The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 95.148.190.21
Old 11-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Perfect Master

Default Welder Question, Any Welders Out there

I am thinking of upgrading from my 'buzz box transformer' am looking at either a decent inverter welder or an old school Oxford or similar oil cooled welder. I need 80V open circuit to allow use of low hydrogen rods & other specials. I only have access to single phase AC - at present a 16A blue industrial socket (can actually draw 20A through this)
Can I weld cast iron with AC? Not cyl heads but antique stuff such as bench ends - this is just an extra side line use if poss - not the main use

I wish to Horizontal T butt weld 10 mm thick plate to 12 mm plate as a one off, can I do this with 3.2 mm rods & multiple runs ?

I passed a weld test T butt vertical up -10mm to 10 mm plate - E7018, 2.5 mm root run, capped by woven 3.25 mm

Also did horizontal T butt 10 mm plates with E6013 root run & multiple weave runs over the root. This was on the college equipment though years ago - weaves no wider than 3x rod dia.

I guess I am asking do I need a machine capable of running 4mm rods - never used these rods at college. Granted it is more economic to run a single pass on a big rod - but welder only for occasional use not production.
I have to remake the slew post for a 5 star Gopher digger - hence the 10 mm to 12 mm T butt. Recently re welded its little bucket flanges with the buzz box & 3.25 rods. Think I need E7016 for the slew post fab?
  #2   IP: 31.54.101.234
Old 11-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Secret Master

Default Re: Welder Question, Any Welders Out there

You don't normally get more than about 50v from ac buzz box or oil cooled oxfords, so I would go with an mma inverter or a mig for low hydrogen.
If you have passed a weld test on 10mm plate you should be fine using 3.2 rods with a multi pass main thing is not getting any flux trapped in the weld.
  #3   IP: 84.92.165.28
Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Not qualified to help but this forum is

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

A wealth of information on matters welding and much else besides.
  #4   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 12-05-2018, 12:12 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

180/250A Oxford/Cyrtringan has 50v and 80v tappings ... rare to find a 1ph one though .... however

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Oi...4AAOSwjR5at5Rj

and here's the control panel form the Cytringan version (Identical)

Old skool but a decent weld with them. Inverter is the way ahead though, TBH.

My 140A Esab Caddy will run a 4mm rod on 60% duty cycle - 3.25mm at 100% duty cycle ... plus it's a DC arc

This is a decent basic set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARWELD-X...EAAOSwnDZUCBXk
or .... a bit more swish ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Esab-160a...0AAOSwcj1aTKz2
and double the bucks
  #5   IP: 95.148.190.21
Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Perfect Master

Thanks for the replies all, I have joined the mig welding forum & are reading up all I can.
V8 Druid, I lean toward the oil cooled, the Cytringhan you show is on 400-440V needing 2 phases (&@ 7.5 KVA max input = 31.25A across these two phases. My elec supply rules out one as big as this sadly.
It does speak of topping up the welder with transformer oil, can this still be bought?
I see several on ebay, Cytringhan, Oxford, & a third Yorkshire make. I think I cannot decide till I get an answer from the welder forum as to weather I can do my job with 3.25 rods rather than 4. This is the key to everything as it even decides on the size / cost of an inverter model.
Do you happen to know if the oil cooled will weld cast iron with the correct rod - or do I need the DC of an inverter.
I think the oil cooled much more likely to live long - very slight downside is its lack of portability. Pete
  #6   IP: 31.51.59.31
Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Operator View Post
Thanks for the replies all, I have joined the mig welding forum & are reading up all I can.
V8 Druid, I lean toward the oil cooled, the Cytringhan you show is on 400-440V needing 2 phases (&@ 7.5 KVA max input = 31.25A across these two phases. My elec supply rules out one as big as this sadly.
It does speak of topping up the welder with transformer oil, can this still be bought?
I see several on ebay, Cytringhan, Oxford, & a third Yorkshire make. I think I cannot decide till I get an answer from the welder forum as to weather I can do my job with 3.25 rods rather than 4. This is the key to everything as it even decides on the size / cost of an inverter model.
Do you happen to know if the oil cooled will weld cast iron with the correct rod - or do I need the DC of an inverter.
I think the oil cooled much more likely to live long - very slight downside is its lack of portability. Pete
I've had that Caddy maybe 20 years Boyo and it's had a fair bit of HD use these last 4-5 years
The cytringan was purely for the pic of the range plate ... the one on the Oxford was well worn, but was 230-380-440V .. not many had the 230 tapping.
Transformer oil is readily available.
Cast / special purpose rods usually run fine on AC, but even better on DC.
If you want portability the Oxford is going on 100kgs+ .... an inverter can be hung on your shoulder, up a ladder !!
The 3.25mm rods will give you a better penetrative weld, juiced up and layered on.
just about everything I've put together in my thread, these last few years has been with the Caddy and 3.25 rods

An oil cooled set will last a lifetime usually though ..... provided it's kept full of oil .....
they do not like having any part of the windings exposed - and remember to turn it off when not in use .... they get hot overnight, not used
  #7   IP: 86.190.182.122
Old 17-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Secret Master

Just noticed the name Cytringan in this thread, can vouch for these old welders as we have had one from new as per the picture from V8Druid must be 50 years old and going still going strong, im not that old btw cheers
  #8   IP: 81.129.193.98
Old 20-05-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
Just noticed the name Cytringan in this thread, can vouch for these old welders as we have had one from new as per the picture from V8Druid must be 50 years old and going still going strong, im not that old btw cheers
don't know what the tie up was between Oxford and Cytringen, but they were absolutely identical sets, save for the cabinet colours ....
green for Oxfords and silver hammerite for Cytringens ? .... plus of course the badges on the labels

both excellent sets and very long lasting ...... as long as the oil levels are kept above the windings ....
allow them to become exposed and they will not last long, as with all oil immersed/cooled transformers
  #9   IP: 81.129.193.98
Old 20-05-2018, 12:16 AM

this is cheap ATM, at 40 quid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Cy...8AAOSw0-Ba~G9l

and so is this .......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-Oxfo...wAAOSwqblasPqm

twin operator 300A, or 600 amp single op.
had a Murex set, similar and damn would it lay down some BIG sticks

however at 9KVA input ... it'll only be 3 ph
  #10   IP: 81.129.193.98
Old 20-05-2018, 12:23 AM

Pickhill were also virtually identical to the Oxford/Cytringan 'marque'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pickhill-...oAAOSwbq9a7ABf

and were again, a decent set