The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Introductions

#21   IP: 90.221.135.33
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Default Re: New member

Yeah I am imagine it being pain to hire in machines for jobs, what with time spent waiting for it to be delivered etc!

the hire purchase Is basically just another name for the finance I read up about, so you do a deal and end up owning at the end.
realistically I would like to own a machine from new because then I know for the first few years it would be under warranty but hopefully not likely to have anything major wrong with it apart from a bit of wear, and I know I will look after it, whereas buying used, yeah you can get a good deal but who knows what the machines been through.

it's just something I'm still looking into so ill have to have a few demos on some machines and see what's what
  #22   IP: 78.146.132.215
Old 06-01-2014, 02:14 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Most important part is getting paid theres a lot of b -stards out there trying to con you etc going bust etc be on your guard lads
  #23   IP: 87.113.232.230
Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Provost and Judge

I agree with the other posts here. You are going to be standing around not working, learn something, and basic maintenance is the obvious one. If you have that sussed then buy a cheap dog and repair it. It isn't until you take something to bits that you can see how it really works.

The other comment I would make is buy secondhand, it is cheaper. And if you are worried about reliability then two secondhand machines are still less than half the cost of a new one. Paint them up so they look good, straighten the dents, fix the glass, so it looks the biz.

Just remembered I have some info from VOSA about the 3.1/2 tonne limit that is worth spreading around. I couldn't work out if I needed an O license for dragging trees around the countryside. Worked out there were 144 different options of vehicle, trailer, weight etc and moaned at my MP, this is what I got back from DoT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010174.jpg (94.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1010175.jpg (89.9 KB, 12 views)
  #24   IP: 217.42.27.13
Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Well the one good thing is that because I'm working for my old man at the mo, Inbetween any jobs that I get to start with I will still have work to keep the finances tied over, I know he wants to help me out so by keeping me on Inbetween my work Means I won't be stood around, hopefully not anyway ha!

But like I said before I am still debating the route of purchase for a machine!
it's good to hear everyone's advice, especially if they have 'been there, done that' knowing the pro's and con's always helps!

I couldn't quite read some of that document, is it saying that bascally of your and owner/operator, you have to have a licence or? so many laws etc to get your head around! Starts to get confusing!
  #25   IP: 31.50.193.105
Old 07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Knight of the East

If you not charging for haulage, You don't need to worry, that's my understanding. To be honest at 20, either get yourself a wheeled machine or a 5 ton and pay someone to haul it around. Unless you have done the test like me you cannot haul a trailer more then 800kgs

Good second hand will serve you well, I brought my machine for around 6400 inc vat. It will in time take another 1500 to do some repairs and get new attachments, Including engine referb, and front forks. Not the prettiest thing but it will earn almost the same hire as a new machine.

Likewise with your accounts its my understanding that whilst you can only claim depreciation for a vehicle. you can still claim 100% for parts/repairs. I'm not an accountant though and I leave that to them. They couldn't stop me spending money on plant anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford 655.jpg (42.4 KB, 18 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #26   IP: 87.113.232.230
Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Provost and Judge

Another attempt at the VOSA documents, not using the flash.

As soon as you go over 3.5 tonnes train weight, or the vehicle and trailer have a MAM of greater than 3.5 tonnes, then you need to understand the regs. The problem is that a towing vehicle weighs nearly 2.5 tonnes to start plus 0.5 tonne for the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010176.jpg (91.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1010177.jpg (93.3 KB, 4 views)
  #27   IP: 217.42.27.13
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Sublime Master Elected

I see, so if I was taking muck away from a job the an 'O' licence would be needed?

Basically my plan is to buy a transit tipper, and then buy a new holland e10, 1ton zero tail expanding tracks etc, with a set of ramps and stick it on the transit for transporting it.. So for now I don't have to worry about a trailer licence.
I know some jobs may require a larger machine but at least with the smaller one I can have access to any job providing it has 750mm, and anything bigger hire is always an option if I get the work, until I can afford to buy probably a 3 tonner, and then possibly do a class 2 and buy a beaver tail, at least then if I do get a bigger machine again, I could have/drive a lorry myself for transport/muck away (this is a long term, rough plan) but obviously you never know how things will go!
  #28   IP: 81.155.90.228
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Provost and Judge

If you are towing with a transit you will not need a O licence. If you tow with an Iveco 35.10 you will not need an O licence but if you tow with an Iveco 65.10 same truck but bigger springs you need an O licence. If I tow my 3 tonner with the Iveco I need an o licence but if someone drives the same truck with the same trailer and use digger for hobby they don't its an absolute farse. Been stopped with trailer on and told if I had anything on it I would be taken to court
  #29   IP: 31.50.193.105
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards1993 View Post
Basically my plan is to buy a transit tipper, and then buy a new holland e10, 1ton zero tail expanding tracks etc, with a set of ramps and stick it on the transit for transporting it.. So for now I don't have to worry about a trailer licence.
Good plan and to be honest similar to my original one. However the digger I have access to is 1.5t with some extra spec which makes it too heavy to go on a 3.5t truck. Hence the Backhoe, and for the future a nice 8t low deck plant trailer & tractor to use for agricultural jobs.

Strott and Local Diggers on here are the men to talk to about 3.5t trucks and mini diggers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #30   IP: 87.113.232.230
Old 08-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Provost and Judge

Probably not. My understanding is that if you are doing it for yourself, not hire and reward, then an O license isn't needed up to 7.5 tonnes. Read the different scenarios in the VOSA document. I was surprised that even hiring a digger didn't make it hire & reward.

The other thing that came out of my investigations into O licenses is that neither VOSA or the police necessarily understand the law either. If you do get stopped then make sure you know why they make the statements that they do. And also make a note of place, time, their registration number and their id number. Just in case. And if they are wrong then write to your MP and complain.

Advantage of a trailer is that they are much closer to the ground. Driving a digger up onto a Transit would be impossibly buttock clenching for me!