PDA

View Full Version : Dipper mirror

grahams
28-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Saw this on another site. It appears their dipper cameras have broken so they have replaced them with a convex mirror. Whilst not as clear as a screen in the cab, a lot cheaper and because of the extra wide angle it has the added advantage of giving a view down either side of the machine.
What do you think?
Graham

Traxcavator.
28-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Seems a good idea. Looks like it's set for the operator to apply his mascara or lipstick. Needs to be looking at the bucket surely ? or are they used just for looking into holes ...?
Camera is a damn good idea. First i saw was on Ollies PW.

grahams
28-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Trax, they are supposed to be looking down at the bucket when viewed from the operators seat, so you can see in holes, over the sides of wagons etc.
Graham

d4c24a
28-12-2013, 09:04 PM
nice ,but as soon as i fold the breaker up ,its gone :D:(

Traxcavator.
28-12-2013, 11:05 PM
nice ,but as soon as i fold the breaker up ,its gone :D:(

Camera under the boom then Graham .... although, i think that maybe you don't really need one .... you've had a little bit of work experiance I thinks.

vinpetrol
29-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Camera under the boom then Graham .... although, i think that maybe you don't really need one .... you've had a little bit of work experiance I thinkk.
I love the syinical eyebrow raising you bring to the forum Trax
I can't help but burst into a wry smile with some of your posts .

I think I must be getting longer in the tooth !

Vin

Traxcavator.
29-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Trax, they are supposed to be looking down at the bucket when viewed from the operators seat, so you can see in holes, over the sides of wagons etc.
Graham

Hi Graham, i do understand the concept, it just didn't appear to be directed down to the bucket area. Should the need arise i would fit one or more than likely a cctv system.

Traxcavator.
29-12-2013, 07:45 AM
I love the syinical eyebrow raising you bring to the forum Trax
I can't help but burst into a wry smile with some of your posts .

I think I must be getting longer in the tooth !

Vin
Thank you .... :) I have to say I was not in any way making lite of Grahams post, the wink was the fact he knows I think he's a top class operator.:cool:

As for long in the tooth i only have one or two years on y'self .... so what does that make me ..... :D

d4c24a
29-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Thank you .... :) I have to say I was not in any way making lite of Grahams post, the wink was the fact he knows I think he's a top class operator.:cool:

As for long in the tooth i only have one or two years on y'self .... so what does that make me ..... :D

steady on now i would not go that far :o

grahams
29-12-2013, 10:41 AM
We often load ro-ro bins and they are too high sided to see what is going on. A good operator will make a fairly even load no problem, but I like to check what I'm doing, which means getting out of the cab and climbing the side if the bin, which all takes time. This seemed like it may be a cheap solution, without going to the expense and hassle of a boom camera.
Graham

grahams
29-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Looking again at the first picture you can obviously see the cab, but at the bottom of the mirror you can see what looks like the foot of the dipper. I guess the bucket is crowned back.
Complete novice question - instead of welding on a bracket, could I drill and tap the dipper, or would that weaken it more than welding? (I can use a drill, but my welding has been compared to Seagull shit and has about as much holding power!)
Graham

Traxcavator.
29-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Nothing wrong with drilling and tapping a couple of holes. The inner face is usually thinner plate than the outer but you should be able to gain enough threads to hold a mirror.

grahams
29-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Nothing wrong with drilling and tapping a couple of holes. The inner face is usually thinner plate than the outer but you should be able to gain enough threads to hold a mirror.

Thanks Trax,
If I can find the right mirror I may give it a go.
Graham

AtlasRob
29-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Looks a brilliant idea.

Ideal in the situation you describe. Many a time that extra angle and view into the back of an 8 legger to double check things are just as they should be would be nice never mind the aid with a 40yd bin :cool:

Very good question on the drill & tapping the dipper Vin, its probably the way I would go even with a camera as I'm RAF trained and it would probably drop off else. ( RAF, Rough As F*** ;) )

AtlasRob
29-12-2013, 12:57 PM
If I can find the right mirror I may give it a go.

