyD8k
25-03-2010, 06:27 AM
will be interesting to see what you find wrong inside
strange thing is Richard,with no drive to the left track,but with engine
ticking over out of gear and you pull the right hand steering lever the
RH track twiches:confused:strange,but will all soon be revealed:)
RB

RolyD8k
25-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Great pictures as always, Roly. What make is the crawler in the second picture with the 'frog eye' lights ?

Hi John,thats a fiat 70c and to the left of it is an 80c,and both good
runners,we had the 70c out working last year:)
RB

Traxcavator.
25-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Roly, morning, i have allways found with crawlers with dead tracks it's best to freewheel off the low loader, usualy they come down in a straaight line.....not saying Carl didn't do that. just what we try to do.
John i think you mean picture 3, Before Roly tells us why dont the lads have a guess for a day ? Im thinking a fiat.. wide guage tho.

Traxcavator.
25-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Hah never mind, you beat me to it. Got the make right tho' :):)

Traxcavator.
25-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Thats strange, i didn't see your replies Roly, i thought you must have been posting at the same time as i was. But the times are half hour apart tho. :confused::confused:

Local Diggers
25-03-2010, 09:48 AM
roly i drove past your d8 on the motorway im sure, was it monday?

RolyD8k
25-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Thats strange, i didn't see your replies Roly, i thought you must have been posting at the same time as i was. But the times are half hour apart tho. :confused::confused:
Trax,bit of a time warp there,but good guess mate:)i bought that
little fiat new in 1970,and it still pulls like a train until the manifold
glows cherry red:D
RB

RolyD8k
25-03-2010, 05:39 PM
roly i drove past your d8 on the motorway im sure, was it monday?

no mate, tuesday afternoon one was on its way to cannock:)
RB

Traxcavator.
25-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Roly it was, just a guess. Going by the style and colour of the old girl.
I don't like the new New Holand and Fiat stuff but the old Fiat and Allis gear was pretty sound.

RolyD8k
25-03-2010, 08:03 PM
something else we did yesterday was run up the ford engine
out the combine after the rebuild,it smoked a bit at first start
up but now runs a treat after clearing the cobwebs out:D
RB

Traxcavator.
25-03-2010, 08:24 PM
That harvester looks well looked after, she must be a year or two old now Roly. We had two NH harvesters after a string of Masseys. We have a Class lexicon on rubber tracks now. Is that engine the 2700E model or there abouts ?

RolyD8k
26-03-2010, 05:03 PM
That harvester looks well looked after, she must be a year or two old now Roly. We had two NH harvesters after a string of Masseys. We have a Class lexicon on rubber tracks now. Is that engine the 2700E model or there abouts ?

Trax,its a 1979 model and your spot on with a 2704E ford engine,the
other 8070 we run is a 1985 model with a non turbo fiat engine and
has been more reliable than the ford.
RB

Traxcavator.
26-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Roly i must admit i don't like fiat engines. however i assume they need looking after more, as im quite sure you do yours. Doesn't put the Ford in good stead tho' does it. How many acres have you set to cerials this year and what varieties have you sown.

Stock..
26-03-2010, 10:09 PM
F= found
O= on
R= rubbish
D= dump.

or

F =fill
O= or
R =run
D =dry

or
F=Fix
O=or
R= repair
D= daily

RolyD8k
26-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Trax,i prefere the fiat engine because it revs less,uses less fuel and
no engine oil between changes,we will have to see how the new built
ford compares,sown 210 acres cordiale milling wheat and 100 acres os
rape,got the D8 washed down ready for taking apart.

RB

Traxcavator.
26-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Roly, I guess those older fiats were the beter ones. What is your average yeald and do you use any particular fertilizer or only natural manure.
I would think the D8 has a few teeth missing from one of the pinions or maybe a bearing broken up. I take it the cab is off to lift out the clutch to draw the pinion out ?

Guest1
26-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Roly,i'll be intrested to find out whats wrong with the d8:confused:also the guy in the first pic has a classic bald pattern hear loss like me,looks sort of smart don't it:D

RolyD8k
27-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Roly, I guess those older fiats were the beter ones. What is your average yeald and do you use any particular fertilizer or only natural manure.
I would think the D8 has a few teeth missing from one of the pinions or maybe a bearing broken up. I take it the cab is off to lift out the clutch to draw the pinion out ?
Trax,all the ferts are out of a bag and we average 3.5 -4.0 ton an acre
wheat,TSP in the seedbed, first topdressing with urea 46% remaider UK
an 34.5%
the cab & diesel tanks are off to lift out the steering clutches and
cross-shaft,also changing the trans and torque as there done 10,500hrs
and 4800hrs respecfully.
RB

RolyD8k
27-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Roly,i'll be intrested to find out whats wrong with the d8:confused:also the guy in the first pic has a classic bald pattern hear loss like me,looks sort of smart don't it:D

yes Sean,were all wondering what bits have broke,and thats the best
hair line a bloke can have,but his old mans looks better:D:D
RB

modelman093
27-03-2010, 06:25 PM
yes Sean,were all wondering what bits have broke,and thats the best
hair line a bloke can have,but his old mans looks better:D:D
RB

Hi Roly
More great pics from the Billings D8 fettlers manual!
As for the hair style - not going there. Still got most of mine but was recently accused of colouring it!
Anyway how is the poor old 22A coping with playing with the big boys?
Angus

RolyD8k
27-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Angus,its coping well and can do load for load as it did on the
power station job,i must get up there and get some pictures
it,ll be no trouble finding it just have to look for the clouds of
black smoke:D
RB

modelman093
27-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Angus,its coping well and can do load for load as it did on the
power station job,i must get up there and get some pictures
it,ll be no trouble finding it just have to look for the clouds of
black smoke:D
RB

Glasgow built and still going strong! Funny that, when I joined Cat in '65 there were UK contractors who insisted that the UK built D8s were not as good as those from the US factory !
AS

bob
27-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I use to find when the dust was blowing the 68a would leave 22a behind but when it was a bit wet and harder going the direct drive had the edge it was the same with the 19a and 18a the torque slowed them down

RolyD8k
28-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I use to find when the dust was blowing the 68a would leave 22a behind but when it was a bit wet and harder going the direct drive had the edge it was the same with the 19a and 18a the torque slowed them down
bob,running on the level and dust blowing 5th gear in our 22a is maybe
just a little slower than our D8k,s,but drop it into 6th and its down the
road, nothing will get near it,a job we did some years ago for lafarge at
willington,two K,s on the job and i was on the 22a stripping and bunding
topsoil all with 463,s changing gear on the move kept up with the K,s easily
the advantage they had was the extra weight for grip when turning with
a load, but torque stalled on an incline where as the manual drive would keep
going,and as you say in the wet nothing can touch em,out of our two 22a,s
the earlier tractor (both 270hp)changes gear on the move easier than the
later one,but you gotta catch it just right,we have since blocked off 6th
gear in both tractors as its far to fast:D
RB

diggerhayne
28-03-2010, 08:21 PM
So Digger Hayne , When am i to expect your vist to the down under branch :p:D Ian .

sorry ian, got out of sink with these posts ,you are on the list of things to do when i win the lottery:Di do have some relations in oz they were sent out for some special colonial thing a long time ago:D

Stock..
28-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Gee so were some of mine...

Traxcavator.
28-03-2010, 08:57 PM
The only natives of Australia are the Aborigine's that means all the white skins originated from us !!

Stock..
28-03-2010, 09:01 PM
It was you're ancestors that sent my ancestors out on business...

RolyD8k
29-03-2010, 10:44 PM
another one loading over the side this afternoon,i just got round
the yard in time for a few pictures,:D
RB

Stock..
29-03-2010, 11:49 PM
and all accomplished with out a vizzy vest!

Traxcavator.
30-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Roly i'll bet Bennies don't tell there drivers to do that :)
Stock it's funny you should say that, the drivers of the low loader companies that we use, have to be told time and time again to put hi viz on, and the f'ing idiots wear TRAINERS TOO !!!!

ianoz.
30-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Great photos as always roly . I can't see any blocks of wood beside the float where he walked it on ,so do they use the blade to lift the front up on to the float ? .Ian .

Traxcavator.
30-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Ian they climb up the trailer with the grousers. If they use the blade it would likely damage the trailer. Brackmills are a reputable haulier i doubt the boss's would recomend over the side unless it was well executed by a careful excavator and driver. Or blocks, even then spragging round is likely to damage the floor. LGP machines with low grousers like roly's machine are not bad. I speak from experiance, been loading machines for 34 odd years now and met many good and arsehole low loader drivers.

