The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   IP: 87.113.209.132
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Zaxis22u Zaxis22u is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Question Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

I am in the market for a new 5-5.5 tonner and I am undecided as to which one to go for as yet. Both dealers in my area are superb so i just need to know which machine is the better buy stability, power and serviceability wise.

I have seen both the kubota and hitachi but i am yet to get my hands on a demo for a few days so any advice before i receive the demonstrators would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!
Reply With Quote
  #2   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Traxcavator.'s Avatar
Traxcavator. Traxcavator. is offline
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Hemisphere.
Posts: 13,027
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Kubota is a better built machine and more reliable. If i were you i'd look at a few other makes too. Komatsu and definately Volvo.
__________________
Jumping the gun is never a wise move ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3   IP: 86.159.92.186
Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
polishbuilt polishbuilt is offline
Grand Master Architect
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,197
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxis22u View Post
I am in the market for a new 5-5.5 tonner and I am undecided as to which one to go for as yet. Both dealers in my area are superb so i just need to know which machine is the better buy stability, power and serviceability wise.

I have seen both the kubota and hitachi but i am yet to get my hands on a demo for a few days so any advice before i receive the demonstrators would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!
evening Zaxis....i can t really comment on the Hitachi but my U48 is very simillar to the 55 or 57...Good points.......very frugal on fuel...very very quick and sharp on the hydraulics yet smooth enough too.up to date machine with very handy features such as variable flows,usage log over 3 month period....also smart well painted machine with good un cluttered swing area.....bad points are really bad blind spot with the door shut,crap diesel filler,dipper or blade too short making tidying up damn near impossible(can t believe Kubota have dropped such a clanger)several oil leaks to date and still no room in the cab....also she s a bitch for not releasing pressure in the aux lines.....i ve been talked through all manner of settings and procedures for eliminating this but it still does nt like to dump the pressure.....the volvo s dump it fully everytime you switch off from memory.....on the whole though if i can stop the leaks,im very pleased with it...oh and unbelievably powerful....i seem to remember that they re running at much higher pressures than the U45/U50.
Reply With Quote
  #4   IP: 86.26.201.210
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
strott strott is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Swindon, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,917
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

The U55-4 has a slightly longer arm than the U48-4 that polish is running so that may help aleviate the problem of not being able to clean up against the blade

Unusual issue with the auxilary lines there, that would be a problem for me as on some days I connect up either a breaker or screening bucket multiple times - luckily my machine has pedal auxilary controls so I can move the pedal to alleviate the pressure with the control safety lever raised (I don't have to do this very often, so does that mean the u48-4 lets pressure from elsewhere in the system seep into the auxilary lines??)

A volvo ECR58 is the same size as those already discussed but doesn't that have a side mounted engine like the ECR88 which apparently ruins the balance of the machine?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5   IP: 95.147.65.62
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM
left hooker left hooker is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cornwall
Posts: 1,989
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Kubota is a better built machine and more reliable. If i were you i'd look at a few other makes too. Komatsu and definately Volvo.
????
the hitachi runs kubota engines and my ex45 at 10 years old is going strong with nothing done to it
Reply With Quote
  #6   IP: 87.115.100.211
Old 12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Zaxis22u Zaxis22u is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Thanks for the comments guys.
I have just finished with a 55 on demo and i was very impressed.
@polish, I know what you mean about the blind spot and the in ability to clear up against the blade (and i thought the u45-3 we are trading in against the new machine was bad).

One of my colleagues has just finished with a new holland kebelco machine and that was awful, god digger wise but the door was to narrow for me and im tiny, the controls are way to low and to close to your legs and the seat might have well been drift wood it was that bad.

As for my purchase the kubota is the best deal by a mile, only 1k more than the hitachi but with more extras and a 3yr warranty over the 12 hm plant are offering.
Reply With Quote
  #7   IP: 86.26.201.210
Old 13-08-2011, 09:39 AM
strott strott is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Swindon, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,917
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Thanks for keeping us updated.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8   IP: 86.25.14.66
Old 13-08-2011, 09:48 PM
scary spider scary spider is offline
Secret Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 81
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

zaxis22u, ive had my ex55ur (1999 model) 6 years. its zero tail swing, knuckle boom, canopy, nissan 4 pot engine. i really cant fault it at all. parts never been a problem, HM plant always very helpfull. the machine does every thing i expect it to do. uses about 5 gallons of diesel a day. cant comment on the kubota cause i aint run one that size, but i think kubota machinery is top quality.
steve
Reply With Quote
  #9   IP: 2.101.137.151
Old 14-08-2011, 12:53 PM
JCBJZ145's Avatar
JCBJZ145 JCBJZ145 is offline
Elect of Fifteen
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 652
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxis22u View Post
Thanks for the comments guys.
I have just finished with a 55 on demo and i was very impressed.
@polish, I know what you mean about the blind spot and the in ability to clear up against the blade (and i thought the u45-3 we are trading in against the new machine was bad).

One of my colleagues has just finished with a new holland kebelco machine and that was awful, god digger wise but the door was to narrow for me and im tiny, the controls are way to low and to close to your legs and the seat might have well been drift wood it was that bad.

As for my purchase the kubota is the best deal by a mile, only 1k more than the hitachi but with more extras and a 3yr warranty over the 12 hm plant are offering.
Zaxis, i have been using New Holland machines for some time now, and i havent really noticed the door being narrow, and im 6"5 and not the smallest of boned lads. I get where your coming from with the controls, i did find it a little strange when i first started using the 5 tonner, but once you get used to them you dont really notice it. The seat has taken me some time to get comfortable in, but once your reclined it etc i dont notice it.
Brand new New Holland 5 tonner with a 5 year warrenty: http://reedsltd.com/New_Holland_E50_2.html
Ashley.
Reply With Quote
  #10   IP: 87.112.176.39
Old 19-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Zaxis22u Zaxis22u is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBJZ145 View Post
Zaxis, i have been using New Holland machines for some time now, and i havent really noticed the door being narrow, and im 6"5 and not the smallest of boned lads. I get where your coming from with the controls, i did find it a little strange when i first started using the 5 tonner, but once you get used to them you dont really notice it. The seat has taken me some time to get comfortable in, but once your reclined it etc i dont notice it.
Brand new New Holland 5 tonner with a 5 year warrenty: http://reedsltd.com/New_Holland_E50_2.html
Ashley.
The warranty on the N.H/ Kebelco was fantastic thats why we looked at it but we have a rather picky driver and he is on the super xl side of big, so the door was more challenging for him. We have also been accustomed a larger door mainly operating larger machines until recently.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
which machine?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Partner Links



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.