The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 87.113.209.132
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Question Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

I am in the market for a new 5-5.5 tonner and I am undecided as to which one to go for as yet. Both dealers in my area are superb so i just need to know which machine is the better buy stability, power and serviceability wise.

I have seen both the kubota and hitachi but i am yet to get my hands on a demo for a few days so any advice before i receive the demonstrators would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!
  #2   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: Which is better, kubota 55-4u or hitachi 52u-3

Kubota is a better built machine and more reliable. If i were you i'd look at a few other makes too. Komatsu and definately Volvo.
  #3   IP: 86.159.92.186
Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxis22u View Post
I am in the market for a new 5-5.5 tonner and I am undecided as to which one to go for as yet. Both dealers in my area are superb so i just need to know which machine is the better buy stability, power and serviceability wise.

I have seen both the kubota and hitachi but i am yet to get my hands on a demo for a few days so any advice before i receive the demonstrators would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!
evening Zaxis....i can t really comment on the Hitachi but my U48 is very simillar to the 55 or 57...Good points.......very frugal on fuel...very very quick and sharp on the hydraulics yet smooth enough too.up to date machine with very handy features such as variable flows,usage log over 3 month period....also smart well painted machine with good un cluttered swing area.....bad points are really bad blind spot with the door shut,crap diesel filler,dipper or blade too short making tidying up damn near impossible(can t believe Kubota have dropped such a clanger)several oil leaks to date and still no room in the cab....also she s a bitch for not releasing pressure in the aux lines.....i ve been talked through all manner of settings and procedures for eliminating this but it still does nt like to dump the pressure.....the volvo s dump it fully everytime you switch off from memory.....on the whole though if i can stop the leaks,im very pleased with it...oh and unbelievably powerful....i seem to remember that they re running at much higher pressures than the U45/U50.
  #4   IP: 86.26.201.210
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

The U55-4 has a slightly longer arm than the U48-4 that polish is running so that may help aleviate the problem of not being able to clean up against the blade

Unusual issue with the auxilary lines there, that would be a problem for me as on some days I connect up either a breaker or screening bucket multiple times - luckily my machine has pedal auxilary controls so I can move the pedal to alleviate the pressure with the control safety lever raised (I don't have to do this very often, so does that mean the u48-4 lets pressure from elsewhere in the system seep into the auxilary lines??)

A volvo ECR58 is the same size as those already discussed but doesn't that have a side mounted engine like the ECR88 which apparently ruins the balance of the machine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #5   IP: 95.147.65.62
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Kubota is a better built machine and more reliable. If i were you i'd look at a few other makes too. Komatsu and definately Volvo.
????
the hitachi runs kubota engines and my ex45 at 10 years old is going strong with nothing done to it
  #6   IP: 87.115.100.211
Old 12-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.
I have just finished with a 55 on demo and i was very impressed.
@polish, I know what you mean about the blind spot and the in ability to clear up against the blade (and i thought the u45-3 we are trading in against the new machine was bad).

One of my colleagues has just finished with a new holland kebelco machine and that was awful, god digger wise but the door was to narrow for me and im tiny, the controls are way to low and to close to your legs and the seat might have well been drift wood it was that bad.

As for my purchase the kubota is the best deal by a mile, only 1k more than the hitachi but with more extras and a 3yr warranty over the 12 hm plant are offering.
  #7   IP: 86.26.201.210
Old 13-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Thanks for keeping us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #8   IP: 86.25.14.66
Old 13-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Secret Master

zaxis22u, ive had my ex55ur (1999 model) 6 years. its zero tail swing, knuckle boom, canopy, nissan 4 pot engine. i really cant fault it at all. parts never been a problem, HM plant always very helpfull. the machine does every thing i expect it to do. uses about 5 gallons of diesel a day. cant comment on the kubota cause i aint run one that size, but i think kubota machinery is top quality.
steve
  #9   IP: 2.101.137.151
Old 14-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxis22u View Post
Thanks for the comments guys.
I have just finished with a 55 on demo and i was very impressed.
@polish, I know what you mean about the blind spot and the in ability to clear up against the blade (and i thought the u45-3 we are trading in against the new machine was bad).

One of my colleagues has just finished with a new holland kebelco machine and that was awful, god digger wise but the door was to narrow for me and im tiny, the controls are way to low and to close to your legs and the seat might have well been drift wood it was that bad.

As for my purchase the kubota is the best deal by a mile, only 1k more than the hitachi but with more extras and a 3yr warranty over the 12 hm plant are offering.
Zaxis, i have been using New Holland machines for some time now, and i havent really noticed the door being narrow, and im 6"5 and not the smallest of boned lads. I get where your coming from with the controls, i did find it a little strange when i first started using the 5 tonner, but once you get used to them you dont really notice it. The seat has taken me some time to get comfortable in, but once your reclined it etc i dont notice it.
Brand new New Holland 5 tonner with a 5 year warrenty: http://reedsltd.com/New_Holland_E50_2.html
Ashley.
  #10   IP: 87.112.176.39
Old 19-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBJZ145 View Post
Zaxis, i have been using New Holland machines for some time now, and i havent really noticed the door being narrow, and im 6"5 and not the smallest of boned lads. I get where your coming from with the controls, i did find it a little strange when i first started using the 5 tonner, but once you get used to them you dont really notice it. The seat has taken me some time to get comfortable in, but once your reclined it etc i dont notice it.
Brand new New Holland 5 tonner with a 5 year warrenty: http://reedsltd.com/New_Holland_E50_2.html
Ashley.
The warranty on the N.H/ Kebelco was fantastic thats why we looked at it but we have a rather picky driver and he is on the super xl side of big, so the door was more challenging for him. We have also been accustomed a larger door mainly operating larger machines until recently.

Tags
which machine?