The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#631   IP: 86.169.71.143
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Hitachi ZX85US-5a Engcon EC209

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Well if it wasn't before it is now!!!!!

Could not get away with that here Boyo.
Had a big 3 chamber interceptor in the yard to catch all the wash off.
Worked well too!!

It may be a big soak-away job at home though and it ain't gonna be overworked!!:
Druid, was the interceptor pit designed to clean and discharge the water? If so how's it work? If not, I guess you have to pay to get it emptied and disposed of: is it costly?

I would think that before long, this will be forced on the farming community. More expense
  #632   IP: 81.158.17.202
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Druid, was the interceptor pit designed to clean and discharge the water? If so how's it work? If not, I guess you have to pay to get it emptied and disposed of: is it costly?

I would think that before long, this will be forced on the farming community. More expense
I was lucky that my yard was an old bus station repair facility - 10,000 sq ft w/shop, 3 commercial pits, 30 odd feet long and a wash area outside,
which had a fibre glass 3 chamber interceptor system installed with syphon outlet to an underground water course which eventually went to a nearby river, so it had to work!!

The first link below'll give you an idea, but mine had a third tier of settlement before discharging and 3 manholes so's you could access each chamber to clean 'em out,
like the second link's drawing.

Only ever had it cleaned once, but then I didn't produce the levels of effluent that you'd be likely to, I'd have thought!

http://www.uksuds.com/information/Oil_Interceptors.pdf

http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techp...07)%20v1.1.pdf

this one's an EA BS requirement link-

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...06biyl-e-e.pdf

I suppose you could build one and tank it out, as it's not rocket science, the main thing is the syphons and getting 'em deep enough to function properly.
Would've thought that by the time you go to the expense of building a chamber(s) it would be comparable with acquiring a prefab unit.

I'll ask the developers who bought my site if they'd like to try to get mine out 'carefully' for a sell on!! can't imagine it's concrete encased - probably just buried in stone/infill.
They'll have to have it emptied before they can remove it anyway!
  #633   IP: 86.169.71.143
Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I was lucky that my yard was an old bus station repair facility - 10,000 sq ft w/shop, 3 commercial pits, 30 odd feet long and a wash area outside,
which had a fibre glass 3 chamber interceptor system installed with syphon outlet to an underground water course which eventually went to a nearby river, so it had to work!!

The first link below'll give you an idea, but mine had a third tier of settlement before discharging and 3 manholes so's you could access each chamber to clean 'em out,
like the second link's drawing.

Only ever had it cleaned once, but then I didn't produce the levels of effluent that you'd be likely to, I'd have thought!

http://www.uksuds.com/information/Oil_Interceptors.pdf

http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techp...07)%20v1.1.pdf

this one's an EA BS requirement link-

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...06biyl-e-e.pdf

I suppose you could build one and tank it out, as it's not rocket science, the main thing is the syphons and getting 'em deep enough to function properly.
Would've thought that by the time you go to the expense of building a chamber(s) it would be comparable with acquiring a prefab unit.

I'll ask the developers who bought my site if they'd like to try to get mine out 'carefully' for a sell on!! can't imagine it's concrete encased - probably just buried in stone/infill.
They'll have to have it emptied before they can remove it anyway!
Thanks for that: same basic principle as the septic tank it seems. I quite fancy the idea of reed bed treatment, so might incorporate that, if and when the time comes. Agricultural washings will contain herbicide and pesticide residue, as well as oil, so will require a bit more treatment I would think.
  #634   IP: 86.138.82.163
Old 06-08-2014, 01:27 PM

Anyone tried this cleaner as there are question marks over other products on here:

Supposed to be more enviro friendly?? Still got the problem with handling the broken down grease and oil though once washed off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITRUS-SAF...rkparms=aid%3D

I know a lot of mountain bikers use this stuff and diluted to 50 litres you may get good value!