I would suggest Spillards http://www.spillard.com/ as your first port of call.
had several bits and pieces of them over the years and find them very helpful.

Traxcavator.
29-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Very good question on the drill & tapping the dipper Vin, its probably the way I would go even with a camera as I'm RAF trained and it would probably drop off else. ( RAF, Rough As F*** ;) )

Now I know better than that Roberto .... :)

Traxcavator.
29-12-2013, 05:44 PM
steady on now i would not go that far :o

Hi Graham ... not many jobs require quality operating such as uncovering HV lines whilst in you line of work, not to mention minimum excavation, tidy trenches and first time quality reinstatement. A picture paints a thousand words, as the saying goes ... I'm quite sure you're more than just the company photographer .... :D

V8Druid
29-12-2013, 10:15 PM
......Complete novice question - instead of welding on a bracket, could I drill and tap the dipper, or would that weaken it more than welding? (I can use a drill, but my welding has been compared to Seagull shit and has about as much holding power !)
Graham

LOL Graham - made me smile :D:D
Might start a Druid's summer camp, for stickin' things together. :D

V8Druid
29-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Looks a brilliant idea.

Ideal in the situation you describe. Many a time that extra angle and view into the back of an 8 legger to double check things are just as they should be would be nice never mind the aid with a 40yd bin :cool:

Now't wrong with the welding I've seen, in some of your posts Rob!! ;):cool:

strott
29-12-2013, 11:33 PM

I'll be there if you do :)

Traxcavator.
30-12-2013, 07:05 AM

.... with jam, cream and icing sugar .... ? :confused:

AtlasRob
30-12-2013, 09:08 AM
.... with jam, cream and icing sugar .... ?

Count me in, I'll have some of that please :D

V8Druid
30-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Count me in, I'll have some of that please

.... with jam, cream and icing sugar .... ?

Sticky bun production is t'other half's domain guys !
She's celiac so everything gets cooked 'gluten free'. Pam's a master of it though and there ain't much she can't make GF, that's not usually better than 'normal', including an awesome Yorkshire pud.

One concession I insist upon though, is my own bread, fresh baked a couple of times a week.
GF bread's like cardboard :( and it's worth my effort in doing it, for some decent toast in the a.m. and to go with some of her home made soups and cassoulets!! :D

Now if that hasn't wound up yer taste buds Tim, you must've stopped breathing at "Yorkshire Pud" !!:p

And then there's her's cakes; Mmmmmmmmmm!! Yummy!!:cool:

PS
What's that slavvering noise I can hear???????

AtlasRob
30-12-2013, 03:18 PM
..What's that slavvering noise I can hear???????

I would be more concerned by the thump thump thump of his boots coming down the M4 :D

Traxcavator.
30-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I would be more concerned by the thump thump thump of his boots coming down the M4 :D

Firmly planted in Norfolk at present. Had some real good local nosh.
Mussels here are second to none. Had a roast cooked by the wench last night .... beef and as usual over night seasoned yorkshire mix makes the perfect accompaniment to the meal ... :D
Used have home made bread until some one thew out the dough hook .... by accident i am assured .... the french bread mix was deemed to be the better.

V8Druid
30-12-2013, 06:05 PM

LMBAO Rob - very good :D:D

V8Druid
30-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Firmly planted in Norfolk at present. Had some real good local nosh.
Mussels here are second to none. Had a roast cooked by the wench last night .... beef and as usual over night seasoned yorkshire mix makes the perfect accompaniment to the meal ... :D
Used have home made bread until some one thew out the dough hook .... by accident i am assured .... the french bread mix was deemed to be the better.

