The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 81.129.193.246
Old 14-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default explosion at harford attachments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cket-firm.html

" Two men in their 20s and 50s die in blast at digger bucket firm which sent 'thick plumes of smoke into air as sky went dark' "

Can't seem to find much more about this tonight ..... doubtless there wil be more tomorrow.
Very sad for the two men's families

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-33505889

Last edited by V8Druid; 14-07-2015 at 12:06 AM.
  #2   IP: 86.181.33.10
Old 14-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: explosion at harford attachments

It was on our local news last night, very sad for all involved.

They did not know or want to speculate about what had caused the explosion, did say they were working together in a spray booth, but who knows.

Awful events for everyone at Harford and the families.
  #3   IP: 92.20.249.41
Old 14-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Master Elect of Nine

very sad day for norwich only about 5 minutes up the road from me had to go on the estate today and the whole estate is subdued lot of manufacturing and fabrication company's based on there to they all sort of knew each other. Just had my uncle pop in and it turns out he knew the older one of them from his old job also he used to haul buckets from them when they where based on there old site. They have know named the 2 dead men one of them was 29 and the other 56. Must have been in a bad way if they could only recover the bodies this afternoon shows how fragile life can be go to work after a weekend off and don't get to come home again

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/...fire_1_4152774

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #4   IP: 86.148.54.246
Old 02-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

over three years ago !!

"An investigation by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found the immediate cause of the explosion to be the inconsistent and incomplete approach to health and safety by the company and its employees.

https://www.theconstructionindex.co....adly-explosion

so ..... their employees were as much to blame .... nanny state here we come ... again
Common sense is dead and buried

Last edited by V8Druid; 03-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.
  #5   IP: 86.158.95.146
Old 02-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Not quite sure where you're coming from with this, Gra? What has two fatalities got to do with the nanny state?
  #6   IP: 86.148.54.246
Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri963 View Post
Not quite sure where you're coming from with this, Gra? What has two fatalities got to do with the nanny state?
the employees were found to be as much to blame as the company in regards to health and safety implementation, by the seems of it .... what are you going to do, stand over them every minute of the day??

If folks can't take care of their own health and safety, it's a sad day when their employers are expected to lead them by the hand. They'll be expected to wipe their noses for them next, whenever they have a sniffle.

The death of anyone in an accident is a sad affair Bri, but reading between the lines it would seem that there may well have been a shortage of common sense in play and quite possibly complacency with what sounds like a potentially deadly environment

" flammable vapour generated while cleaning or flushing a paint spray gun was ignited by one of the various sources of ignition that were present."

Would you be doing that if there was a chance of it going bang, or even doing it where there was a chance of it happening ?? Would you flush a gun through anywhere near any " sources of ignition "
No .... your own common sense and sense of self preservation would stop you.
  #7   IP: 178.100.210.236
Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri963 View Post
Totally agree with you, putting up that “Absoulty Brilliant” obituary, along side the death of those workers, regardless of the findings, is completely out of order, disrespectful and certainly not what this forum is about!!
  #8   IP: 86.148.54.246
Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
Totally agree with you, putting up that “Absoulty Brilliant” obituary, along side the death of those workers, regardless of the findings, is completely out of order, disrespectful and certainly not what this forum is about!!
Now I'm a bit less zombie like and more awake I have to agree with you guys
.....the 'obituary for common sense' is a bit insensitive in this location ... but I was using it to try to make a point.

had the HSE's findings been solely that of the Company's fault, the fines, etc. would have been massively greater and probably a much wider range of penalties imposed.

I am not trying to belittle the sad deaths of the two guys involved, merely endeavoring to emphasise their own possible parts played, as found by the inquiry .

I'll take the offending item down, as it is insensitive, here, but as said, was trying to make a point. We all have to look out for our own well being and safety and not rely on the system to guard against any lack of common sense.
  #9   IP: 178.100.210.236
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Now I'm a bit less zombie like and more awake I have to agree with you guys
.....the 'obituary for common sense' is a bit insensitive in this location ... but I was using it to try to make a point.

had the HSE's findings been solely that of the Company's fault, the fines, etc. would have been massively greater and probably a much wider range of penalties imposed.

I am not trying to belittle the sad deaths of the two guys involved, merely endeavoring to emphasise their own possible parts played, as found by the inquiry .

I'll take the offending item down, as it is insensitive, here, but as said, was trying to make a point. We all have to look out for our own well being and safety and not rely on the system to guard against any lack of common sense.
I know you wouldn’t of meant it in malice or nasty-ness Gra, and I get the point/understand the point you were trying to make, if they were in separate threads, I wouldn’t of batted an eye lid, bit it hit a bit of a nerve, that’s all.
  #10   IP: 86.148.54.246
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
I know you wouldn’t of meant it in malice or nasty-ness Gra, and I get the point/understand the point you were trying to make, if they were in separate threads, I wouldn’t of batted an eye lid, bit it hit a bit of a nerve, that’s all.
Absolutely Ollie ..... been on 'screensaver' for several days, due to lack of sleep. from a screaming 'grandson', nightly.

Packed 'em off to Italy yesterday

The loss of anyone's life is a sad affair and when it's in these sorts of circumstances ... which it would appear, could well have avoided, with common sense prevailing, it is even more regrettable.

Relying on others/regimes to replace our own sensibilities, or sense of self preservation is one step beyond, IMHDO.

Were it different I am certain that Harford's management would've been staring down the barrels of a corporate manslaughter charge some time ago.