RolyD8k
30-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Great photos as always roly . I can't see any blocks of wood beside the float where he walked it on ,so do they use the blade to lift the front up on to the float ? .Ian .
thanks Ian,Trax about summed it up,climb up and on nice and steady
no harm done:)
Trax,i dont know how long that name will stay on the low-loader before
its sighn written over,but i bet not too long:)
RB

Traxcavator.
30-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi Roly, you know more than i, but they wont be the first. Brackmills lost out on masses of work when Volvo decided to PDI the machines at immingham docks and then ship them out to the customers. They used to run them all down to Duxford. Peter Bennie group owns them are Barton in the Group ? They owe us a few bob. Our last two new machines were delivered by Brackmills.

RolyD8k
30-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi Roly, you know more than i, but they wont be the first. Brackmills lost out on masses of work when Volvo decided to PDI the machines at immingham docks and then ship them out to the customers. They used to run them all down to Duxford. Peter Bennie group owns them are Barton in the Group ? They owe us a few bob. Our last two new machines were delivered by Brackmills.
yes Trax,Barton are part of the group.
RB

Traxcavator.
30-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Roly, I thought so. Thanks for the nod i'll get the wheels turning a bit quicker.

RolyD8k
30-03-2010, 10:54 PM
lifted the trans and torque out today for rebuilds,LH brake drum
scored bad and needs changing,likewise the brake band,looks like
the top pinion bearing let go leaving it a funny angle,strange thing
is no oil got past the duo-cone seals and over filled the final drive:confused:
everything must be torn up in the final drive, so much metal blocking
the drain hole had a job draining the oil,both steering clutches and
cross shaft out tommorow
RB

Traxcavator.
30-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Roly, do you run gear oil in the final drives ? I am allways of the oppinion that finaldrives should run with EP oils as the are heavy gears, the pump should be able to handle upto 85/140. Saying that we run 50w engine oil in most of ours now. Total AC 50 (Allison Cat) special transmission oil. Chris Lee told me he ran EP 90 in his D8 tractors. The D58's we run have smallish pinion bearings and a catcher that delivers the oil to one of the inner bearings so we are cautious of the viscosity of the gear oil. What would be your usual Hrs on the D8 Final drives.

RolyD8k
01-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Trax,we use IQ450 in the finals,10,000hrs average after rebuild,
this tractor clocked up 10500hrs + hrs what the previous owner did,
most we have had is 15,000hrs + previous owners hrs,and that
was on non genuine cat.
RB

Guest1
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the update Roly,these big tear downs give me shivers,i got hot under the collar taking the glow plugs out of my 802 today:)

Neil D
01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Roly,
Brilliant thread as allways,hows the Cannock job going?
Neil

Traxcavator.
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi Roly IQ450 is that a gear oil ? What is it's viscosity 50 ? What trans oil do you use in the powershift and DD transmissions ? !0hrs is good. I have had a shock today, may have to invest in some D8K's Doub't theres any good one left tho ?

Traxcavator.
01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi Roly IQ450 is that a gear oil ? What is it's viscosity 50 ? What trans oil do you use in the powershift and DD transmissions ? 10,000 hrs is good. I have had a shock today, may have to invest in some D8K's Doubt theres any good one left tho ?

d4c24a
01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
great pics roly
what sort of total hours do your K,s have
cheers graham

RolyD8k
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Roly,
Brilliant thread as allways,hows the Cannock job going?
Neil
Hi Neil,cannocks going well were currently running four D8K,s on
boxes there with a D6 hi-drive tweeking the corners out and keeping
the job tidy,must keep the heaps sloped and sealed up for water
run off in heavy showers,so minute it stops raining we can carry
on, a bit of light rain dont stop us,there hoping we will finish by
xmas,i think it will be nearer next easter,fingers crossed:D
RB

RolyD8k
01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
great pics roly
what sort of total hours do your K,s have
cheers graham
Graham,total hrs are well over 30,000+,im having a spare engine
built by T & Plant Ltd, between us we have most of the parts
at hand,with an engine failure it will then be a simple job of just
swopping the motor over,what Dicks most short of is time,as he,s
always kept busy fixing machines,he,s coming to me tommorow to
pull the sprocket and flanges on the cross shaft.
RB

AtlasRob
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Roly i'll bet Bennies don't tell there drivers to do that

Thats a name I have not seen or heard for a long time. The first proper truck I drove ( on site under age ) was a 4 wheel Guy with an ali body that had hundreds of bolts holding it together with that name on the door. About 1973 or 4 at a guess. Ok for aggregate but a bloody nightmare for muck :eek:

Bugger me if their 8 wheelers havent been going past this last week.

Trax about summed it up,climb up and on nice and steady
no harm done.

Its not often that you manage to get the combination of the two most important things together, steady & gentle but when you do it works a treat. :D

I did notice he didnt drop the rear air though.

Graham,total hrs are well over 30,000+,................. it will then be a simple job of just
swopping the motor over.

Fantastic pictures and info Roly. You make it all sound so reasonable and easy.
Due credit, great hours. :cool:

RolyD8k
02-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi Roly IQ450 is that a gear oil ? What is it's viscosity 50 ? What trans oil do you use in the powershift and DD transmissions ? 10,000 hrs is good. I have had a shock today, may have to invest in some D8K's Doubt theres any good one left tho ?
sorry Trax missed your post,IQ450 they say hangs on the gears longer
and lubricates better,likewise with IQ430 for transmissions,i will look
for the spec sheet,i know the D8 trans are lasting a lot longer and
less bearing trouble with the IQ430,i think it stands the heat better,
i think you will have to look abroad for any D8K,s let alone good ones
there just is,nt any around,most i think have gone over the water,
you must have had some scraper work come up:D
RB

diggerhayne
02-04-2010, 08:16 AM
great posts as allways roly,im off to put a engine in a 2tonner,mend the scraper tyre,and poke at my lorry and see how much damage my crane has done to its self when it self destructed,f--king cheap retro fitted remote controllers for you:(:(

Traxcavator.
02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Roly goodmornin, no worries, it was late :)
We have a lot of work suitable for scrapers but the council and archeaologists put the stop to that. I would like to run a couple tho.
My comment was made due to the cost of excavators. The last two new machines we bought were a Volvo 290C and a 360B, The last new 20 tonne machine i bought was a Komatsu PC 210 LC-7 in 2004 it cost 72K at this time the Volvo 210 was 68K. Yesterday i wanted to buy a late second hand Volvo 210 C They only have one in stock and it was out working. After a bit of thinkiong i called back the Sales guy and said we'd have a new one.........Lucky i had finnished my sausage sandwich and was sitting down.....90 GRAND !!!!!
and cant get one until August......I thought we were in a recession !!!!

RolyD8k
02-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Roly goodmornin, no worries, it was late :)
We have a lot of work suitable for scrapers but the council and archeaologists put the stop to that. I would like to run a couple tho.
My comment was made due to the cost of excavators. The last two new machines we bought were a Volvo 290C and a 360B, The last new 20 tonne machine i bought was a Komatsu PC 210 LC-7 in 2004 it cost 72K at this time the Volvo 210 was 68K. Yesterday i wanted to buy a late second hand Volvo 210 C They only have one in stock and it was out working. After a bit of thinkiong i called back the Sales guy and said we'd have a new one.........Lucky i had finnished my sausage sandwich and was sitting down.....90 GRAND !!!!!
and cant get one until August......I thought we were in a recession !!!!
Bugger Trax,that,ll take some recouping,rates need to come up to
justify that amount,plus two or three trucks and a blade to level
out,they must think you,ve won the lottery,a big earthmove at
northampton, topsoil strip and cut to fill went to a northern firm
last week for under 80p M3,suicide or what:confused:
here,s one for Ian
had an interesting phone call last week from a chap looking for
the start on a d8 & box,he just got back from 18 months down
under in Aus,operating scrapers in a gold mine,this outfit had a
dozen 657,s operated by females who they claim get another
30% more out of the tyres and 20% more out of the engines
than a bloke can,quite a big saving,Ian is this true,do we have
to start employing sheilas to drive our machines:D
RB

ianoz.
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Roly, Thats the word on the street ,Thats sheilas make the best operators . A lot of the mines have them on the BIG dump trucks .Guy that runs the local caravan park reckoned his female drivers had fewer breakdowns and basicly looked after the gear better that the guys . One of the tipper mobs in town have a 25 year old honey driving a tandem drive UD truck pulling a 3 axle dog trailer . Ian .

ianoz.
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
roly 80p m3 is good a firm just took a big cut fill job in devon for 58p a m3 and have not got the plant to do it and have to hire in

Don't know much about this type of job and the costs involved . But it sounds like its going to end in tears for someone . Alarm bells should be ringing when jobs are won without any hope of showing a profit .Ian .

Stock..
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Don't know much about this type of job and the costs involved . But it sounds like its going to end in tears for someone . Alarm bells should be ringing when jobs are won without any hope of showing a profit .Ian .

