The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Vintage & Classic Equipment

#1   IP: 90.196.146.14
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Nostalgic 1965? Massey Ferguson

Got shown these during a visit to an old friend and managed to borrow them to copy and post.

This is the first machine I ever sat on and later got to drive.
Yes the actual machine Terry, the operator in the pictures was the guy who allowed me to sit on the machine with him and later trusted me as a very young lad to move it forward while he was pulling a long trench and later to learn to operate it.

These were about 1965 when he, operating for his brothers company Spiller Plant Hire Ltd were building the new church at Box Hill in Surrey.
Terry clearly remembers digging the drain out into the road for the sewer connection, front bucket up in the air while traffic mounted the pavement at the drop kerbs and passed by without a cross word going about their normal day

The machine was a Massey Ferguson 2203 or (5, not 100% sure) tractor with torque converter drive. Added to that was the front end loader we think a 207 and on the back was a 220 digger.

Picture 035.jpg Picture 037.jpg Picture 038.jpg

Erecting the main timber frame of the new church.

Picture 036.jpg

A L Wells ready mix truck from Leatherhead.

Picture.jpg

In the village was a lad a few years older than me called Ian Hopkins who had a talent for drawing, these are a couple of his efforts.

Picture 039.jpg Picture 040.jpg

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #2   IP: 90.196.146.14
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Re: Nostalgic 1965? Massey Ferguson

This is the same machine digging out for a house extension at the rear of the house's garage. Only way in! through the garage door of course couldnt do that with a JCB 3C.
Mucking out with the front bucket into skips dropped in the street. Then put the backacter on and loosen some more chalk.

Picture 048.jpg Picture 050.jpg Picture 051.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #3   IP: 109.152.68.253
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Intimate Secretary

Smile Re: Nostalgic 1965? Massey Ferguson

Really great photos Rob, there were a lot of those small MF machines around down here sold new through Kellands. You're right, they were a nice compact outfit compaired to a 3C which could easily get in it's own way in tight spaces.
The truck mixer's a Dodge, the Fordson Major donkey engine's a lovely period touch.
All the best mate, Tony.
  #4   IP: 82.36.179.1
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Grand Master Architect

Rob of your many talents i didnt realise you could play the piano Daz
  #5   IP: 31.104.139.207
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmayor View Post
... i didnt realise you could play the piano
It was quite a concern when the chance to go a JCB arose as up until then I had always had something to hold on to ( other lever in your hand) when endeavouring to do something requireing fine movement. It just did not seem possible that it would be do able but of course it was and is.
So much so now that folk find it hard to understand how we managed with piano levers