The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Vintage & Classic Equipment

#11   IP: 195.93.21.72
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: TD 15C, IH & Dresser.

Hi Ian, The torque convertor assembly was off and the tarp rotted allowing the flywheel to rust. I tried to turn the flywheel with a breaker bar and achieved nothing but moving the bolts. Tried to turn it with a pry bar on the ring gear but nothing doing.
We took the flywheel off and gave it the wire brush treatment as with the housing. Whilst the flywheel was off i took all the wiring off the starter and cleaned the terminals, connected up the batteries and away went the starter much to our amazement, stood unused in the weather for some fourteen years we reckon. We refitted the flywheel and I used the bare end of the solenoid feed to activate the starter. It fired into the flywheel and the engine did turn a fraction. I carried on with this for about an hour on and off.
I poured a gallon of diesel down the stack and left it over night. Monday we had another go. I pressured up the oil system with an enerpac pump, we canged the engine oil and filters and filled the cooling system.
By Monday night i had burnt out the solenoid contacts on the starter, so we stripped it down and i cleaned and dressed the contacts.
Before we went home another gallon of diesel down the exhaust.
Next morning we dragged out the batteries and carried on flicking the starter.
After flattening the batteries we got a couple of bigger ones of an A30 dumptruck, another few longer cranks and away she went spinning round until we got the oil pressure reading on the gauge. We did drain the water and fuel out from the sump first thing tho'.
Connected up a drum to the primer pump and a fitting and garden hose for the leak off back to the tank. A ferw more spins and she fired up and shot out all the shit and fuel......Has run at about fifteen hundred rpm for 4hrs.
Minimal crankcase pressure and little or no smoke. Amazing after that length of time.......D5B Today.......

Before tr

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 02-02-2011 at 10:56 AM.
  #12   IP: 195.93.21.72
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Daz the TD 15 is a bloody lovely machine to operate. Spares would be the problem if we used it too often, so i am not sure whether we will or not.
At 1986 i think it was the last 15C into the country.
The D65PX is subject of action at the momment. If we have to go legal in the next twoo weeks the claim value will be a quarter mill for a start figure.
It would appear at present our knowledge is far superior to that of many ignorant persons within the two Komatsu organisations.
We shall see.
  #13   IP: 88.104.135.59
Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Trax How many Dresser Branded ones were built as they only made them for a couple of years then if its 86 But were they identical to the old IH TD 15C and just badged as Dresser ?

Think you should take it out to play at sone of the working days as a bit of Compertion for Walkers Big IH and all the Cats

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #14   IP: 95.149.42.122
Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Grand Master Architect

Location: if my partner had her way down the field with bigdog

carefull dave you used the w word,trax wont like it
  #15   IP: 95.144.195.132
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

I do prefer the old gear (Much to the disgust of my previous boss who was convinced I'd grow out of driving the older machines). I know for a fact the older equipment takes more skill to operate. I can just about work the old
450A backhoe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #16   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM

YES DAVE !!!!!! We'd rather not use that word here thankyou....

Dave i am not sure how many Dresser tractors were manufactured. The first were from the states but Dressta took over in Poland. I have seen none other than ours and we are it's 2nd owner. There are certain modifications that have been on going throughout the manufacture, not least of which was the engine. Personaly i think the DT 466 is a good engine, ours, or at least the newer machine is a C series. They do, however, need looking after and the oil changed when it should be.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 02-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
  #17   IP: 94.11.113.253
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Daz the TD 15 is a bloody lovely machine to operate. Spares would be the problem if we used it too often, so i am not sure whether we will or not.
At 1986 i think it was the last 15C into the country.
The D65PX is subject of action at the momment. If we have to go legal in the next twoo weeks the claim value will be a quarter mill for a start figure.
It would appear at present our knowledge is far superior to that of many ignorant persons within the two Komatsu organisations.
We shall see.
In my opinion the TD15 and 175 were the best machines that IH made ,the ba ck end of them were very nearly bullet proof.
The engines of the first C series machines were a bit suspect as they had a habit of throwing No2 or No5 con rods out the side of the block.
Once this was rectified they were pretty reliable bits of kit
  #18   IP: 95.149.42.122
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Grand Master Architect

Location: if my partner had her way down the field with bigdog

i stand to be corected here but wasnt it the b series that did that,i had a 175b turn up on site that had been brought in from germany in 87,it was absolutly mint been maintained regardless of cost i should think,it did a couple of days work then threw a leg outone of my 15s has a rotary injection pump the others have inline i noticed the other day,must take the serial nos and age them
  #19   IP: 195.93.21.69
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM

We had the D5B running today.....i will post some piccies tomorrow.
Went through all the procedures again. Water still in system C/W antifreeze.
Engine oil ok drained a little and no water found. Fuel pipe taken off and blown out. Hydraulic tank drained a little water out too. A little water in the transmission drained. The steering clutches were taken out by us a good few years ago in order thatr we could replace the pinion seals as the final drives were making oil and leaking through the duo cones.
Any way now power from the heat start switch for a while so old screw driver was used to power the solenoid. Eventualy the switch began to work and after reconecting the Glow plug harness we got the engine to start. No increase in speed, found the throttle linage siezed and the governor arm was not then locating excess fuel or high revs. OIl and a tap with the fixit tool soon sorted that. I will have to track her tomorrow so i will gain some more piccies. D3B to fire up tomorrow, no trans in her as torque convertor chewed up splines in turbine. Have bramd new bolt together type convertor from Caterpillar. We are thinking of taking on a trainee fitter.....boy will he be dropped in at the deep end....
  #20   IP: 95.144.195.132
Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
We are thinking of taking on a trainee fitter.....boy will he be dropped in at the deep end....
Poor fella, At least pay him properly. and let him have a laugh.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."