The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 16-07-2018, 12:11 AM
Knight of the East

Arrow Jcb fastrac

Hi all, hope those that dont use the facebook page are well?

Need some important advice please.

In ghe process of buying a yard after the council have told me i cant work from home, this type pf property was hard and expensive to find. But im there, offer accepted on a house with an agricultural yard at the rear.
So, current owner mr kyle a friendly irishman who has various farm conctracting equipment has been running his business from there and council have confirmed that because i also do agri work (barns, slurry pits etc) that i can also work from the yard.

My kyle uses a fastrac and trailer to move his kit around, no o licence (probably wouldnt get one as road is curved taking away visability) He seems to think i could do the same, im not so sure.

What are the definitions? Can i move my machines around this way legally? What would a fastrac legally pull around? How much of that weight is trailer?

All replies appreciated
Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #2   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 16-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Jcb fastrac

Bloody hell Dan, talk about a can of worms. Light blue touchpaper and retire!

Simple answer, no, not without O-licence, tax and white diesel. Complicated answer- you'll probably get away with it, but for how long is anyone's guess.
  #3   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 16-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Knight of the East

Oh cmon doobs,
I really want a fastrac.

Under which circumstances can i use it? And lets say a restricted o licencse?

As an agri contractor which may be a new business, i can move my own kit to my own jobs right?

#4   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 16-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Diggers View Post
Oh cmon doobs,
I really want a fastrac.

Under which circumstances can i use it? And lets say a restricted o licencse?

As an agri contractor which may be a new business, i can move my own kit to my own jobs right?
Yup, just like every over 'agricultural' groundworks contractor. You might get away with it for years, saving yourself a fortune. You might also become a test case vs HMRC

Just wait till Eddie sees this thread
  #5   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 16-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Knight of the East

Lol, so there hasn't been a test case? Theres no doubt we go easy on agri industry.

Interested to know how far it can be pushed techincally especially as im about to have an agri yard.

#6   IP: 2.26.142.57
Old 16-07-2018, 02:56 PM

That's quite can of worms on all fronts, I have had the fastrac experience from the servicing/preparation point of view many years ago although only in Northern Ireland which has some differences in law from the rest of the uk but the basics are the same....About 15-20 years ago I did a lot of work on fastracs but there's none around here now which tells you what you need to know. If you want a fast tractor buy something conventional with a 50k box. It'll get you there reliably just as quick as a fastrac and will get you there when the fastrac is broke down which is often especially the older ones. Towing a digger legally here requires the machine to be PSV'd like a lorry and you need an HGV licence to drive it which is difficult but not impossible, however when you have it done you'd be better off with a lorry. It's a few years now since there was a 3185 legal locally for plant haulage but at that time it was only possible to do the models with the link steering not the hydrostatic steering models. Tyres are a problem area as they must be rated for the load and speed not agricultural spec and some lighting needed modifying along with reflective marker plates etc. We never got the trailer passed at all as it was totally non compliant. Another anomaly was at that time the test only passed the clevis drawbar not a pick up hitch. My advice go no where near it as converting an agricultural vehicle to commercial makes it more expensive to run than a proper lorry. Stick with an ordinary tractor and draw as little attention to yourself as possible and be prepared to sell it and get a lorry when the right plod stops you and fills two pages.

Last edited by Cartman; 16-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.
  #7   IP: 185.69.144.55
Old 16-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Provost and Judge

Building agri buildings is construction contracting not legal but repairing agri buildings is agri contracting so is alright i think
There are volumes on the british farming forum about it but general consensus is get a lorry
A grab lorry with bran doors and internal tie downs is a cracking piece of kit for ground work
However know of three blokes locally to you running fasttraks and several more running 50k tractors and none of them care
  #8   IP: 2.29.151.255
Old 16-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Elect of Fifteen

It Seems to be that you need to answer Plod with the right answer to the right question, so do your homework.
Fastrac has to be used on the job to do something, It cant deliver excavator then go back to get implement. It Has to be there first or on the trailer with excavator, and that's for agri work.
Can of worms, local lad got done for insurance licence and got points as well

Last edited by Cheggars; 16-07-2018 at 08:02 PM.
  #9   IP: 86.184.77.184
Old 16-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Dan, Get a written reference letter from Mr Kyle stating the period of time he has operated from there etc etc.

Agricultural contracting on its own makes the premises industrial ground should you ever be challenged. That is why our 3 acre site is Industrial. Started off in the 50's as a Agri Contractor's Yard etc.

As for tractors, fk it mate Apply for a O License.... not worth running your own tractor in the current climate....

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #10   IP: 109.146.190.216
Old 17-07-2018, 01:24 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

as said Dan ..... humongous can of worms

best left alone, especially as the law has changed VERY recently at the end of May and mr. plod/DVSA man will be totally up to speed on how / when / why he can confiscate your tractor, trailer and whatever is on it at the time .... and never give it back, aside from all the fines, etc.

Also as Rory says, get a 'statement of truth', witnessed by a solicitor from the yard's vendor, as part of the conveyance, referencing his business activities, etc., from the yard and stating a definite time period it has been carried on from there.

Glad you've found somewhere Boyo