PDA

View Full Version : Expander pins

Dougone
23-02-2012, 09:32 PM
My 688 is a trifle slack (hanging)
Anyone used expander pins http://www.msttracks.com/other_products.html or are they frowned upon? should I just bite the bullet and get it bored and bushed.

komatsu
23-02-2012, 09:54 PM
a firm i work hand in glove with have just had their 8 wheeler hook lift sent up their to mst and they did a very good job at a resonably price:)

Waterfall Formwork
23-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Tried them years ago on a hanix 3ton for a customer but to be honest if i was back again weld and bore is the way to go

Local Diggers
23-02-2012, 10:07 PM
What do they cost?

Dougone
23-02-2012, 10:16 PM
What do they cost?

I don't know . I thought I would ask on the forum whether they were any good before asking the price. The idea strikes me as a bit of a bodge but I'm open minded.

cps140
23-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi Doug, in short they do work! But they need torqued up every so many hours and checked regularly! Which in most cases does not happen then your back to square one!!
Plus they are expensive, i priced one for a job last year which i couldnt get the line boring machine into! in the end i used a smaller boring bar and it still worked out cheaper!

Ps Where you based?

Aiden

Dougone
23-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi Aiden, Thanks for that. I'm in Dorset, so a bit out of your area. Any recommendations locally?

diggerhayne
24-02-2012, 07:14 AM
reeds up at melksham do line boring on site,very helpfull company,:D

Dougone
24-02-2012, 11:56 AM
reeds up at melksham do line boring on site,very helpfull company,:D

Thanks I'll give them a call.

Traxcavator.
25-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Expander bolts are ok in certain circumstances but only as a temporary repair. As Aiden says they need constant maintenance. We have come across circumstances where the expander bolt has dropped out and caused a lot of expensive damage, in steering systems it can be dangerous. Welding and line boring can be expensive. I too use Arthur Reed but it is cheaper to take you job too him if possible.
They have moved to Market Lavington. www.reedsltd.com

Dougone
06-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Well thanks for your replies, having done the maths I've decided to replace the buckets, pins, bushes and seals. By the time that I've weighed the old buckets in there wont be a lot of difference to find and I get new wear plates to boot.

Local Diggers
02-05-2013, 03:46 PM
this thread comes up at third on google for expander pins, mr reed owes you a drink tim! :cool: however mst wont be too happy with us.

Traxcavator.
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
We do a lot of business with MST and I am only speaking as I find ..... :)
We have two sets of 40 tonne excavator tracks about to be repinned and bushed so I think they may take it on the chin .... :)