PDA

View Full Version : CATERPILLAR or KOMATSU ?

Eddy Hitler
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Whats your opinion on these makes of machines,which make has the best build quality,reliability and cost effectiveness.
As Harry Hill would say " Caterpillar or Komatsu,which is the best ? FIGHT"
Ed
Happy new year :)

ianoz.
01-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Eddie ,well we have both brands and both seem to be able to sit in the shed in a million pieces EQUALLY as well :D ian .

Cat943
01-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Well the best way to answer that question, I find, is with another question:

How many Komatsu machines from the 70's,80's and 90's do you see around that are still doing a decents days work?

Guest1
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
You have to say caterpillar allthough some aspects of cat realy get my goat:mad:;)

Eddy Hitler
01-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I would have thought Caterpillar as well,but noticed machines of other makes on building sites are increasing eg Hitachi.
Been told that Cat quality is not as good as it used to be.
Ed

Guest1
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeh Ed the real cat gear like when i worked for v h e construction.d9h,d8h,977l,
there is allways better quallity in older things no matter what it is.

Eddy Hitler
01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes, I think you are right there mate.
Ed

John Gaunt
01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi Eddie,
As has already been said, even caterpillar quality may not be as good as it was in the past. I have three diesel cats dating from 1940 / 1941, all in good working order, all with original engines. Not many other makes (except Rolls Royce !) have as many old machines still in working order as that.

As can be seen from this thread here....
http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51
spare parts availability is absolutely key to support any equipment. For sure that is where cat scores, and has always done. When in '2000, I visited the Cat foundry near Peoria, one of our party asked if the Cat policy of "no parts orphans" (i.e. parts would always be available for their machines) was true.
Our guide was, after consulting the production log, able to tell us that a few weeks ago they had cast a new final drive casing for a 1936 D6. He did admit however that it was not like the original - metallurgy had improved so much that the new final drive casing would outlast the rest of the machine. Oh, he didn't say how much it had cost either !!
I do not believe that the "No parts orphans" policy is still in place.

the very hungry caterpillar
01-01-2010, 10:39 PM
It is an interesting question. The Japanese, followed by the Koreans no doubt, soon to be followed by the Chinese have caught up with and, in some cases, overtaken the previously established Western manufacturers in terms of the quality and performance of their machines when new.

This causes the likes of Cat a problem but not an insummountable one.

They want to retain a price premium - they are not going to go head to head on price with eg Hyundai so what allows them to charge a premium?

1. The name and reputation carries some weight, but this has to be backed up with something tangible.
2. The build quality and performance has to be top notch, although one could argue that Cat do not make the best product in every machine type they build.
3. Durability - Cat owners expect thier machines to go on forever.
3. The overriding justification for the Cat premium has to come from the support. This is support of the whole life cycle of the machine form the time that the salesman first discusses the prospect, to the time the machine is disposed of. A big element of this is the service and allied to that, availability of spare parts. Cat have to get this right and not cut corners. Their hard earned reputation is built on a durable product with industry leading support. The risk of a prime mover being out of action for any length of time is a big motivation to take the 'safe' if initially, more expensive option.

Nobody ever got sacked for buying a Caterpillar....

Traxcavator.
01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I dare say we all know stories of good and bad with both brands, I for one have no preferance. One thing i will say is Cat are second to none with parts availability.
Regards Trax.

ianoz.
02-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Hi Traxcavator ,Welome to the forum .Its good to see more new members on the forum and active.:) .ian.

Traxcavator.
02-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks Ian, lets hope this forum doesn't attract spys from other boards who are intent on taking over the internet. *** for one, the owner's called classic on acmoc, never posts just surfs most mornings, you try and view his profile when he's not logged on.
Trax.

Cat943
02-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Spies eh? This is beginning to sound more like James Bond now!

I'm running a Komatsu WA500 at the moment which ain't too bad all things considered. Always find the Komatsu machines are a little too sharp on the controls. I've always tried to make do with whatever machine I get, old or newish (never had brand new), rough or clean, however they come. Saying that though give me a CAT track shovel any day.

Traxcavator.
02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
943, Believe me as the story unfolds you will wonder how they can be allowed to run a forum. There is a good chance that this board could be good fun. Maybe self moderating but with the Grand master himself having the ultimate say. The fact that he has a sense of humour is a good start anyway.
Trax.

Eddy Hitler
02-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Caterpillar usually are very good on spares availability but can be expensive.
Funny thing though,when I have ordered spares,the one you thought would be expensive are cheap and the ones you thought would be cheap were expensive.Anyone else find that ?
Ed

bob
02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Caterpillar usually are very good on spares availability but can be expensive.
Funny thing though,when I have ordered spares,the one you thought would be expensive are cheap and the ones you thought would be cheap were expensive.Anyone else find that ?
Ed

are you a traffic warden for finnings or blackwell with your knowage of plant your wasting your time booking cars:confused:

ianoz.
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
BOB ,the more i see you ,the more i like you .ian.