The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 86.41.104.4
Old 24-08-2018, 08:56 PM

Default JS200 dies suddenly

My 2001 JS200 will suddenly lose electrical power. This causes the throttle to go to idle. The lights are still on the dash but I can't throttle up. If I turn the machine off and try to switch it back on it's got no power at all on the dash, no lights or anything. After a few minutes the power will suddenly come back and I can work away again for a few minutes, then it will happen again and again.

This happened a few days ago after 1/2 days work and again today after about 2 hours hard work. Has anyone any ideas as to what this could be? Also if anyone has a workshop manual for this machine it would be a big help!
  #2   IP: 178.104.17.90
Old 25-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Knight of the East

Default Re: JS200 dies suddenly

If you ask on here, you might be able to get some help https://www.planttalk.co.uk/
  #3   IP: 176.25.24.48
Old 25-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Intendant of the Building

Inside the door where the batteries are there is a large solenoid that looks similar to the one in this link. It it could be dropping out / over heating whilst the machine is running but the power from the alternator is keeping the machine / dash lights on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Rel...-/162833157820.

You can link the two battery cables onto one single bolt and see if it solves the issue. Just remember to disconnect them at the end of the shift to prevent a flat battery.
  #4   IP: 109.146.190.205
Old 25-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggy View Post
My 2001 JS200 will suddenly lose electrical power. This causes the throttle to go to idle. The lights are still on the dash but I can't throttle up. If I turn the machine off and try to switch it back on it's got no power at all on the dash, no lights or anything. After a few minutes the power will suddenly come back and I can work away again for a few minutes, then it will happen again and again.

This happened a few days ago after 1/2 days work and again today after about 2 hours hard work. Has anyone any ideas as to what this could be? Also if anyone has a workshop manual for this machine it would be a big help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger man View Post
Inside the door where the batteries are there is a large solenoid that looks similar to the one in this link. It it could be dropping out / over heating whilst the machine is running but the power from the alternator is keeping the machine / dash lights on.

You can link the two battery cables onto one single bolt and see if it solves the issue. Just remember to disconnect them at the end of the shift to prevent a flat battery.
was gonna suggest a poor earth contact heating up and breaking down ... as said, alternator will keep her running, until you shut her off.
Heated contact then cools and makes circuit again ... 'til it warms up again.

The isolaters are usually in the earth side anyway .. so could very well be a candidate ... or earth from there to chassis ... or engine block to chassis. Engine earth'd most likely not allow alternator to keep her running though

find all your earths and clean them, for starters
  #5   IP: 94.5.254.254
Old 25-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Sublime Master Elected

under the computer under right arm where the throttle is all the earths coming out of the ecu are on one bolt going through the floor on the slightly older machines probably the same on yours if its an earth problem wouldnt harm to clean them up also multi plug to seperate the harnes when lifting the cab off is under there you can get at it by taking belly plate off
  #6   IP: 86.43.172.18
Old 26-08-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger man View Post

I was thinking of that myself, it's the battery relay. I had one of these go on a loading shovel I have. I might just go and replace this altogether rather than doing much else as they can go bad and it seems like a good shot..
  #7   IP: 86.43.172.18
Old 26-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
was gonna suggest a poor earth contact heating up and breaking down ... as said, alternator will keep her running, until you shut her off.
Heated contact then cools and makes circuit again ... 'til it warms up again.

The isolaters are usually in the earth side anyway .. so could very well be a candidate ... or earth from there to chassis ... or engine block to chassis. Engine earth'd most likely not allow alternator to keep her running though

find all your earths and clean them, for starters
You're right about the earths, no harm in checking and cleaning them. What's good for cleaning contacts on connections etc?
  #8   IP: 109.146.190.205
Old 26-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggy View Post
You're right about the earths, no harm in checking and cleaning them. What's good for cleaning contacts on connections etc?
a wire brush, file if bad and emery cloth
A liberal application of vaseline after cleaning helps to keep 'em that way
If they're spades ... you can buy aerosol contact cleaner, but if they're bad .... replace them