The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Introductions

#1   IP: 86.4.55.157
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Default A plea for help from men with diggers

Hi,
Are you passionate about football AND your community, particularly the children in it? Well so am I! Does anyone want to help some kids get their Football Club home, where it belongs. I know this is a very very long shot but I am really hoping that someone will read this post, feel their heart strings pull and almost take pity on me and my cause and offer to help
I am the club secretary for my sons Youth Football Club, SMYFC, based in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. We have just secured the use of some land to base our club and bring the club home to Stukeley rather than it being on the other side of town. The problem we have is that it requires a huge amount of work, alot of which we are doing voluntarily - cutting trees down, strimming the large weeds and hedges, etc. However, we now find ourselves in a position whereby we require the use of large plant machinery to flatten and level out the land so we can start to sort the pitches out.
We have landscapers on board who are willing to lay turf, provide fencing, sort out tree-felling but we can do none of this until the land is flat.
This is where hopefully, some kind generous soul will come good and want to help get involved with this great club who provide so much for the local children.
We have extremely limited funds but what we would offer however is lots of advertising on our pitches. We will have approximately 300+ people pass through it at home matches (we have six teams now). The local press are extremely interested in running a story on us as they are aware of our project and are keen to get on board - this would obviously involve the mention of anyone who has given up their time, experience, equipment, etc.
I have contacted ALL the local plant hire companies in the area and they have either ignored our plea or have just flatley refused. I am aware that this is costly, we're in austere times and things are uncertain but we are just trying to provide somewhere safe for the local kids where they can be focused on something positive whilst getting fit at the same time - better than them hanging about getting up to no good or being stuck indoors on an array of games consoles.
If you are interested or have any ideas then please contact me. I hope someone can help us.
Many thanks

Last edited by Jo-Jo Binks; 04-08-2012 at 07:30 PM.
  #2   IP: 2.96.89.174
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: A plea for help from men with diggers

Try contacting some of the more reputable hauliers who run their own 8 wheelers. Many of these people run their own spoil tips and will do all the leg work and planning applications for you on the basis of a money earning tip on your site.

This will often involve some sort of land raising where your pitch would eventually sit on the top, and or creating some bunding.

There is also a chance that this tip can create revenue for the club.

Well worth you looking into but dont get involved with the do as you likeys.

Mint.
  #3   IP: 2.96.89.174
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Oh yes, welcome to the club, please observe the dress code, and stick around and let us know how you get on with this project. Are we calling you jo-jo?
  #4   IP: 86.4.55.157
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Thanks for your reply but I am not sure we would be able to do that, the land is private land behind a pub and for a while it was a campsite but then the "do as u likey's" took a liking to it and ruined it so all facilities for campers was removed by the land owners and it was left to become overgrown and good for nothing for the last 8 years. Now we have shown an interest, the pub are letting use of the land for free and will put the changing facilities in but we have to make the land good and match ready. Harder than you think!
  #5   IP: 86.4.55.157
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Ha Ha thank you. And yes Jo-jo is fine - or Binks! I answer to pretty much anything (within reason) Lol
  #6   IP: 86.174.47.155
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Hi jo jo , have you approached the likes of Blackwells
Pryors etc who are more earthmoving contractors , for any assistance good publicity for them , i am sure there will be more ideas along soon
perhaps a mini working event for the Link club

cheers graham
  #7   IP: 195.93.21.74
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Roly Billings is right on your doorstep. If I were local i would take a look at your project and let you have some kit for an agreed period. I cant see as you would need more than a dozer for a week or so in any event.
In fact if you could get a local low loader to pick up a machine from Near heathrow i may be able to help. I would expect you to have some funds available.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 04-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.
  #8   IP: 86.4.55.157
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Roly Billings?? Not heard of them but having googled them see they are very local.
As for funds - unfortunately we are a non-profit organisation and all the money that we do get goes into training equipment, league fees and registration, and football events for the kids. We are in the process of applying for grants but that will take months and months to come through.
We are also looking for sponsorships so we can fund the club project but its not as easy as people make it out to be. Companies seem to just want to have their name on a footie shirt but don't realise that there is so much more to a club than the kit. I am aware that a Low Loader does 9 mile to the gallon so anticipate it would be very costly to pick up and drop to and from Heathrow. Thank you for your reply though and taking the time to respond.
  #9   IP: 86.4.55.157
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
Hi jo jo , have you approached the likes of Blackwells
Pryors etc who are more earthmoving contractors , for any assistance good publicity for them , i am sure there will be more ideas along soon
perhaps a mini working event for the Link club

cheers graham
Will take a look at earth moving contractors. Thanks.

What is the Link Club???? Sorry, typical girlie and have not much idea about this sort of stuff
  #10   IP: 86.174.47.155
Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 PM

i have posted your request on another forum too , so more people will get to see it