Not heard of the seasoned mix idea before Tim. What difference does it make (bearing in mind that ours is GF mind you, but awesome just the same)?:confused:

As for the dough hook - Kenwood do do replacements yer know!!:p

Baguette sized toast slices are a PITA to get back out the toaster :eek:

d4c24a
01-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Looking again at the first picture you can obviously see the cab, but at the bottom of the mirror you can see what looks like the foot of the dipper. I guess the bucket is crowned back.
Complete novice question - instead of welding on a bracket, could I drill and tap the dipper, or would that weaken it more than welding? (I can use a drill, but my welding has been compared to Seagull shit and has about as much holding power!)
Graham

mount one on the magnetic base of a flashing light perhaps ,put it anywhere you like then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Strong-magnet-with-Mounting-Hole-100x22mm-Ferrite-/230764304390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ba9fd806

Traxcavator.
01-01-2014, 09:35 AM
mount one on the magnetic base of a flashing light perhaps ,put it anywhere you like then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Strong-magnet-with-Mounting-Hole-100x22mm-Ferrite-/230764304390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ba9fd806

In the cab first thing, to help not smudging the mascara or driving off course with the eye liner ...:D ....
...... all joking aside, that's a good idea Graham. We used a welding magnetic earth device once, for a camera mount. Very strong magnet.

V8Druid
01-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Tha's one hell of a nice looking magnet Gra and not dear either. Quite a few good uses for those!:cool:
Cheers Gra - Happy New Year boyo.
Been out with Jakie yet today??:eek:

grahams
01-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Really good idea. Can get it placed just right, rather than committing to a permanent attachment and find you have put it in the wrong place.
As Trax says I can use it to do my hair - need more than a bit of makeup to beautify me.
Graham

AtlasRob
01-01-2014, 06:01 PM
mount one on the magnetic base of a flashing light perhaps ,put it anywhere you like then .............Super-Strong-magnet-with-Mounting-Hole-

That looks remarkably like the result you get when you dismantle a decent size speaker.

komatsu
01-01-2014, 06:09 PM

that's what I have my camera attached to,move it where I want it and also can just unplug the camera and put a dummy lead in to keep everything dry and the camera in cab when not using it,mainly if got breaker on,dont want any bits of concrete breaking the camera screen

Traxcavator.
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
that's what I have my camera attached to,move it where I want it and also can just unplug the camera and put a dummy lead in to keep everything dry and the camera in cab when not using it,mainly if got breaker on,dont want any bits of concrete breaking the camera screen

You could also use it for hair styling OLL ....... :D

V8Druid
01-01-2014, 07:18 PM
That looks remarkably like the result you get when you dismantle a decent size speaker.

That was my first thought Rob. Same sort of ferrite magnet, but a speaker has a metal core, rather than the metal cup over this one.
They look awesomely good magnets and if as powerful as a speaker magnet , will have some sort of holding power - Ad says 69?kg IIRC:eek:
Can't believe the price of 'em. Looks like a real old fashioned VFM bargain!!:D

komatsu
02-01-2014, 12:37 AM

and that'll be why your not allowed in Currys any more!!:D:D

V8Druid
04-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Really good idea. Can get it placed just right, rather than committing to a permanent attachment and find you have put it in the wrong place.
As Trax says I can use it to do my hair - need more than a bit of makeup to beautify me.
Graham

Any use for yer dipper Gra, or too big?
See they do others apparently!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONVEX-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-EXCAVATOR-TELEHANDLERS-MACHINE-DIGGER-/121247332614?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Constructi on_Tools_ET&hash=item1c3ae77906

grahams
04-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Any use for yer dipper Gra, or too big?
See they do others apparently!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONVEX-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-EXCAVATOR-TELEHANDLERS-MACHINE-DIGGER-/121247332614?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Constructi on_Tools_ET&hash=item1c3ae77906

Yes, it's that one or this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310831509725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
But as the round one comes with the right fitting to go straight through the magnet I'll probably go with that.
Been working away for a few days, but will probably make a decision over the weekend and order the bits.
Graham

grahams
20-01-2014, 05:40 PM
All the bits arrived. Tried it today. Excellent vision down boom to bucket and as a bonus vision down sides of excavator which is great for safety and my paintwork. Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the ring magnet. That works really well and means I can use it on different machines.
Picture below showing view from operators seat.
Graham

grahams
20-01-2014, 05:55 PM
I'll try again. Don't know what happened, but hopefully photo there this time.
Graham