The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Vintage & Classic Equipment

#11   IP: 95.148.190.21
Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Perfect Master

Default Re: Priestman Beaver

Yes mine did have dog clutch steering, you had to feather the f/r expander clutches lever after a steering event in case they had not fully lined up. Actually it was not too hard work to drive, as being Priestman it would have had accelerator clutches on the stub shafts, levers were all long. I was using it as a mass excavator working a 4ft face below track level, tracks end on, digging away 'darylea cheese' type sectors, could usually move between lorries to clean up the face. The 30 ins bucket dug into the tough tile / clay pipe waste OK. They had tried a manual Drott loading this stuff - he burnt out his clutch there. So the hydraulic arm was much better at prying it out. I had not much to compare it with then, effort wise, easier to drive than the D4 but not quite so nice as the 125B I had driven under instruction. Was my first real outside job on my own, I had to put each lorry Reg No. into a book with the time each time I filled it. Stuff was free - charge was just for loading. People more trusting then.

I did once see one of these for sale like mine but with all the winch drums (not just stub shafts) as well as the fitted hydraulic arm, & a spare jib to use it as a crane. Changeovers would not have been quick because of all the hoses to cap / connect.

Regarding the pictured machine the tracks are the 24'' wide shoe option, these tracks do not look too bad & are not sagging on max adjustment, as often seen on old crawlers. I did know of an unused conventional Cub lying at 'Jackfield Cars & Commercials' near me - perhaps a source of parts for the mech side if anyone restored this.
  #12   IP: 81.129.193.98
Old 21-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Priestman Beaver

so Aiden ....... have you bought it yet