Over here they are bidding on management costs + labour and materials

Song for this type of bidding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICiFnQrHOrk)

Traxcavator.
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Roly good evening, who is the Northern firm... Fox , Wardles ? My job starting as soon as we get a bit more dry pooring down instead of the wet stuff I will say is 1.25/M3.. i am using a 41 tonne Volvo 2 or three A30's and a D6 0r D5....
.... if you want to make money you need 1.60.
If we all keep the prices up we will be able to afford a new 210 now and again. We never load A25 ADT's with less than a 30 tonne machine unless on hire, 30 tonne Haulers need 40 tonne machine or heavier. Prompt starts, cleaned truck bodies and good haul roads are a must.
Go Back, that price will cost them money why are they bothering ?
When we have bad ground and sticky material we will have a twenty tonne machine for scraping the bodies clean, over 8 trucks tho and two or thre blades, or one and a grader. If we have to work under 1 /M3
Roly Neil Becher rekons he needs a pound a cube for 637's now.
What are these idiots doing.

AtlasRob
02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
...cleaned truck bodies and good haul roads are a must.
When we have bad ground and sticky material we will have a twenty tonne machine for scraping the bodies clean, over 8 trucks

A pet hate of mine is trucks back hauling muck that was suppose to only go one way, and I was only the bloke loading them. :mad:

I was on a dozer once watching A25's back hauling half a load for day after day, bloody stupid. Machine driver was loading over the back and couldnt get the bucket in to clean them out.
It never occured to him to track out of the hole he was in so he could attack them from the side for a few minutes :o

Traxcavator.
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Rob...He should have been loading over the side, swinging through the rear end to start with. Remember at my rates only one cube coming back to the dig is 1.25 They are off their heads !!!!!!!!!!!!

AtlasRob
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi Rob...He should have been loading over the side,

In fairness to him he was down in a wet hole and the trucks had to back to him. But they were hauling a good distance, the time to come out and clean them once in a while would have been worth it IMHO.

Traxcavator.
02-04-2010, 09:16 PM
And you're not wrong Rob....:)

tctractors
02-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Rob I am only a spanner spinner, but I have caused some Sparks to fly on Muck Shifts, when a big fleet of Dumpers are working that I have to Keep Rolling, I soon " Fire Up on 6 Pots if things A'nt Going Right " 2 Way Muck is the Biggest Sin I know, so I soon get that Sorted, with Muck left in the Skip, it Smashes the Skip Down onto the Frame???, This sets Me into Head Banger Mode Right Fast, the next thing that gets me steaming, is Bad Traveling ( Shit Roads) and a Blade Driver To Bone Idle to Wipe His Own Arse, so He Soon Gets it, ether Rev Up, Or Park UP???, but the thing that Fires Me Up the Worst of All is Loading the Dumpers Facing the Wrong Way, Turning Loaded is Hard Going, so it gets Stopped Right Rappid, I get told your not the Boss Here, So S**K you, but I get that Little Detail Made Clear Fast, Mobile Phones??? you just have to put one by your Ear to get a Bit of Action.

tctractors

Traxcavator.
02-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Face the direction you are heading.....Phones to ears of moving Plant tho,' Tony.. gets only one warning !!!! One more thing, buckets over the cab are a no no too. Thing is Tony whether you talk to the boss or not, alot of guvner's Know no diferent than the one cells in the saddles.

d4c24a
02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
TC i hear you pretty mean on the tractor and box yourself :D
question is have you mastered the 3cx :D

Neil D
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Graham
He had to get rid of it-said he couldnae handle the power.

Neil

AtlasRob
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Graham
He had to get rid of it-said he couldnae handle the power.

I can see this turning ugly!!!!! :) :D

tctractors
03-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I must admit to Cashing the JCB in, I polished a few Pounds out of it (Steam Cleaned it) then set Her Free to a Loving Home.

tctractors

ps It often seems that I get left by the Bosses/Owners, to sort the Muck Shift, or tell them the easy Tricks to make the Till Ring, there is not many good Muck Monkeys about these days.

tctractors

RolyD8k
03-04-2010, 09:19 AM
A pet hate of mine is trucks back hauling muck that was suppose to only go one way, and I was only the bloke loading them. :mad:

I was on a dozer once watching A25's back hauling half a load for day after day, bloody stupid. Machine driver was loading over the back and couldnt get the bucket in to clean them out.
It never occured to him to track out of the hole he was in so he could attack them from the side for a few minutes :o

this method of moving muck both ways finished keveney on the
M11 in mid 1970,i was on a D6 pushing out wet chalk from a fleet
of belaz trucks and they was more chalk left stuck in the body
than they tipped out,i said to a driver why dont the digger scrape
it out,he said there not allowed for fear of damaging the floors,they
were being loaded by two poclain 600,s, CJ Prior priced the job using
769,s with heated bodies but was 50k adrift on price,a lot of money
them days the price of 4 D6C,s,keveney was having the same trouble
with the ts14,s and sticking chalk,but no one seemed to care,bloody
crazy:confused:we were cross hired in from RB Tyler of ware and got
paid,but i dont think they did,a forman said to my brother one day run
over that old caravan crush it up and then bury it in the burrow pit,bro
thought i,ll have bit of a laugh and spun it round with corner of his
blade,after backing up and ready for the big crunch paddy came
crawling out on hands and knees and trousers round his ankles
half way taking a dump,a bit stained but his lucky day:D
RB

Rusted
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
paddy came
RB

He probably went back inside and needed to dump twice as much after that!..:D

Stock..
03-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Paddy came crawling out on hands and knees and trousers round his ankles
RB

That was some laxative...

AtlasRob
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
this method of moving muck both ways finished keveney on the
M11 in mid 1970,..........................

Thats another name that jangles a bell. Pretty sure it was a Keveney that had a fleet of 631's on the M26 around 1978. I was on for Dowsetts, one of the first jobs was second man on the low loaders as we pulled the batching plant off the M11 into Wrotham on the M20.
Belaz dumptrucks.................................:o

As for the caravan...............that was the craic in those days, a very lucky man though he probably didnt think so at the time ...................your brother I mean :D

RolyD8k
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
yes Rob,a very lucky day for everyone:)chalk i found was one of the
hardest things to get level,when blading it out on the M11 from the
tractor seat it looked level,until you got off and eyed it in,being so
white you could,nt see the high,s and lows,but sun glasses did help:cool:
RB

AtlasRob
03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
chalk i found was one of the
hardest things to get level......................,but sun glasses did help

Dammit, I never thought of using that old chestnut. :D

Chalk, a weird substance there is no doubt.
Cutting small benches around soil nailing to allow a pull test to be performed I have a job to dig the ruddy stuff, once its on the deck it sticks to your boots like a load of dog sh** its so bloody wet.

I remember at Wrotham, 2 D8's were pushing the 769's onto and off the fill area for the bypass. It finally got backbladed and left.
When the 16 grader went in to do the formation he was having to plow it with the corner of the blade it was that hard. :confused:

bob
03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
horrible stuff chalk you just wanted a big cloud to go over and the bloodly stuff went wet and the 631s were sliping all over the place

Traxcavator.
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Roly, You needed the two R's mate........Raybans and Reverse...oh and an F.......... FLOAT !!

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Roly, You needed the two R's mate........Raybans and Reverse...oh and an F.......... FLOAT !!
Trax,thats the easy way out,but dont always work:D
RB

Traxcavator.
04-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Blades were never designed to be dragged backwards anyway....:)

diggerhayne
04-04-2010, 08:57 AM
bloody trainees backblading over their mistakes:D:D

Traxcavator.
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
....Have you still got your backbladers hand book Dehayne ?

diggerhayne
04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
....Have you still got your backbladers hand book Dehayne ?

no it fell out the door when i was trying the theory out:D:D

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
bloody trainees backblading over their mistakes:D:D
drives me mad to look at em,as Rob would say,get em out the seat
and on there feet:D
RB

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
when we lifted the LH steering cluch out, the pinion and flange fell
out of the retainer with a total bearing failure after 5500hrs, when
we last rebuilt the cross shaft we used bower bearings,but when we pulled
the outer hub on the final drive timken bearings came out in perfect
condition after 10500hrs,so going to use all timken on the rebuild,
we tried to pull the sprocket with a 100 ton ram but it would,nt budge,
heated it up with the pepper pot while Dick thrashed hell out of it
with a sledge but no luck,we must now look for a 150 tonner:( and
a longer wait before we can peep behind that final drive case:)
RB

Traxcavator.
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Roly does that mean the hub was pushed on too tight ! I know how it is when we push ours on.......to the upper limit we allways have to be sure the hub won't come loose. Not sure if you Know but acetylene is much better for heating than Propane.

