The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Introductions

#1   IP: 109.231.203.66
Old 19-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Default JCB C3 Mark 3

Hi,

I have just bought one of these, about 1980. I am told it was one of the last ones of this shape. It has a shuttle leaver to go forward and backwards.

It has gears also, but can not see a clutch, so have just left it in one gear, which seems pleanty fast enough.

Few problems:

1) Steering goes very hard and then loose.

2) Gets hot!!

3) Leaking hoses, I am told best to get new ones made up, as spares are hard to find.

4) Can not work out how to move back actor along. Assume there is some way of un locking it and sliding it about with the actor.

5) Breaks dont work.

6) Probably needs a service as I don't what has and has not been done for a while. It certainly has not seen a grease gun in a long time. Are there any baisc guides to show how to service these? What oils to use etc.

Any help or mauals would be great news.

Looking forward to hearing.

Cheers
  #2   IP: 88.87.189.64
Old 19-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Perfect Master

Default Re: JCB C3 Mark 3

torke machine with a leyland engine.tranmession was borgwarner if imkorrect de same as de case 580..... probably a bloked radator or water pump..check to make sure de rite oil is in de breaks..
  #3   IP: 78.41.2.13
Old 19-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Provost and Judge

Hi Astimson, welcome to the forum, you will find lots of friendly people around here. If you let me have your e-mail address I will forward the ops manual for this machine to you, that should help some. With regards to the steering problem, what is the hydraulic oil level at, first thing to play up when the level is low on these machines is the steering! Rad blocked or thermostat u/s for too hot. Hydra clamps need to be released to move the back-acter along the rails. If shes not been looked after well, they maybe seized. All this info is in the manual Cheers for now. Mark
  #4   IP: 91.125.187.118
Old 19-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH1255 View Post
torke machine with a leyland engine.tranmession was borgwarner if imkorrect de same as de case 580..... probably a bloked radator or water pump..check to make sure de rite oil is in de breaks..
Thank you so much. So what do I do to sort out over heating, worried I might kill it as it was smoking after two hours. What oil for breaks and any clue on steering. These three things are worring, the other bad bits I can cope with!!!
  #5   IP: 91.125.187.118
Old 19-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Mark,

Thank you, I want to preserve this old girl, want to make sure I dont killer off. So the manuals would be so useful, I think it has the leyland engine.

When it arrived just after it came off the lorry it ran dry, so already bled the derv though so now know my way around a little bit.

Most worrying bits are, over heating, will this cause damage? She was smoking after two hours of very light work.

No breaks scares me!

Steering goes light then very hard.

Is there a basic service book?? I should follow as I dont know is any has ever been done, certainly this is the only grease in serveal years she has seen.

Any tips very welcome and thank you for your time. Any info much apprciated, if you have anything you can e-mail that would be great.

astimson@savills.com

Cheers
  #6   IP: 95.144.215.175
Old 20-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Knight of the East

If it's overheating you want to be very careful. I presume it has a heat gauge (if not I advise you invest in one.

the radiator needs a blow out to start with, and if you suspect that won't work then take the radiator out and flush it through with a hose pipe in reverse to what the engine normally pumps water through.

As for the brakes, I've been told the 3C's where a bit prone to it (being that it's only tractor brakes) So once you get them working you'll need to use the gears for braking/holding it back whenever possible.

Somewhere, Hidden Deep inside grandfathers attic is a 3C operators manual and possibly a Workshop Manual. I'll see if I can find them for you.

Also when you have five minutes, Spray the back legs with Oil or paint on some. Just makes the operation smoother, if it's really bad then wire brush the legs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" "It's not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a business…. It's to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can't see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I'll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must" - Mr Fezziewig, 1721 - Fuck knows dickens never told me.
  #7   IP: 109.231.203.66
Old 21-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Hi Guys,

I must be really stupid, I am stugglig with this posting thing!

Should this messages and theard be under construction? At the moment it seems to be bu under introductions. Can I move it some how?

Thank you for all the info to date, so helpful.

Mark could I have the manuals when you get a chance, as would love to try and service the old girl over the next few days off we are about to get.

No idea if you will see this message or not??

My e mail is astimson@savills.com
  #8   IP: 109.231.203.66
Old 21-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
If it's overheating you want to be very careful. I presume it has a heat gauge (if not I advise you invest in one.

the radiator needs a blow out to start with, and if you suspect that won't work then take the radiator out and flush it through with a hose pipe in reverse to what the engine normally pumps water through.

As for the brakes, I've been told the 3C's where a bit prone to it (being that it's only tractor brakes) So once you get them working you'll need to use the gears for braking/holding it back whenever possible.

Somewhere, Hidden Deep inside grandfathers attic is a 3C operators manual and possibly a Workshop Manual. I'll see if I can find them for you.

Also when you have five minutes, Spray the back legs with Oil or paint on some. Just makes the operation smoother, if it's really bad then wire brush the legs.

The manuals would be amazing. Mark Rive, said he has some he can PDF to me, but no sign of them as yet, not sure if he got my messages.

No heat gauge it just start to smell hot and smoke came off the engine. Assume all the years of oil and filth buring off.

I will try all the tips. Thank you so much.
  #9   IP: 109.231.203.66
Old 21-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Rive View Post
Hi Astimson, welcome to the forum, you will find lots of friendly people around here. If you let me have your e-mail address I will forward the ops manual for this machine to you, that should help some. With regards to the steering problem, what is the hydraulic oil level at, first thing to play up when the level is low on these machines is the steering! Rad blocked or thermostat u/s for too hot. Hydra clamps need to be released to move the back-acter along the rails. If shes not been looked after well, they maybe seized. All this info is in the manual Cheers for now. Mark
Is the steering and and actor and bucket all driven from the same hydraulic oil resivor?

Or is the steering on a seperate system? When some oil leaked out it looked brown in colour and seemed to seperate, as it there were two types of oil. Advice change all the oil??
  #10   IP: 121.222.132.78
Old 21-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Knight of the East

You posted under construction { where i have replyed } as well as here in introductions . ian .