PDA

View Full Version : Smalley excavators the first zero tail swing

Guest1
27-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Being more interested in older plant and constantly looking in to all things old I have come to the conclusion that Smalley Excavators were the first makers of the zero tail swing excavator with out probably even knowing what they had hit on to wich all others were to follow,does Smalley get royalties for the invention ...I don't know?What does any one else think.

Mintsauce
27-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Highly likely. I also think they were the first into the tilty market too.

Guest1
27-04-2013, 11:17 AM
As much as I dislike the subject of tilting buckets I have litriture with pictures of jcb's own tilting bucket from the late 60's.

left hooker
29-04-2013, 07:15 PM
here you go sean
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/cozzieking/Facebook/random%20diggers/182570_4529357027664_282550394_n.jpg

Guest1
29-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I can picture JD450 out on hire with that knocking some work out:D

left hooker
29-04-2013, 08:00 PM

yeah lol there is a quick hitch built in to the top of the dipper stick if you look close not sure what would go in the place of the dipper stick

JD450A
29-04-2013, 08:07 PM

For the right price it'd be a useful machine

mogman
29-04-2013, 08:21 PM
yeah lol there is a quick hitch built in to the top of the dipper stick if you look close not sure what would go in the place of the dipper stick

so you can put a long reach demo arm on of course;):D

Paul.

Old Operator
28-06-2013, 04:50 PM
This Smalley 15 has come to light 70 HP, 8 imp ton
http://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/?p=4616

I am more interested to see a 10 or any info, drove one once.
Is true in a way that the first zts was a smalley, but the feet splay out to a 7 ft square so there was much leeway for the tailswing within this.
The turquoise digger is a 425 cemetry hoe, travel speed is too slow to make it useable for a 'one man band'

Chumlee
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM

The dipper arm unhooks and the hoses to the bucket ram are QR fit, then a 4 in 1 loader bucket goes on there. The dipper ram controls the bucket scoop/dump, and the bucket ram hoses plug in to operate the 4 in 1 bucket open/close.

Ian

800CLC
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Has anybody here owned or operated one of those Smalley excavators? They sure had some interesting variations I believe they had one or several models that you could tow behind a truck or lorry. Did they make conventional tracked machines as well?

Old Operator
06-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi, I have operated 5's & once briefly a 10 (both of these are towable & 'walk' whilst on site- there is no power to the two wheels) All of the model 5 prior to the 5W have nothing hydraulic passing throu the centre of slew. A vertical rod does pass throu, allowing the leg pair closest to the axle to be unlocked from the seat. The bucket then jacks the axle & wheels up, allowing the leg pair to be re locked. Individual wheels cannot be at different heights, thus the machine is fine on an up & down slope but is not comfortable on anything but the mildest of cross slopes. the models run like this, 5 mk 1, no offset - approx made '62 -'72. Mk2, offset '72 - '76. Mk 3, offset, '76 - '82 engine mounted a bit lower & a bit more vandalproof. A good place to see the differences is here
http://www.oilyhands.co.uk/smalley_towable_diggers.htm. There is also a 10 & a 425 cemetry duck. Also among the brochures is a 5T - 80's crawler base.
The 5W, 80s, did have hydraulic control of individual wheel heights but
could only manage a plumb trench across a 1 in 3.66 cross slope - also is only 5ft 3 wide & this wheel track cannot be widened (also needed for steeper 'side on' slope operation). Some useful work can be done with them, but do not confuse them with even early simple models of say the Euromach Jolly spider. A plus point is this though, hydraulic failure cannot put these machines in any danger of tipping. Pete

800CLC
06-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Pretty neat machines and simply built. I completely forgot about that oilyhands website I see that Smalley is still in business but only makes the cemetery digger and the floating one I watched the youtube video of the floater it's pretty neat but must be kinda annoying to be bobbing around without anything to anchor it firmly to the bottom. And I guess it can only really work over the sides with the wheely legs to help steady it. It would still fill a niche where modified diggers or 180 swing machines would struggle at best.

dhutch
12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Hi, I have operated 5's & once briefly a 10 (both of these are towable & 'walk' whilst on site. Pete
Cant PM you as I dont have enough posts, but I have recently acquired one (ex waterway recover group) and and trying to find out a bit more about them. What work where you doing with the machines? What age/time? Any photos. Thanks.

Daniel

Old Operator
12-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Hi, it was all a long time ago, late 70s / early 80s, the 5 was used on a couple of jobs, one was the re sewering of some narrow roads around Ironbridge, also it was later used in a coffer dam to load crane buckets (digging for the foundations of a large storm water outfall on the severn. At the time the first mini excavators were appearing, but these were Japanese made & very expensive (13K - same price as the Case 580F!!) The 10 was borrowed from another contractor to allow a sewer line to be dug up an extreme slope.
No Pics but if you can post one I can roughly date the era of your machine. I did once hear a tale of the WRG buying a Smalley 5 by a mass collection of 'Green Shield' stamps! If you have a means of offset on the boom it is '72 on

dhutch
13-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Hi, it was all a long time ago, late 70s / early 80s, the 5 was used on a couple of jobs, one was the re sewering of some narrow roads around Ironbridge, also it was later used in a coffer dam to load crane buckets (digging for the foundations of a large storm water outfall on the severn. At the time the first mini excavators were appearing, but these were Japanese made & very expensive (13K - same price as the Case 580F!!) The 10 was borrowed from another contractor to allow a sewer line to be dug up an extreme slope.
No Pics but if you can post one I can roughly date the era of your machine. I did once hear a tale of the WRG buying a Smalley 5 by a mass collection of 'Green Shield' stamps! If you have a means of offset on the boom it is '72 on

I like it, I have also heard (googled records of) WRG buying a machine with stamps, as yet I dont really know how many machines they had, but I have been trying to dig up as many photos as I can on the internet and stir up WRG members and others to try and find more.

Daniel