PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting

oldchips
23-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Sure I have seen a thread about this, somewhere!

LED lighting on machines is the in thing, so much more power efficient than halogen, if not as warm.

Found these which look really useful to me. Holders for the small 50mm diameter lamps, either halogen or LED

http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/par16-lv-cr/lantern-par-16-12v-alloy/dp/DP3004832?ost=dp3004832&selectedCategoryId=&categoryName=All+Categories&categoryNameResp=All+Categories

Taken ages to find a useful holder for these lamps, here it is. These are on special offer 15th January at that price. I have an account with CPC but they will take cards and free postage if you order more than 5 I think.

The lamps are on offer as well, LP0790905 at 1.69 each.

There are lots of 20W+ floodlights around but these, at 5W each, if scattered around the machine will equal them with not so much of a hit if one gets damaged.

These LED lamps run off 12V AC or DC so will need a 24V to 12V inverter to run off a large machine. DO NOT connect in series to 24V! These LED lamps are not like incandescent lamps.

I have bought about 30 lamp holders, machines and in the workshop and garage, really impressive amount of light from them.

Guest1
23-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Sure I have seen a thread about this, somewhere!

LED lighting on machines is the in thing, so much more power efficient than halogen, if not as warm.

Found these which look really useful to me. Holders for the small 50mm diameter lamps, either halogen or LED

http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/par16-lv-cr/lantern-par-16-12v-alloy/dp/DP3004832?ost=dp3004832&selectedCategoryId=&categoryName=All+Categories&categoryNameResp=All+Categories

Taken ages to find a useful holder for these lamps, here it is. These are on special offer 15th January at that price. I have an account with CPC but they will take cards and free postage if you order more than 5 I think.

The lamps are on offer as well, LP0790905 at 1.69 each.

There are lots of 20W+ floodlights around but these, at 5W each, if scattered around the machine will equal them with not so much of a hit if one gets damaged.

These LED lamps run off 12V AC or DC so will need a 24V to 12V inverter to run off a large machine. DO NOT connect in series to 24V! These LED lamps are not like incandescent lamps.

I have bought about 30 lamp holders, machines and in the workshop and garage, really impressive amount of light from them.
I really hate LED on vehicles,its not eye friendly at all.....don't mind on torches but certainly not cars or machinery.There is evidence that they are very damaging to the human eye.

doobin
23-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Bad idea if you ask me. Not trying to piss on your chips (geddit? :D) but the rain will quickly find it's way to the terminals on the bulb, the bulb will not be disigned to throw the light very far, and above your machine will look like a Boots window display!:D

Better off with the cheap chinese purpose built and fully sealed LED worklights. Most of the installation cost is in your time to do the wiring. You will quickly get annoyed with the unprotected bulbs shorting out.

They look to have potential for workshop lighting though, especially at that price :cool:

Local Diggers
23-12-2015, 05:56 PM
didnt you delve deep in to this subject last year doob? what was the outcome in the end? to be fair to chips thats a bloody cheap way of doing things, be interested to see how the weather

OllieGunns
23-12-2015, 09:07 PM
There's loads of cheap LED lights on eBay that come with a bracket perfect for replacing existing and adding to machines. They work but like all things cheap they arnt great. Good light output but a few I've had either randomly died or one got water in then died...

So I purchased some middle of the range jobbies and they seem to be doing it for me. Look pretty sick too with the cooling fins integrated into the metal body. I've asked for more for Christmas to fit to everything I can think of as they are really handy to have and a doddle to fit. Everyone needs LED's on their wacker plate right?

If they break then I'm going back to cheap as the really expensive ones are REALLY expensive!!!

Arguably I should just go home when its dark but you know how it is....

Local Diggers
23-12-2015, 10:44 PM
got a link ollie?

doobin
24-12-2015, 09:12 AM
http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98865&postcount=34

Prices are half what we were paying in 2014 now, so cheap and cheerful really is cheap and cheerful.

delbouy
24-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Sorry am I missing the point here somewhere,
Can you not just change the bulbs in the existing light units for the equivalent LED, or I have found that COB LEDs are a hell of a lot brighter.

I have re manufactured all the lights on the 3c to fit LEDs instead of the old 2" round bulbs?.

doobin
24-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Sorry am I missing the point here somewhere,
Can you not just change the bulbs in the existing light units for the equivalent LED, or I have found that COB LEDs are a hell of a lot brighter.

I have re manufactured all the lights on the 3c to fit LEDs instead of the old 2" round bulbs?.

No. LED bulbs exist but are not much cop when compared to proper LED worklights, the body of which also act as heatsinks for the LEDS contained within.

oldchips
27-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Having used halogen fllodlights in the past I find that there is too sharp a boundary between light and gloom. The intention with the small lights is to blur the boundary so jumping out the cab into pitch dark doesn't immediately result in falling flat on your face.

Might be that my woodlands work isn't the same as your digging work, possibly closer in so the lighting problem doesn't exist.

Lamps easy enough to waterproof, gorilla tape or similar over the back and a good coating of silicone grease on the lamp and connector. Being so mucg cooler than halogen makes waterproofing easier. Who cares if it looks like a boots display stand?

doobin
27-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Having used halogen fllodlights in the past I find that there is too sharp a boundary between light and gloom. The intention with the small lights is to blur the boundary so jumping out the cab into pitch dark doesn't immediately result in falling flat on your face.

Might be that my woodlands work isn't the same as your digging work, possibly closer in so the lighting problem doesn't exist.

Lamps easy enough to waterproof, gorilla tape or similar over the back and a good coating of silicone grease on the lamp and connector. Being so mucg cooler than halogen makes waterproofing easier. Who cares if it looks like a boots display stand?

I do tons of woodlands work. You're right in that multiple small lights give better distribution than two massive ones, the way forward is still multiple purpose built worklights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-12W-LED-Work-Lights-Offroad-Bar-Spotlight-10-30V-Beam-Lamp-SUV-Cool-White-/191689207677?hash=item2ca1912f7d:g:GG8AAOSwLqFV8QG o

Come on mate, that is even cheaper than your scheme. Proven technology.

V8Druid
27-12-2015, 04:44 PM
I do tons of woodlands work. You're right in that multiple small lights give better distribution than two massive ones, the way forward is still multiple purpose built worklights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-12W-LED-Work-Lights-Offroad-Bar-Spotlight-10-30V-Beam-Lamp-SUV-Cool-White-/191689207677?hash=item2ca1912f7d:g:GG8AAOSwLqFV8QG o

Come on mate, that is even cheaper than your scheme. Proven technology.

that is bloody cheap Doob :eek:

APH2007
27-12-2015, 07:36 PM
:Dthat is bloody cheap Doob :eek:

That is what you call cheap as peanuts Gra, but I wonder how long they'll last, buying cheap not always lasts :rolleyes: they'll look good on the Drema though :D

Casedriver
27-12-2015, 08:20 PM
They may be cheap but Rudolph's nose was brighter :D

Traxcavator.
27-12-2015, 09:37 PM

..... and I believe he's available for a few months now too ..... ;)

V8Druid
28-12-2015, 12:01 AM
:D

That is what you call cheap as peanuts Gra, but I wonder how long they'll last, buying cheap not always lasts :rolleyes: they'll look good on the Drema though :D

not as bright as the eight 48 watt-ers I put on her though Pete!
At 2.50 a lamp they'd make useful infill around a machine though and are as disposable as a bulb at that price :rolleyes:

V8Druid
28-12-2015, 12:03 AM

LOL

..... and I believe he's available for a few months now too ..... ;)

You're probably right there Tim - a fair few months :D