The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6671   IP: 85.255.235.238
Old 21-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

I have the belt sander your thinking of Graham

Although as you say, more than a sander.

I also know why there are so many oil cans..... one for oiling the punch.... the others for throwing at anyone caught not oiling the punch least that's what the old man would threaten when you were young and working for him. One of your first jobs was always at the punch. A lot of people started of there

Plasma has almost done away with both the punch and sander in his place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #6672   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 21-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
I have a Makita belt sander that I sit in the vice, to turn it into a tool grinder. Belts seem to be much better than wheels at dissipating heat, but still require a gentle touch with woodworking chisels.

What’s your favourite abrasive medium and grit size Gra?
Zirconia alumina Chris ..... 36 grit .... rips the sh1t out o' plate and lasts for ever ..... almost.
you would not want a finger anywhere near the business end when running.
that's almost certainly the grit and medium in that video.
they'm a tad rough on the 'dannys', installing 'em .... what you'd call 'non-slip grip'

me couple of spares, I kept

and five spares that arrived with the Kepp ..... pity they'm 60s

I see Aiden has owned up to being the 'someone on here' who has one .... he'll tell you how good they are.

Last edited by V8Druid; 21-06-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typo
  #6673   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 21-06-2018, 11:22 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
I have the belt sander your thinking of Graham

Although as you say, more than a sander.

I also know why there are so many oil cans..... one for oiling the punch.... the others for throwing at anyone caught not oiling the punch least that's what the old man would threaten when you were young and working for him. One of your first jobs was always at the punch. A lot of people started of there

Plasma has almost done away with both the punch and sander in his place.
Will always be a place for the universal and grinder Aiden, in a general fab shop.

no way're you gonna plasma base plates, fish plates, haunch plates, etc. ..... crop, pop and punch 'em, from standard 6.1m flat bar stock.

similarly, no way I'd put a 'dummy' on that sort of job ... too easy to make large piles of scrap ..... or worse still f**k up the ironworker ... or lose a few fingers.
a skilled job running the punch/crop/shear IMHDO.

as for the oil cans ..... yeh .... no excuses for not oiling the punches....like "I couldn't find the oil can"
last a hell of a lot longer with some lube !!
  #6674   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 21-06-2018, 11:40 PM

so ..... the GRINDER .....

A little bubble wrap would've saved the paint scuffs!! ... on what was otherwise a new machine !!

as good as new otherwise and has had virtually no use ... on just ali

bit of a handful to get back in one piece ... on yer own, but got it stood up ...

I'd be willing to bet my left nut this is the sum total of material removed with this lil' peach ....

the paint's still in the bottom of the collector bucket .....
  #6675   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 21-06-2018, 11:46 PM

even the work table still has most of the paint still attached..

belt off to inspect the graphite impregnated platten covering and rollers

#6676   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 22-06-2018, 12:00 AM

rule no 1 ...... keep the rollers clean and free of build up ....

this is the secret to the belts survival ... the serated, soft front wheel ...
allows flex of the belt's surface and stops it tearing !

keeping the wheels clean stops the lil' bugger vibrating

All in all ..... one very happy druid ..... would've run it up, but got collared by SWMBO for a few 'tasks' .... so that put paid to the rest of the day !!
  #6677   IP: 165.120.92.186
Old 22-06-2018, 07:03 AM

Nice sander there Gra

Grinder, grinder, grinder,GRINDER

So how much is a new one?

Last edited by pond digger; 22-06-2018 at 07:09 AM.
  #6678   IP: 185.69.145.63
Old 22-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Will always be a place for the universal and grinder Aiden, in a general fab shop.)

no way're you gonna plasma base plates, fish plates, haunch plates, etc. ..... crop, pop and punch 'em, from standard 6.1m flat bar stock.

similarly, no way I'd put a 'dummy' on that sort of job ... too easy to make large piles of scrap ..... or worse still f**k up the ironworker ... or lose a few fingers.
a skilled job running the punch/crop/shear IMHDO.

as for the oil cans ..... yeh .... no excuses for not oiling the punches....like "I couldn't find the oil can"
last a hell of a lot longer with some lube !!
The CNC plasma is one hell of a tool, 200 x 200 base plate, 4 holes corners rounded, 20mm plate.... about 40 seconds can even mark the out line of the post for easy alignment for welding... it done away with the big ironworker for sure,
but yes there's still one iron worker, and 2 or 3 belts yet

Can't argue that the punch can be dangerous, we were always shown how to do it, watched for a bit and then left to it, both of my wee sisters even served a few summers at it too there was no such thing as lying about the house here in the summers when you where you...... you worked, which is why i think the industry is the way it is now....... no youngsters kicked out to summer/part time jobs. That's how most of us learned, and i guarantee if more of this happened now the whole work place would be different.

One example, my 8 year old nephew had to show the appretrance how to drop the ramp on the plant trailer here one day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #6679   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 22-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Nice sander there Gra

Grinder, grinder, grinder,GRINDER

So how much is a new one?
LOL Chris ..... it'll 'sand' wood, with care, or it just turns to inordinate piles of dust
make no mistake this is a grinder that puts all others to shame ... 10 times the removal rate of anything else

as for new price .... 1200 quid, plus the dreaded Vodka & Tonic ... so a saving of 840 quid for me
If you wanted one there's that very tidy Grimax on Fleabay ATM that I put a pic up of

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIMAX-15...19.m1438.l2649

cheap enough and looks tidy

Important thing is not to buy a cheap one, like axminster ... single sided bearing supports at the biz end and built 'single sided' , so flex can be a BIG issue.
  #6680   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 22-06-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
The CNC plasma is one hell of a tool, 200 x 200 base plate, 4 holes corners rounded, 20mm plate.... about 40 seconds can even mark the out line of the post for easy alignment for welding... it done away with the big ironworker for sure,
but yes there's still one iron worker, and 2 or 3 belts yet

Can't argue that the punch can be dangerous, we were always shown how to do it, watched for a bit and then left to it, both of my wee sisters even served a few summers at it too there was no such thing as lying about the house here in the summers when you where you...... you worked, which is why i think the industry is the way it is now....... no youngsters kicked out to summer/part time jobs. That's how most of us learned, and i guarantee if more of this happened now the whole work place would be different.

One example, my 8 year old nephew had to show the appretrance how to drop the ramp on the plant trailer here one day
Wow on the base plate front .... but only as good as the man driving it ... as with everything .... hard to compete with that though!!

bang on with the summer job bit Aiden ..... kids just want to do **** all and have everything on a plate.

After 3 years in Bristol doing my teaching qualification, I was probably one of the very few to NOT have a huge overdraft/loan over my head .... I worked every holiday and it paid for me to be able to run my car and be self sufficient, money wise.

same in school .. almost always worked in the holidays for my money.

The nephew doesn't surprise me at all .... average teenager has zero nouse, or common sense at all ... but it's all down to nurture ... not shown how/made to do things, they're never gonna learn or want to earn.

the whole of society/the system is ****ed ...... born with their hands out, expecting the living they think the world 'owes' them, mostly .... with the odd exceptions ... mostly members here