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Roly does that mean the hub was pushed on too tight ! I know how it is when we push ours on.......to the upper limit we allways have to be sure the hub won't come loose. Not sure if you Know but acetylene is much better for heating than Propane.
yes Trax,after running D8,s for over 30 years its the very first time a
100 ton ram wont pull a sprocket hub,and its the only 2nd time
in all the years that T & H plant have been pulling sprockets,and
not knowing the history of what pump pushed this on the last
time or who was using it, it could be over the top,tight is tight,
over tight is too tight,some people dont know when enough is
enough,yes acetylene burns hotter than propane but the hub
is too wide for the heat to travel through it before the shaft gets
hot as well, and not enough room to heat up behind it,i think
finnings are the only people with a 150 ton ram.
RB

Traxcavator.
04-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Roly do MST have a 150 tonner ? I only have a little 70 ton ram at present.
Found these people yesterday, im thinking of buying a pin pusher. www.hemsltd.com
Let us Know when pulling commenses and i'll listen out for the Bang !!

AtlasRob
04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Fantastic pictures and info, as always Roly.

As a 17yr old I helped in the strip and rebuild of the back end of a IH B100 Drott. The only time I have been involved in such a job.
As a result I find your posts very intresting and educational. Also slightly mind boggling if I am strictly honest. :cool:

Traxcavator.
04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Rob i have pulled many drott backends......believe me i'd rather be stripping a D8.

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Roly do MST have a 150 tonner ? I only have a little 70 ton ram at present.
Found these people yesterday, im thinking of buying a pin pusher. www.hemsltd.com
Let us Know when pulling commenses and i'll listen out for the Bang !!
Thanks Trax for the link,but there is two others that might have
the big one,thats blackwells or neil becher,i.ll find out tuesday
and might save a small fortune:D

Traxcavator.
04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, i'll bet they're not cheap. If you had bought a 150 ton ram thirty years ago, you could be blowing the dust off it now :D

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 12:13 PM
finnings i think are 120 call out charge then 50hr,if i have
to use em i,ll tell the fitter to leave his van running as the job
wont take long:D
RB

modelman093
04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
when we lifted the LH steering cluch out, the pinion and flange fell
out of the retainer with a total bearing failure after 5500hrs, when
we last rebuilt the cross shaft we used bower bearings,but when we pulled
the outer hub on the final drive timken bearings came out in perfect
condition after 10500hrs,so going to use all timken on the rebuild,
we tried to pull the sprocket with a 100 ton ram but it would,nt budge,
heated it up with the pepper pot while Dick thrashed hell out of it
with a sledge but no luck,we must now look for a 150 tonner:( and
a longer wait before we can peep behind that final drive case:)
RB

Hi Roly
Timkin are the tops with FAG and SKF a close second!
Just how much tonnage will the sprocket stand before something unhelpful happens or is that yet to be determined?! In my trade (don't breath a word!) I've seen a dismayed mechanic looking at a doughnut ring of a flywheel with the hub still firmly in place on the shaft!
Angus

RolyD8k
04-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Roly
Timkin are the tops with FAG and SKF a close second!
Just how much tonnage will the sprocket stand before something unhelpful happens or is that yet to be determined?! In my trade (don't breath a word!) I've seen a dismayed mechanic looking at a doughnut ring of a flywheel with the hub still firmly in place on the shaft!
Angus
Hi Angus,i think the parts are meaty enough to stand 150 ton and more
before anything lets go,and of course its pushing on the hub that
the sprocket is being pulled off of:).
RB

RolyD8k
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
AJ,s new paint job loaded up and off to RAF Marham,but it
did,nt last long on the blade:D
RB

Traxcavator.
05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
It allways amazes me why people waste time and paint on the parts that will be wearing in the soil.....immediately.

d4c24a
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
perhaps manufactures could adopt this and not paint ,tracks/running gear ,buckets etc and make it a bit cheaper ,you could even specifie no paint on the counter weight :D to save scratching it
would it bother anyone if you brought a new dozer and the blade and tracks were brown with rust
must admit it looks the part all painted up
roly did he get a new ash tray for this one ,even though you can't smoke in it :D

Traxcavator.
05-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Graham balance weights are a sore point with me. Why do i waste my time painting them when the come back to the yard. They have a great long arm sticking out the front so why they can't keep they arse end clear is behond me. Yes it looks the part. We do full resprays but never the tracks, front's of blades and parts of excavator buckets.

scaniaman
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
They didn't have to worry about painting the blade on this one

Traxcavator.
05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Bought specially as a scraper tractor Tim. Dont see many pictures of Hamptons gear. cheers .

modelman093
05-04-2010, 05:25 PM
They didn't have to worry about painting the blade on this one

Great picture - any more Hampton images?
Angus

scaniaman
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Angus

No more machine pics Angus i'm afraid but have scans of the 2 1970's Scania 110 low loaders ex Commercial Motor mag that have appeared on some trucking websites-will put them in low loader section if anyones interested.

RolyD8k
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
great picture scaniaman,235hp 22a thanks for posting:)
RB

tctractors
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
This might sound daft, but I still do all the big Spanner Stuff on 3 ex Dick Hampton Tractors, one 22a was bought new in 1966 its only had the 1 Driver, as He bought it off Dick Hampton, he told me he never had a Holiday for 12 years, as someone else would get his Mount, this Chap can go up and down the G/Box like he is Driving a Car,the tractor never missing a Beat, its great to watch him " Giving it The Boot ", on 1 of His Son's Tractors again a 22a I fitted a Decelerator Pedel to help with the Down Shift, but He still cannot Whip his Dad, I enjoy working with these People, and love to be involved with their Hard Working Tractors, I always get Home Knackered, as they want plenty of Action for their Dollar.

tctractors

RolyD8k
05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Angus
Angus,i,ve found a couple pictures of Mick known as(muppet)ex
mj rolls driver stood in front of Dick Hamptons D9 and 637:)
RB

Neil D
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
TC
Any news for me?

Thanks
Neil

modelman093
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
No more machine pics Angus i'm afraid but have scans of the 2 1970's Scania 110 low loaders ex Commercial Motor mag that have appeared on some trucking websites-will put them in low loader section if anyones interested.
Would like to see them. Going to post some from a slightly earlier era before Scania had their own setup in the UK. These were purchased from B & W Motors in Wolverhampton.
Angus

RolyD8k
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
this is one e-mail i,ve saved from 17-12-2002 after i saw a picture in
a mag of a D11R pulling a scraper i could,nt believe my eyes,so i e-mailed
the company and asked for some pictures,they were kind enough to
send the first two pictures with this reply,some time after that they
bought three more:)
RB

Roly:

Its always good to hear from a dirt man. Here are some photo's of our D11R
651 Scrapers.
We have 2 D11Rs, 5 D10's and 5 D9L's with 641 scapers.

Doug McAninch

<<D11.jpg>> <<D11'S.jpg>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scaniaman
06-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Great pictures Roly thanks-I dread to think how much the whole fleet cost. Tim

Traxcavator.
06-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Roly i have heard that McAninch had 60+ tractor drawn scrapers.
I have also heard that the D11 combination was very costly and didn't prove economic. One thing i would like to know is it true that the rate for muck is $12 Yd/3 as i have heard this to be the case. Cant see how we'd ever get 6 quid a metre ???? Any of you American chaps help here ?

RolyD8k
06-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Roly i have heard that McAninch had 60+ tractor drawn scrapers.
I have also heard that the D11 combination was very costly and didn't prove economic. One thing i would like to know is it true that the rate for muck is $12 Yd/3 as i have heard this to be the case. Cant see how we'd ever get 6 quid a metre ???? Any of you American chaps help here ?

yes trax,they have quite a list of plant that makes interesting reading
if you click on equipment and logistics,i,ve heard all sorts of prices for
muckshifting over there,be good to know whats real:confused:all five
D11,s have been sold but they kept the 651 boxes,heres one
being converted,they could have fallen on hard times,
RB

http://www.mcaninchcorp.com/

Traxcavator.
06-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Roly i assume they would have had to buy the complete motorscraper, i wonder what they used for the axle to neck joint. Would a smaller tracor load or even pull the 651 ?

bob
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
looked at there equipment 400 caterpiller machines 19 lowloaders or lowboys thats some kit

RolyD8k
06-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Roly i assume they would have had to buy the complete motorscraper, i wonder what they used for the axle to neck joint. Would a smaller tracor load or even pull the 651 ?

yes Trax,they convert from complete motorscrapers,fabricate
new extra strong axles and beef up the neck,and the only
ball (king bolt) strong enough is from a 24H motor grader,
a friend took these pictures:).
RB

Traxcavator.
06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
A very good job there, where is the ball used on the Grader, the blade frame anchor ? I'll bet that job came to a few grand, as the D11 must be over a million now i gues it's small coins.

