The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 86.135.202.255
Old 18-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Default building of the m1 on tv

did anyone watch programme about m1 being built? what struck me was how quick it was built. something like 50 miles of road completed in just over a year I think it said. then they went onto say how long it took to put an extra lane on some motorway( I cant remember exactly which) a few years ago about 5 miles ( again someone will give exact details im sure) and it took 3 years! what the f ..k is going on? did we work harder years ago? 7 days a week 12 hours a day? used our common sense instead of method statements? I don't think there was any fatalities on the m1 build( correct me if im wrong) I did a bit of work for costain at Hendon on a d4 with vibrating roller early 70 and from what I remember we all just got on with it with no big fuss or drama.
  #2   IP: 92.24.179.156
Old 19-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Provost and Judge

Default Re: building of the m1 on tv

Disn't see it but would have liked to
The thing is too the reason it went down so quick because there was a lot less eco warriors and tree huggers around
Always amazes me with the ggreat crested newts, which are supposed to be so rare,well if that is the case why is it the little buggers always turn up on a construction site.
no matter where you want to build there may be a newt.So how rare are these things????
Don't start me on water voles!!!
  #3   IP: 109.146.190.205
Old 19-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by robex 210 View Post
The thing is too the reason it went down so quick because there was a lot less eco warriors and tree huggers around
Always amazes me with the ggreat crested newts, which are supposed to be so rare,well if that is the case why is it the little buggers always turn up on a construction site.
no matter where you want to build there may be a newt.So how rare are these things????
very true Boyo .... anything and everything seems to have that issue round here too .... 'Praps the buggers read the planning Portal and local planning approvals lists .... then move in
  #4   IP: 86.145.153.64
Old 20-08-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robex 210 View Post
yep. apparently there was little opposition to it being built infact by what I watched on the programme most people welcomed it. some great shots of scrapers making the muck move. all down to paddy power. now have I offended any body?