The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#11   IP: 78.149.6.74
Old 17-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: Jcb fastrac

best left alone, especially as the law has changed VERY recently at the end of May and mr. plod/DVSA man will be totally up to speed on how / when / why he can confiscate your tractor, trailer and whatever is on it at the time .... and never give it back, aside from all the fines, etc.

What are the DVSA actually doing about it?

I get plenty of info on new or revised regulation regarding hgv. There is virtually nothing regarding the use of ag/tractor coming into my inbox?

If you call DVSA they find you a phone number to call which they know never gets answered.

Last edited by Mintsauce; 17-07-2018 at 08:18 PM.
  #12   IP: 78.149.6.74
Old 17-07-2018, 08:27 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

As for getting a fasttrack Dan I agree with getting a regular tractor. All the up to date kit kit round here is more than capable of filling the role you mentioned. And for proper ag work better than a fastrack from what I hear.
  #13   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 17-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Knight of the East

One step ahead boys, mr kyle has agreed to a declaration that he has been working from the yard for 16 years (his wife was on the parish council too rather interestingly so i doubt anyone could argue with her signature) my preference is that the yard stays as agri and avoids rates from being industrial. Council tell me my company qualify as agri so happy enough there.

So the fastrac is considered crap? What is considered good under 20k?

And if im correct a tractor and trailer unit on white taking a digger to a job that is agri, forestry and landscaping work and if the tractor is being used also (as a dumper i guess?) is legal?

One issue is that i dont think line of sight is good enough to the left to gain operators license.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #14   IP: 2.26.142.57
Old 17-07-2018, 10:36 PM

This rather messy business will no doubt be informing VOSA's approach to Fastracs, low loaders and diggers going forward.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...car-crash.html
  #15   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 17-07-2018, 11:54 PM
Knight of the East

Sad news that one.

#16   IP: 109.146.190.216
Old 18-07-2018, 01:00 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
What are the DVSA actually doing about it?
My guess is Minty, that as they're now self funding ..... they'll be keeping it all fairly low profile, in an attempt to confiscate as much gear as possible to fund their tea an' McVities habits eradicate the problem by eliminating the perpetrators ... systematically and quietly.
they ain't fools .... they'll know who takes the piss on their various patches and'll be happy to 'self fund' with their 'swag'
  #17   IP: 95.145.126.159
Old 18-07-2018, 12:28 PM

So the fastrac is considered crap? What is considered good under 20k?

Well taking note of your proposed budget there's no point in telling you to get the latest and greatest Fendt then. I would recommend a high horsepower McCormick MTX as they didn't hold their value well. For towing a digger you want a real heavy tractor. Another option to consider would be an older New Holland TM series or new Holland MXM series models 120- 155 .The 8360 New Hollands were good towers but are a bit long in the tooth now so not many good ones left. If you could find something with the optional air brake package that would be ideal as it avoids depending on the "fail dangerous" single line hydraulic trailer braking setup of most tractors.

https://farm.autotrader.co.uk/search...FeaturedDealer

As with all agey machines there can be niggles but the MTX is based on a good Case design, avoid the CX range of IH tractors as they're lightly built and not suitable for heavy work. sub 20K you have plenty of choice but need to pick something that parts are reasonable for in case it needs fixing down the line avoid oddballs that service and repairs are hard to obtain for.

This is a nice tractor for the money but at the light end for every day low loader work.

https://farm.autotrader.co.uk/search...0&searchPage=3

Money left for unforeseen things here:

https://farm.autotrader.co.uk/search...5&searchPage=1

Last edited by Cartman; 22-07-2018 at 06:58 AM.
  #18   IP: 5.71.110.181
Old 18-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Knight of the East

Thanks cartman, thats useful. Going to have to research the other side of the solution now too. Bloody operatrs licence.

#19   IP: 86.184.77.184
Old 18-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
best left alone, especially as the law has changed VERY recently at the end of May and mr. plod/DVSA man will be totally up to speed on how / when / why he can confiscate your tractor, trailer and whatever is on it at the time .... and never give it back, aside from all the fines, etc.
Biggest thing is that tractors Aren't cost effective unless daddy is putting the fuel in....

Get HGV, nice 18t Beavertail... Sorted.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #20   IP: 86.177.102.191
Old 18-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Perfect Master

I run a 150hp 50K tractor, pull a low loader to move my digger as well as use it for forestry work (mulcher, forwarder etc). It is very expensive to run when used for road work - Iím running on white just in case Iím pulled as my thoughts are that it is one less thing they can argue over. The road eats tyres (and they cost £5k for a set!) and at 50k it is running at maximum revs so it drinks diesel too, whatever the colour and legalities...
Iím going to get a wagon soon to use alongside it as it will save me a fortune in reality. There are obviously things the tractor does that canít be replaced in my business so I will always have one, but using it for moving stuff (including itself!) any distance on the road isnít really economically viable IME.