RolyD8k
06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=.bob..;9355]looked at there equipment 400 caterpiller machines 19 lowloaders or lowboys thats some kit[/QUOTE
bob,there,s some interesting video clips as well, worth a look.:)

pictures of the donor scrapers,first picture is the new formed neck
with valve block attached,also some tractors in for conversion,there
was also a lot of weight added to the tractors to give more grip.
RB

bob
06-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Thats very interesting I always thought that they left the swan neck and extended it and welded the ball at the bottom:o great photos I am learning all the time

inness
06-04-2010, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=.bob..;9355]looked at there equipment 400 caterpiller machines 19 lowloaders or lowboys thats some kit[/QUOTE
bob,there,s some interesting video clips as well, worth a look.:)

pictures of the donor scrapers,first picture is the new formed neck
with valve block attached,also some tractors in for conversion,there
was also a lot of weight added to the tractors to give more grip.
RB

Brilliant photos Roly,I see the 9L has top rollers fitted,was this an option or a Mcannich mod as I dont remember them on the ones Iworked on,
Innes

Guest1
06-04-2010, 11:42 PM
I may get called a brown noser for this:Dbut heres some pics i took a couple of years ago at Grimethorpe colliery tip when Crouch did a mini opencast,i took the pics while we were off road biking one sunday,thats my mate with the d9 who is 6 foot 5 tall,hope you dont mind me putting these on Roly:)

RolyD8k
07-04-2010, 06:56 AM
great photos thanks Sean,:)
RB

RolyD8k
07-04-2010, 07:03 AM
[QUOTE=RolyD8k;9389]

Brilliant photos Roly,I see the 9L has top rollers fitted,was this an option or a Mcannich mod as I dont remember them on the ones Iworked on,
Innes
bob,i think a caterpillar option,i would never consider buying a
high drive without a top roller,it must take a lot of stress off
the finals with all that weight hanging down,and when in
reverse at high speed the sprocket tends to pull the chain up
creating a wave action,not good:(
RB

Traxcavator.
07-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Not to mention they look crap with out them.

RolyD8k
07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Great pictures Roly thanks-I dread to think how much the whole fleet cost. Tim
Tim,i think they might buy the new kit a favourable rates as
the senior main man is on the caterpillar board of directors
and also do development work for cat with hyd systems,
eg,longer dipper with bigger bucket = more lift,and one of
only a few companys allowed to do there own warrenty work,
fabrication shop had 14 welders but now down to two,the
recesstion must be biting,all this information is available on the net,
and thanks to Allen and others for the photos:)but they still
get bogged:D
RB

traxcavatorpaul
07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Roly your pics are pure digger porn. :D:p Gis a job?

Stock..
07-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Roly your pics are pure digger porn. :D:p Gis a job?

Whats porn? dam fine pictures of exceptional plant ...

RolyD8k
08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=inness;9395]
bob,i think a caterpillar option,i would never consider buying a
high drive without a top roller,it must take a lot of stress off
the finals with all that weight hanging down,and when in
reverse at high speed the sprocket tends to pull the chain up
creating a wave action,not good:(
RB
sorry innes,it was your post and not bob,all these posts are getting
me confused:D getting back to this big ol machine,i bet carting it about
can be fun on a 13 axle trailer,they seem to like beam instead of flatbed.

RB

Neil D
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I may get called a brown noser for this:Dbut heres some pics i took a couple of years ago at Grimethorpe colliery tip when Crouch did a mini opencast,i took the pics while we were off road biking one sunday,thats my mate with the d9 who is 6 foot 5 tall,hope you dont mind me putting these on Roly:)

Sean,
I'm glad you put these photos up,it will probally now be me you lot call a brown noser for saying that!!! Seeing as how I'm one of the gang of five!;);)
Anyhow good photos

Neil

Stock..
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Sean,
I'm glad you put these photos up,it will probally now be me you lot call a brown noser for saying that!!! Seeing as how I'm one of the gang of five!;);)
Anyhow good photos

Neil

What gang of 5??? somebody better start explaining no cosy little arrangements here you know...

ianoz.
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Stock ,Don't let mad irishmen in :confused: Are wait a minute NeilD , Ireland . OOPS someone stuffed up :p. Ian:confused:.

Stock..
09-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Stock ,Don't let mad irishmen in :confused: Are wait a minute NeilD , Ireland . OOPS someone stuffed up :p. Ian:confused:.

there is more than Neil and this pyro from the emerald isle you know;and at a push we can include the mad lord..... as the saying goes "There is the Irish and those who want to be!"

Traxcavator.
09-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm happy being English, and i am happy be friends and associates with Irish lads. I can't see why anyone English would wan't to be Irish and i don't see why anyone Irish would want to be English. We are who we are and we get on and make the most of it !!!
If we get labeled brown Nosers for saying Thankyou then we might as well pack up and and switch off.

Stock..
09-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm happy being English, and i am happy be friends and associates with Irish lads. I can't see why anyone English would wan't to be Irish and i don't see why anyone Irish would want to be English. We are who we are and we get on and make the most of it !!!
If we get labeled brown Nosers for saying Thankyou then we might as well pack up and and switch off.

Well in mho brown noses are bo***Xs and never bring a boll** with you asyou will always find one when you get to your destination....and just for the record a very big thank you to all for making this forum what it is..as informative fun place to visit.

Stock

RolyD8k
09-04-2010, 05:48 PM
ive tried to locate a 150ton ram but no luck,tried Neil Becher and
Blackwells,so got finnings booked for monday morning,i was a bit
out with there labour charge with what i was told,its now 165 call
out charge and 57-50hr, good job i was sitting down or bloody sure
i would have fell over,am going to let them pull the dead shaft as
well theres sure to be metal swath behind it,its rearly hard work
trying to wind it out with bolts.:(
RB

Neil D
09-04-2010, 07:22 PM
What gang of 5??? somebody better start explaining no cosy little arrangements here you know...

Stock
I was referring to myself and a few others being directors of the Link Club and to carry that on a bit further being classed as Caterpillar fanatics, so I mentioned this so,s nobody would take offence :D:D

Neil

Traxcavator.
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
We know about yr little club Mr D ........I too have my copy of the link... NER !!!

Traxcavator.
09-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Roly have you booked them ?

Stock..
09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Stock
I was referring to myself and a few others being directors of the Link Club and to carry that on a bit further being classed as Caterpillar fanatics, so I mentioned this so,s nobody would take offence :D:D

Neil

T'is all right we would want youse in the pyropaddy club.:p:p

tctractors
09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
RB I fit long thread Bolts into 4 of the D/shaft Bolt Holes, then fix on the end plate, I screw the Adaptor onto the end of the D/Shaft ( the 1 you Poke the Pin through) then fit ether a 70 or 100 ton ram and Collar onto the D/Shaft, pin it in, then pump out the Shaft, they come out fairly easy with an Electric Pump, always less than 40 ton on the Clock, your rim thing, I have had a few right Pigs but I always get the Better of them, I fit the Short Legs onto the 100 ton Ram, then take the pressure upto about 80 ton, then use 2 Pepper Pots on the Rim for a few min's then Whack the Rim with the Big Hammer, towards the Case not away from it, I hit it on the segment between the pull legs, if it fails to move, you have it Scared, with the pressure still on it I heat it some More in 3 lines then take the pressure upto 90-95 ton and give it another Smack Between the Legs, I have hit them away from the case but hitting them towards the Case seems to set them free.
whats all that Stupid Trailer thing Needed to move that Tractor, the US Axle Load thing is Nuts.

tctractors

ps the 150 ton Ram is a Hollow Cylinder with no Pin Points, If that fails to Pull it Free,my Pal has a 200 tonner that he uses to pull out Drill Rod.

d4c24a
09-04-2010, 08:58 PM
i can remember my dad talking about something that could not be moved with a puller ,(not sure what but may have been a sprocket) the company he worked for ,rented part of the yard to BOC ,they came over and froze what ever it was ,and it then came off easily

hope you have your camera ready Roly :)
cheers graham

tctractors
09-04-2010, 09:11 PM
And your Wallet RB, I feel I could have set her Flying, but the Firms Flat Out.

tctractors

ps Talks Cheap, it's Results that Count???

Traxcavator.
09-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I would use accetylene too, quicker to heat, also if you use the BOC heating nozzle rather than the pepper pot it is more directional. Ist the hub that needs to be heated, best place really is in the seal trough.