John
  #635   IP: 5.81.139.218
Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotplant View Post
Anyone tried this cleaner as there are question marks over other products on here:

Supposed to be more enviro friendly?? Still got the problem with handling the broken down grease and oil though once washed off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITRUS-SAF...rkparms=aid%3D

I know a lot of mountain bikers use this stuff and diluted to 50 litres you may get good value!

John
If this is what I think it is John and looks like it is, it's been around a while and tried it a long time ago.
Still contains solvents and citric acids; just smells better !!

Can't remember whether it was any good/different in compraison to the TFR we used to use at the time.

As you say, no matter how you degrade the oils/greases/contaminants, they still have to be dealt with, once transferred from m/c to floor/drain/etc..

The interceptors are still acknowledged as the easiest method for separation of fluids/solids from water, but do not deal with any solvents, not attached to oil particles!!

Can't imagine Lefty's reed beds being too keen on TFRs/solvents getting in to 'em, but STBC ?
  #636   IP: 5.81.139.218
Old 06-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotplant View Post
..........This is the address I'll be staying at, will be down there on the 10th and will give you a bell to arrange a meet:

Swanmeadow Holiday Cottages
Pantygoitre Farm
Llanfair Kilgedin

Nice to hear you rate the trailer, coming from your back ground that's a big confidence booster...thanks............John
Hi John,
Keep forgetting to respond on this bit.
I know exactly where it is and has recently been converted from some old barns.
Looks like they've done a nice job too.

NOTE the name Swanmeadow, so must be good - my old w/shop was at Swanmeadow - plenty of good things came out of there!!

Pretty well located for getting 'out an' about', depending on what you're looking to do of course.
Used to live a couple of miles from there in the early '80s!!
  #637   IP: 86.112.66.108
Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Can't imagine Lefty's reed beds being too keen on TFRs/solvents getting in to 'em, but STBC ?
I know the grass field of ours didn't like it when it blocked up from leaves took a while to recover
  #638   IP: 81.135.131.18
Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Been meaning to ask JR, did the family and yer good self enjoy the stay down at the Swanmeadow cottages a while ago? 'Twas nice to meet and put a face to the voice.
Take it you's rather busy ATM?
  #639   IP: 86.138.81.132
Old 08-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Been meaning to ask JR, did the family and yer good self enjoy the stay down at the Swanmeadow cottages a while ago? 'Twas nice to meet and put a face to the voice.
Take it you's rather busy ATM?
Hi Graham,

Was a nice short break and we all enjoyed our stay thanks for asking. Great to meet up too!

Still busy which is good. Not had anything new to add to my thread of late as I've kinda covered most aspects. Though I am waiting on a log splitter to demo soon from Tom Lomax and I'll be happy to post my review and thoughts when it's put through it's paces.

Tree shear has been called into action and I could be busy with it for a while if every thing pans out the way I'm expecting it to. Also got some chipping to do tomorrow 5 to till dark I think. Now that would be a interesting post if I could get a vid of the 7810 on song with the Mus-max wood terminator working full chat!

The hedge cutting season has also kicked off and I've been lucky to get a young lad on the job for me and he's taken to it like a duck to water. Good saftey awareness, not maintenance shy and has a keen eye for finishing tidy.
This lad is a farmers son and had lots of early experience on tractors and machines, best lads to get on board there streets ahead of most young operators if you can get a good one.

John

Last edited by Robotplant; 08-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.
  #640   IP: 81.131.235.192
Old 26-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Following my visit to the APF I came across these Track grip add on's. Look to be a handy means of getting additional grip on wet hilly land. For my 800mm pads there 87 each and eight a side would be the minimum amount needed.

Anyone had any direct experience with them fitted? Should make a lot of difference in tricky areas and even in ice and frost when the winter sets in. At
1400 a set I'd need to know there worth the money before buying a set.

http://www.trackgrip.co.uk/

http://youtu.be/1uZwHBQjEhY

John