PDA

View Full Version : Home made saw

mogman
23-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by mogman

We also made a saw which used a 39" seg blade aswell

Paul.
What the hell were you cutting with that!!!!!

Looks a pukka job guys

Well I thought i'd move this here
This is the prototype seg saw we made (Leaky and I) just fitted another ram on the lowering side of things and a lick of paint then it was of to do over 500 cuts through 3/4" plate and girder;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDpsE6Q4_n4

Paul.

GB_Groundworks
23-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Great job, what was the motor off?

Did you then pull it back to cut the rest of the plate?

mogman
23-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Great job, what was the motor off?

Did you then pull it back to cut the rest of the plate?

Not sure what the motor was on....we have a few knocking round of different things;)........ as for the cutting the job was cutting low sided tanks which had ebonite lining on the sides so couldn't use burning gear but could on the base so only had to cut down the side and through the base plate until we was far enough away from the side so the ebonite didn't start to give of heavy vapours:eek:

so had to cut a 12" channel
a rubber gasket
3/4" steel plate
3/8" copper plate
and the top webb of the support channel

Paul.

V8Druid
24-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Paul.
What the hell were you cutting with that!!!!!

Looks a pukka job guys

Well I thought i'd move this here
This is the prototype seg saw we made (Leaky and I) just fitted another ram on the lowering side of things and a lick of paint then it was of to do over 500 cuts through 3/4" plate and girder;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDpsE6Q4_n4

Paul.

Great vid guys. Only comment I'd make on't saw is that usually the blade cuts away from the job to eject the swarf more efficiently and prevent 'dig in/bite', but obviously, with the number of cuts you did with it, it worked exceptionally well.
How many blades did you get through, especially with the ebonite in the equation ?? Gotta hand it to you two, yerz a canny pair in the creativity stakes.
Is that a dumper drop box between motor and blade??

mogman
24-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Great vid guys. Only comment I'd make on't saw is that usually the blade cuts away from the job to eject the swarf more efficiently and prevent 'dig in/bite', but obviously, with the number of cuts you did with it, it worked exceptionally well.
How many blades did you get through, especially with the ebonite in the equation ?? Gotta hand it to you two, yerz a canny pair in the creativity stakes.
Is that a dumper drop box between motor and blade??

The reason for the blade to travel the way it does is so that it pulls towards the machine therefore holds itself tight and the clamping arm (that has a nitrogen accumulator) isn't under to much pressure;)

We bought 3 blades (only because the segments in the first one didn't fit the second:mad:)

Leaky made a sharpening jig that consisted of a 6" bench grinder with a cutting disc in and a simple pillar drill stand and gave the blades a rub up at night;)

as for the 'drop box' it is a fenner 20-1 shaft reduction unit from a spreader beam (the type found on a container carrying machine that can spread from 20' to 40' containers)

Paul.

V8Druid
24-08-2013, 06:52 PM
The reason for the blade to travel the way it does is so that it pulls towards the machine therefore holds itself tight and the clamping arm (that has a nitrogen accumulator) isn't under to much pressure;)

That makes a lot of sense, especially as there was only nitrogen maintaining the pressure on the clamp. In a hydraulically clamped cold saw like the Noble & Lund you've a vice jaw and a hyd clamp doing the holding

We bought 3 blades (only because the segments in the first one didn't fit the second Paul.

That's annoying!!!:mad:

Leaky made a sharpening jig that consisted of a 6" bench grinder with a cutting disc in and a simple pillar drill stand and gave the blades a rub up at night;)

as for the 'drop box' it is a fenner 20-1 shaft reduction unit from a spreader beam (the type found on a container carrying machine that can spread from 20' to 40' containers)

Paul.

Like I said - "canny pair of bu**ers in the creativity stakes".
You two got your own scrap yard or summut then, for sourcing all these bits and pieces?????:eek:

Local Diggers
03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
you boys would have won any heat of scrapheap challenge easily!

V8Druid
03-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Not sure what the motor was on....we have a few knocking round of different things;)........ as for the cutting the job was cutting low sided tanks which had ebonite lining on the sides so couldn't use burning gear but could on the base so only had to cut down the side and through the base plate until we was far enough away from the side so the ebonite didn't start to give of heavy vapours

so had to cut a 12" channel
a rubber gasket
3/4" steel plate
3/8" copper plate
and the top webb of the support channel

Paul.

I take it these tanks were some sort of electrolytic processing baths were they? Ebonite's a rare thing to use in ANYTHING and 3/8" copper plate too!!
Gotta be something electrolytic??

Wanna buy some more blades Mog, for spares??
Bet the ones you bought, presumably new, WERE NOT CHEAP!!:eek:

Keep up the good work chaps.
Your creativity knows no bounds!!!!:D:cool:

ON EDIT

Forgot to ask Mog, how'd you move the post from one thread to another?????????

V8Druid
08-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Paul.

This your Welsh cousin Mog??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excavator-Saw-Attachment-/281163742333?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Constructi on_Tools_ET&hash=item4176aa3c7d

mogman
08-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I take it these tanks were some sort of electrolytic processing baths were they? Ebonite's a rare thing to use in ANYTHING and 3/8" copper plate too!!
Gotta be something electrolytic??

Wanna buy some more blades Mog, for spares??
Bet the ones you bought, presumably new, WERE NOT CHEAP!!

Keep up the good work chaps.
Your creativity knows no bounds!!!!:D

ON EDIT

Forgot to ask Mog, how'd you move the post from one thread to another?????????

yes the 'tanks' was to put electric through strong brine solution to make chlorine & hydrogen gas along with caustic soda and a few other things along the way as for the blades we've finished that job now so no further use for the blades (500 each:eek:)

as for moving posts I just open 2 windows with the forum on, and then copy and paste bit like posting up a you tube link up;)

and as for the machine mounted saw we've got one in kit form was going to make one to cut solidified soda ash with a 5' blade (home made of course) c/w tungsten picks of a road planner;)

Paul.

V8Druid
08-09-2013, 08:16 PM
........... machine mounted saw we've got one in kit form was going to make one to cut solidified soda ash with a 5' blade (home made of course) c/w tungsten picks of a road planner;)

Paul.

Can't seem to see the piccies Mog?????:D:D