Traxcavator.
09-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I would use accetylene too, quicker to heat, also if you use the BOC heating nozzle rather than the pepper pot it is more directional. It's the sprocket hub that needs to be heated after all, not the sprocket, best place really is in the seal oring trough.
SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST EDITED AND IT SPRUNG UP TWICE ???

ianoz.
10-04-2010, 12:43 AM
I would use accetylene too, quicker to heat, also if you use the BOC heating nozzle rather than the pepper pot it is more directional. It's the sprocket hub that needs to be heated after all, not the sprocket, best place really is in the seal oring trough.
SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST EDITED AND IT SPRUNG UP TWICE ???

Excuses ,excuses :p .Ian .

brian potter
10-04-2010, 06:15 AM
A driver's I work with gave me a copy of these's pics of him on the M6 at Carlise in 1970. Didnt know Hewden had ran D8s.

ianoz.
10-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi Bryan potter , Nice tidy looking machines , Thank your mate for letting us see them :). Ian.

RolyD8k
10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
And your Wallet RB, I feel I could have set her Flying, but the Firms Flat Out.

tctractors

ps Talks Cheap, it's Results that Count???
tc,i remember you saying you had replaced your 100 tonner with a
new one so i thought no need to ring as we had done all we could
with a 100 tonner and got good and hot around the seal groove
and hub,the 150 tonner will give us the result.
RB

tctractors
10-04-2010, 09:28 PM
RB the toughest Rim I ever had was off a Side Boom that was rusted like a Fiat Tractor, in the end I removed the complete F/Drive off the D8 and set it down on some baulks of Timber facing up to the Moon, I then Pumped the rim right tight , linked up on the short legs to the ram, let it sit under load for about 5 mins,Whilst I Rev'd up my self, then set 2 Pepper pots on it for a few Mins, then let fly with my 28 lb Sledge Hammer, hitting it down like an empty Beer Glass, the crack as it broke itself free, plus all the " Far Cannel that got er Comments" pleased me Heaps, its only a Bit of Iron.

blowing it on. tctractors

RolyD8k
13-04-2010, 06:25 PM
the sprocket finaly let go at 125 ton,+ a good clout with a sledge,
the 150 ton ram thats fixed to and held up by the dead shaft is a
lot easier to assemble than the 100 tonner thats held up suspended
by three legs,plus the button on an electric motor is easier than pumping
a handle:Dfailure started with the intermediate pinion bearing breaking up
then over loading top pinion bearing before final failure.
RB

Richard
13-04-2010, 06:32 PM
what a bar steward!......annoying as bu99ery when you you've exhausted all means available and the ornamant just sits in the workshop looking at 'ee.

Anyway all's well that ends up alright here then, Roly.

Excuse the higgerant question but what was that sprocket tight on, the splines or what? Can't quite make it out from here.

(try to sound like an ex spert here) is the top pinion teeth still alright or are they damaged too?

RolyD8k
13-04-2010, 08:23 PM
yes Richard,got there in the end,:)the sprockets on a tapered spline
i guess it was pushed on extra tight the last time it was apart,the top
pinion,intermediate and bull gear are all scrap,in first pic the top pinion
goes in the hole at the top which runs in the intermediate gear which
turnes the bull gear which its hub is splined up for the sprocket hub,
i got finnings to pull the dead shaft because metal debry can collect
behind it and cause problems later on,as a lot of people have found
out with more bearing failures,good job i did as it took over 75 ton to
pull it out,screwing long bolts through the dead shaft and into the chassis,
which the ram pushes against while pulling the shaft out by a coller screwed
on the outer end,all that leaves to do is wash down and put back together:)
RB

Traxcavator.
13-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Roly, looks like finning sent you out a guy that knows his stuff. I take it the casing is ok ? Did you wash out the frame and get the dead shaft back in while the finning man was still with you ? Do you use genuine gears ? What sort of cost you looking at for the bull and intermediate pinion and gear ?

tctractors
13-04-2010, 09:00 PM
RB, Ive never had a Dead Shaft go as High as 65 ton to start off on the way out, perhaps that Tractor is just a Tight Pig all round, I always use the same 110 Volt Pump if I am near a Plug, as it cuts down a good bit on the Elbow Work, I supose your last "Oil Sample SOS" Flagged up a Slightly High Partical Reading;).

tctractors

ps. for the last few Years I always Pull the Shafts, to dig out all the crap, as you cannot remove all the bits with it left in. ( only the Oil Pumped F/Drives should have the D/Shafts removed to clean after Part/Bearing Damage, as oil passes through the Centre of the Shaft to feed the outer Bearings) " For those that dont Know, not you RB."

Traxcavator.
13-04-2010, 09:02 PM
...and whats wrong with a tight pig once in a while ?

tctractors
13-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Well trax its caused this Man some Aggro, plus a Double amount of Work and Delay in the Bargain, its bad enough doing it the Once, some Tractors just seem to be Tough Going, with the Bolts Nuts and everything Else a Dog to get to Bits.

tctractors

Traxcavator.
13-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Im fully aware of that, i thought i'd inject a little humour, seems it went right over, should have used a pretty coloured face :). I started running my own business as a fitter out the back of a Datsun 620 pick up truck 28 years ago, believe me Tony i've had my un fair share of downs.....one thing this forums members all seem to have is a sense of humour, another must in our heavy hard working business, im sure you agree on that one !:D

Guest1
14-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Woooooo girls,hand bags at dawn:p

tctractors
14-04-2010, 07:20 AM
I dont think its Handbag stuff, possibly I should have put up a few Wink faces, I used to do a good bit of Work for a Co with about 10 CAT 951/955 Tracked Loaders, a few they Bought from the Coal Board, the others were Bought New, the Ex Coal Loaders were absolute Dogs to Work on, the Bolts would Snap off even if they were loose, it made my skill with a Cutting Torch A1 at cutting out the Bolt Stumps, but what a Pain it was to even do a small Job like Pump the Tracks out, as the cover lids would be stuck solid.

tctractors

Guest1
14-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Its hard to think that the Coal board used so many track loaders,wheel loaders would be better for that application exclusively dont you think TC?Cadbey Colliery in my village used Barford and Weatherhill loaders,it would have been horrid in a track loader with so many train lines to cross all the time:eek::)

RolyD8k
14-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Roly, looks like finning sent you out a guy that knows his stuff. I take it the casing is ok ? Did you wash out the frame and get the dead shaft back in while the finning man was still with you ? Do you use genuine gears ? What sort of cost you looking at for the bull and intermediate pinion and gear ?
yes Trax,nigel gets on with it,no we did,nt hang on to him, after a lot
of washing out we will wind it back in ourself(hopefully:))as weave
done in the past,cat bull gear = 2395 CGR = 445 cat pinion = 1740
CGR = 200 total job cost genuine cat 12689 CGR 2874
i,ve found CGR parts are the best aftermarket there is and a big saving:)
RB

RolyD8k
14-04-2010, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=tctractors;9906]RB, I supose your last "Oil Sample SOS" Flagged up a Slightly High Partical Reading;).

tctractors

tc,i dont bother to take oil samples from the back end its a waste
of time, as there is always some gear swath to be found
i first found metal slithers in this final drive 5500hrs ago mainly off tops
of gears but no bearing fragments, so i let it go on,oil samples woulda
been off the scale with metal.
RB

tctractors
14-04-2010, 08:24 PM
RB, I was sort of hoping you would Smile at the Oil Sample thing, I always find Quarrys are in Love with Oil Sampling, I have yet to Work for a Big Tractor Man that would Pay Hard Brass for that Service, the Oil Sample off that B/End would have to be sent on a Fork Lift as the Postmans Bag would be Damaged with the Weight;);).

tctractors

Traxcavator.
14-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Tony those old track loaders made you money and kept you busy.:)
Roly CG Ricambi gears are definately the best you can get,from my experiance. I'm not so sure originals are worth the extra,:D are classic parts available at all for D8K's ?
Had a shock today, MST quoted me 2650 per Berco chain for a D58P Their alternative that they reccomend was 1850, they reckon Komatsu use every Tom dick and harold these days...

RolyD8k
15-04-2010, 09:14 PM
RB, I was sort of hoping you would Smile at the Oil Sample thing, I always find Quarrys are in Love with Oil Sampling, I have yet to Work for a Big Tractor Man that would Pay Hard Brass for that Service, the Oil Sample off that B/End would have to be sent on a Fork Lift as the Postmans Bag would be Damaged with the Weight;);).

tctractors

yes tc i did:),and i also smiled when finnings fitter said a poster in there
place read if it aint broke fix it,a good motto for oil sampling a:D
RB

RolyD8k
15-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Tony those old track loaders made you money and kept you busy.:)
Roly CG Ricambi gears are definately the best you can get,from my experiance. I'm not so sure originals are worth the extra,:D are classic parts available at all for D8K's ?
Had a shock today, MST quoted me 2650 per Berco chain for a D58P Their alternative that they reccomend was 1850, they reckon Komatsu use every Tom dick and harold these days...
yes Trax,a good few classic parts are available for D8,s,some good,some
not so good,cat claim classic parts are made from the original drawings
but with no updates,dont know what drawing they mean, probably of
micky mouse because i bought a classic D8 final drive outer hub and the
key-way which locks it in the roller frame was on the wrong side,we had
to grind the opposite side of the outer coller to clamp it down:confused:
those tracks seem expensive is the D58P a D5 size machine.
RB

Traxcavator.
15-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi Roly, same drawings but arse about face eh :) Same drawings different materials i'd say. The D58P is a D5 size machine, But believe me they push with viggor.....My lads have operated D6H & R tractors, Komatsu D65PX 12 and 15 series and they say the 58P's (with no Turbo's) Push better than all Weight for weight, They are good old style robust tractors !! 11 litre engines, unlike our five H with 3304 engine or 6M with 6 litres, I don't know whats wrong with Caterpillar these days !!
I had to change fuel filters on a D6 N today, what a polava !! 3 filters nearly 80 quid !! Common rail.. C6 Engine.....some very similar looks to the Cummins Paccar C series mmmm

RolyD8k
16-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I had to change fuel filters on a D6 N today, what a polava !! 3 filters nearly 80 quid !! Common rail.. C6 Engine.....some very similar looks to the Cummins Paccar C series mmmm

Trax,that must be genuine cat for 80,we serviced our D6M today
engine oil and two diesel filters (fleetguard)did,nt come to 30,also
welded two clips on the blade for a laser pole,its going out next
tuesday,my lad washed out the D8 back end and shimmed up the
cross-shaft,he boiled the cross shaft bearings in oil at 150c and
they almost fell on only needing a slight tap,after freezing a bearing
cup for two hrs it dropped easily into the bearing cage,the spare
trans will go in next so lad can set up the backlash for the pinion.
RB

Stock..
16-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Didn't know puegeot parts were fitted to D8 ......where do the front springs go??

Traxcavator.
16-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Roly i take it you set the rolling pre load on the bearings too. Do you have a pull load on the bearings if the transmission is still in the frame ? ie the crownwheel and pinion meshed ? also do you have to take the convertor out to enable the trans to be taken out on the D8's ?

RolyD8k
16-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Didn't know puegeot parts were fitted to D8 ......where do the front springs go??

Stock,they must fit the D6M,they were both put together in France
and all the bolts are bloody metric instead of AF:confused:
RB

Traxcavator.
16-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Roly our D5HLGP has good solid imperial threads, The D6MXL is bloody Metric !! I never thought Cat would crumble !!:mad::mad:

RolyD8k
16-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Roly i take it you set the rolling pre load on the bearings too. Do you have a pull load on the bearings if the transmission is still in the frame ? ie the crownwheel and pinion meshed ? also do you have to take the convertor out to enable the trans to be taken out on the D8's ?
Trax,yes we set the bearing pre load,its easier with the trans out as
you can leave the crown wheel on,with trans in you take the crown
wheel off,and that is bloody heavy and awkward to lift out,after thats
set we pop the trans in and set the back lash to the pinion,the trans
can be taken out before the torque or vise verser:).
RB

RolyD8k
16-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Roly our D5HLGP has good solid imperial threads, The D6MXL is bloody Metric !! I never thought Cat would crumble !!:mad::mad:
Trax,i know bloody frustrating:mad:,and crazy:mad:
RB

Traxcavator.
16-04-2010, 10:36 PM
The Komatu 58 i think has a rolling pull that can be done with the tranmission in and the crownwheel in mesh. We have had a whole back end out, and transmission. Rebuilt the final drives and and the tracks are back on. We have to fit a new pinion and preload it before the trans goes back in. We will rebuild it first. It is bloody chunky for a 140 horse 15 tonne machine. I'll post some pictures.

diggerman
17-04-2010, 07:01 AM
please excuse my ignorance but in the photos above,the ram paralell with the top of the blade,is it for tilting the blade up and down left and right
nick.........

diggerhayne
17-04-2010, 07:33 AM
please excuse my ignorance but in the photos above,the ram paralell with the top of the blade,is it for tilting the blade up and down left and right
nick.........

yes nick that is to tilt the blade:D

RolyD8k
17-04-2010, 01:34 PM
The Komatu 58 i think has a rolling pull that can be done with the tranmission in and the crownwheel in mesh. We have had a whole back end out, and transmission. Rebuilt the final drives and and the tracks are back on. We have to fit a new pinion and preload it before the trans goes back in. We will rebuild it first. It is bloody chunky for a 140 horse 15 tonne machine. I'll post some pictures.
Trax,can you get aftermarket parts for you komatsu,s or do they have
to be genuine parts,were waiting on bulldog D8 exhaust manifold gaskets from
the US,coming by air freight monday,but the volcano,s buggerd that up:mad:
RB

tctractors
17-04-2010, 08:12 PM
RB, that outer Hub Support thing has me sort of Puzzled???, (Italian Parts) as the same support fits both sides, on the nearside Frame the key sits towards the front, on the offside Frame the Key sits facing toward the rear, any shimming is done on the Non Key side only, I have never had any dodges with the Support Hub, the clamping Collar fits ether side as the Key is always set on your Left Hand when facing the Frame, no odds just has me scratching my Smooth (For a Few Weeks) Head.

tctractors

ps. any work planned on the Engine of the K.

Traxcavator.
17-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Roly, We can get aftermarket part for the Komatsu's, not near as many as the Caterpillar availability tho'. KM products at chertsey sell cat parts as well as Kommie. Henry Price in Rockhampton, Trodham Plant in Bordon also do cat parts. You Know Jonnie Moore and Jaytrac, Blaumac are meant to be good too. We are just about to rebuild a Komatsu Trans, no meck probs she's done 12,000 hrs, pinion lost a tooth. I have all new parts from Komatsu tho. Parts i would like to get like Trunnions, brackets and caps arn't available Had to pay 1200 for a push arm tunnion bracket inc end cap. the other smaller side we use D4 parts from John. Same as balls for blade tilt rams and wind round adjusters. We can get the sockets and caps too.

Traxcavator.
17-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Northern runway goes right in line with the old fella's house, and our yard, He asked me tonite if we can start at 9 in morning as he wants to relish the silence, If i get fat at the cafe in the morning it his fault not mine !!:D

RolyD8k
18-04-2010, 12:22 PM
RB, that outer Hub Support thing has me sort of Puzzled???, (Italian Parts) as the same support fits both sides, on the nearside Frame the key sits towards the front, on the offside Frame the Key sits facing toward the rear, any shimming is done on the Non Key side only, I have never had any dodges with the Support Hub, the clamping Collar fits ether side as the Key is always set on your Left Hand when facing the Frame, no odds just has me scratching my Smooth (For a Few Weeks) Head.

tctractors

ps. any work planned on the Engine of the K.
tc,as i said the key way on the classic hub is on the wrong side,
put another way on the near side and sits towards the back,so the
clamping coller has no groove for the key to sit in,hence the reason
to grind out another,cat would have changed the hub but it was a
week away in the US and we needed the tractor,and no nothing
planned for the engine:)
RB

RolyD8k
18-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Roly, We can get aftermarket part for the Komatsu's, not near as many as the Caterpillar availability tho'. KM products at chertsey sell cat parts as well as Kommie. Henry Price in Rockhampton, Trodham Plant in Bordon also do cat parts. You Know Jonnie Moore and Jaytrac, Blaumac are meant to be good too. We are just about to rebuild a Komatsu Trans, no meck probs she's done 12,000 hrs, pinion lost a tooth. I have all new parts from Komatsu tho. Parts i would like to get like Trunnions, brackets and caps arn't available Had to pay 1200 for a push arm tunnion bracket inc end cap. the other smaller side we use D4 parts from John. Same as balls for blade tilt rams and wind round adjusters. We can get the sockets and caps too.
yes Trax,thank goodness for these aftermarket boys or we would be
at the mercy of the main dealers,KM products used to supply our D8 fanbelts
until recently now you cant stop em flying off,you can see why when you
hold them next to Jaytracks,they must have changed supplier.
RB

Traxcavator.
19-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I buy belts from finning Roly and filters. Same with Volvo and Komatsu although the Cummins engine parts come from cummins. We try to make savings on the large stuff. Get a price for Berco tracks or chains, make sure your in a seat with a belt to hold you in !!!

RolyD8k
28-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I buy belts from finning Roly and filters. Same with Volvo and Komatsu although the Cummins engine parts come from cummins. We try to make savings on the large stuff. Get a price for Berco tracks or chains, make sure your in a seat with a belt to hold you in !!!
Trax,two D8 service ex brake bands are 1198-86 plus a core charge if
any are damaged another 907-22,so i bought CGR brake lineings and
rivets for 350 and do it in house,to retrack with cat a D6H-R LGP before
discount is now 19500-00, some more pictures of cannock job yesterday,
this heap must be getting dizzy. :)
RB

Traxcavator.
28-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Roly, There's something satisfying about riveting your own brake linings, maybe it's the cash you know your saving as you hit the rivet ballanced on an old bolt in the vice !!! if we work hourly i want 37/hr for D5/D58 And 45/hr for D6LGP/D65P Plus fuel Are you in the same ball park..........?

Richard
29-04-2010, 04:19 AM
some more pictures of cannock job yesterday,
this heap must be getting dizzy. :)

Got any shots of the dozers tidying up that heap? (I see the cleat marks there - just want to see exactly how steep it is)

ianoz.
29-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Great ongoing photos roly :). That heap is fast becoming a hill .You would need to put a beacon on top of it soon to warn low flying aircraft soon !!! Ian

RolyD8k
30-04-2010, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=Traxcavator.; if we work hourly i want 37/hr for D5/D58 And 45/hr for D6LGP/D65P Plus fuel Are you in the same ball park..........?[/QUOTE]

yes Trax,thats what i want,but dont always get,and if your buying
a new machine thats the rate you need,some hirers this way have
been up to 10hr cheaper than that,but thankfully there not around
for long.

RolyD8k
30-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Got any shots of the dozers tidying up that heap? (I see the cleat marks there - just want to see exactly how steep it is)

Richard,heres some pictures filling the other side of the heap,it has
to be compacted and trimmed each time we move it,the D6,s stick
to the batters better than a D8 and no job for the faint hearted:D

AtlasRob
02-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Fantastic set of pictures as always Roly.

Prices you guys have to pay for parts to keep those machines earning is quite frightening,:eek: I moan about the cost of tyres :o

Traxcavator.
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Rob there are nine wheeled 360 beasts on the McArdle M25 job. Went through at 6.30 S'mornin on the way To Duxford for some parts.

AtlasRob
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
there are nine wheeled 360 beasts on the McArdle M25 job.

And hopefully they will stay there for the next section that is just starting :D a couple of those were probably Dynes and Mick O'B can afford to park a couple up for a month if things get quiet anyway ;)

RolyD8k
21-05-2010, 09:01 PM
in two days we managed a 2000hr service, all oils and filters + blade
re-skin + fit new exhaust and a few track plate bolts here and there,
then a good steam clean,tractor came in from Brighton job and back
out in 48hrs to a project at Biscester for rest of the year till xmas,its
the first time its been in the yard since i bought it 18 months ago,
loaded it yesterday morning.

Traxcavator.
21-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Roly Hi, did you say you used 12 mil plate for skinning, It looks like you put it on in two sections we allways use three sections to make sure we have enough of the new skin welded to the original mould board, also we only use MMA for heavy work like this. Also do you roll your own sheet ? We have taken to pressing ours into shape after having a shoddy job done for us in the past with traditional rolling mill.
Regards Trax.

d4c24a
21-05-2010, 09:27 PM
great job Roly ,i bet you were busy for those two days
thats nice to get a hire of that length of time
cheers graham

AtlasRob
21-05-2010, 10:50 PM
,its
the first time its been in the yard since i bought it 18 months ago,
loaded it yesterday morning.

Thats the way to treat em Roly :D make em earn a living but show them they get a bit of love and attention when they do come home. :cool:

Nice hire by the sounds of it.

You say Brighton and I see the chalk, was it Newhaven way, Costains job?

RolyD8k
22-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Roly Hi, did you say you used 12 mil plate for skinning, It looks like you put it on in two sections we allways use three sections to make sure we have enough of the new skin welded to the original mould board, also we only use MMA for heavy work like this. Also do you roll your own sheet ? We have taken to pressing ours into shape after having a shoddy job done for us in the past with traditional rolling mill.
Regards Trax.

Trax, we used two sections of 10mm plate and welded with mig,
rolled to shape and never had a problem,we dont slot and weld
in the centre only round the outside it comes off easier that way.

RolyD8k
22-05-2010, 08:19 AM
thats nice to get a hire of that length of time
cheers graham
Graham,yes it looks to be a decent hire,thirty weeks now,then
close the job for two months then another twenty weeks to end
of contract.:)

John Gaunt
22-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Great pictures, as always, Roly. Keep em coming !

RolyD8k
22-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats the way to treat em Roly :D make em earn a living but show them they get a bit of love and attention when they do come home. :cool:

Nice hire by the sounds of it.

You say Brighton and I see the chalk, was it Newhaven way, Costains job?

Rob,its good when one job follows another,like another D6R i bought
five years ago last january and managed to keep in work has yet never
been in our yard,the chalky Brighton job is Falmer,s new football stadium,
earthworks have stopped for the time being,the chalk soon rubs away
the cutting edges.

Traxcavator.
22-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Roly we don't slot weld either, just two verticals as we allways use three plates. If the original mould board gets very thin we find it is better to maintain the strength of the blade. We stripped one blade back to the bones once as the Mould board was worn through in places. After a sandblast and paint it looked like a new unit.
Do you roll the plate yourselves ?

RolyD8k
22-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Roly we don't slot weld either, just two verticals as we allways use three plates. If the original mould board gets very thin we find it is better to maintain the strength of the blade. We stripped one blade back to the bones once as the Mould board was worn through in places. After a sandblast and paint it looked like a new unit.
Do you roll the plate yourselves ?

no Trax no need to,i get it rolled,and its allways as good as the template.

Traxcavator.
22-05-2010, 07:29 PM
We used to get it rolled, but the guy who rolled it for the company went and died poor chap, the other blokes couldn't get the template shape so we do our own on the press. We have a 70 tonne press, wouldn't be with out it !! :D

RolyD8k
22-05-2010, 09:38 PM
the first D6 hi-drive i bought was in june 2001,finnings found it
on there computor locked away in a barn in belgium,it was a
1995 D6HLGP,an industrialist bought it,put 1005hrs on it then
parked it up for five years,he covered the blade rods and tilt
ram rod with black grease to stop them rusting,they then
shipped it over and tranported it to site with a three month
warrenty at well under half price of new,it was like a new tractor
just run in,its now done 16500hrs,no failures but engine started
breathing so it was re-rung last year with a set of main and big
end shells rolled in,torque and trans was pulled and was re-bearing
and re-sealed,here some pictures they e-mailed me at the time.

d4c24a
22-05-2010, 09:50 PM
great story Roly
that was some good deal :cool:
it looks like there may have been more things parked in the shed :)
cheers graham

AtlasRob
22-05-2010, 10:40 PM
.............it was a
1995 D6HLGP,an industrialist bought it,put 1005hrs on it then
parked it up for five years,

Some great result you got there Roly. I thought things like that only happened in fairy stories or to other people.
You just renewed my faith in the unlikely and/or impossible happening and it being a good thing :D

RolyD8k
23-05-2010, 09:53 AM
just dug the paper work out, the price was only just over half at 75k
not well under,another good bit is the tractor was late coming over
so finning loaned me one free of charge for two weeks,when i asked
why the delay and the rep said the owner wanted 2/3rds of the money
in cash so not to pay any tax,how they got past that one i dont know
but the rep said he got his cash:D

Neil D
23-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi Roly,
Its always nice to get a wee lift like that now and again!
regards
Neil

diggerhayne
23-05-2010, 03:50 PM
many yrs ago a friend of mine brought a 963 cat drott ,that was one off two that a company had brought and parked in the back of the factory,they had no intrest in plant,it was just a tax loss,my friend said its the only time he never quibbled over the price,i think it was about 4yrs old:D:D

RolyD8k
23-05-2010, 08:43 PM
some pictures of the machine working a few years back,we
later added our own air-con a bernie neil system on the roof,
cheap and reliable,its currently working for john jones on the
421 bedford.

modelman093
23-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Roly,
Always wondered was there ever a John Jones company or is it just a made up name for the earthmoving division of VINCI Construction UK Limited?
Seem to remember that all Laing's stuff was operated as Elstree plant and all Costain's was Westminster Plant.
Angus

Traxcavator.
23-05-2010, 10:19 PM
This is hear say, but, "The John Jones".. i'm told, lives down in Dorset.

go back
24-05-2010, 07:21 PM
john jones went on to be a major shareholder in bradbury tractors no longer around and lives in america has done for several years now

Traxcavator.
24-05-2010, 09:16 PM
That's scotched that rumour then !!!! although it was 12 years ago. :)

AtlasRob
25-05-2010, 09:33 PM
This is hear say, but, "The John Jones".. i'm told, lives down in Dorset.

Did he have a brother that got into singing?

Traxcavator.
25-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Oah thaht must be tormus !!