The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Events

#51   IP: 78.147.4.60
Old 04-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: Engcon Big Dig Day - Saturday 3rd March 2018

Not sure which control system would be best for a canopy type machine so am interested to hear what others think.
  #52   IP: 31.49.236.94
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
If one of you clever chaps have the time, Iíd be interested to know exactly how I should spec a Cat 301.7D to handle a tilty+grab? Iíve asked for a price for one with two proportional auxiliaries, but howís the grab going to work? I donít think the (I dare hardly use the phrase) all singing, all dancing control systems is an option for me; this will be a canopy machine for one, and Iím not keen on fancy electronics anyway, even if it was a possibility.

It seems only Engcon make a small enough tilty, and even direct mounted Iím guessing Iíd be needing the shorter dipper option. I donít know if a hydraulic q/h under the tilty might be a tad gay on such a small machine, but how good is the mechanical version at keeping things tight? Iíve only had experience of one mechanical q/h (jcb) and Iím not particularly impressed: by contrast, my hydraulic Geith on the BL71 holds things nice and tight.

Anything else I should consider?

P.S. Just realised, I should have probably put this in a different section.
The way I understand it, if youíve got two prop services, then you donít need an operating system. But you will need a means of changing the service from tilt to grab, basically a button you push to select the grab and then operate it with the tilt roller.
Only compromise is, you will not be able to tilt and grab at the same time.

This is, I think, the sort of setup Iíd go for, personally.

On the hitch front, the small manual S Type hitches were quite an impressive bit of kit, but how they fair long term, with wear ect, I couldnít say? But they were a very neat design.
  #53   IP: 85.211.138.113
Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Master Elect of Nine

just seen this pop on covell constructions facebook page not sure if that is what shovelhands was talking about says there also going to be a engcon unit there as well

We are pleased to announce that we shall be attending Induct’s opening day with our JCB 67c-1 fitted with our X07 Steelwrist UK. If you would like to come and have ago and try it out, please do.

Sat 10th March 10.30am
Induct EA
Meteor close
Norwich
NR6 6HG

i will most probably pop along as it is only 5 mins from my house for a change

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #54   IP: 86.159.70.47
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Harford wedge lock keeps things lovely and tight. You just need a half drive ratchet to change over buckets or nip it up a bit if you think your attachment has come a little loose. I presumed you were talking about for a top hitch there?
Bottom hitch on the tilty:I believe Engcon do manual and hydraulic, but Iíve no idea how the manual works.
  #55   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
If one of you clever chaps have the time, I’d be interested to know exactly how I should spec a Cat 301.7D to handle a tilty+grab? I’ve asked for a price for one with two proportional auxiliaries, but how’s the grab going to work? I don’t think the (I dare hardly use the phrase) all singing, all dancing control systems is an option for me; this will be a canopy machine for one, and I’m not keen on fancy electronics anyway, even if it was a possibility.
Similar to the Exac-One setup, Pond Digger. The LH Joystick controls the rotation and the RH defaults to the tilt function, but there is an IP-rated button which switches the RH function through the tilt to Aux 1 (gripper, if available) then Aux 2 (grab, compactor etc) and back to tilt. If you don't have a separate hitch line then the automatic quick hitch is included in this sequence (or go for a mechanical hitch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Not sure which control system would be best for a canopy type machine so am interested to hear what others think.
Depends on the level of functionality you require and the hydraulic sophistication of the digger. If you just want tilt and rotate and have two proportional circuits then get a basic EC02/204/206 and plug it directly into the tilty, and away you go. If you've only one circuit then we fit joysticks with buttons (as per the U25 at the Dig Day) and you feed in the flow with the pedal. Beware, though - this system cannot be upgraded easily, but the good news is that I will take it in as a trade-in for a higher-spec model when you want to change it

There is another alternative which gives you extra functions (again, on buttons, with the flow controlled by the foot pedal) and all functions are available simultaneously. This costs a bit more, natch.

Quote:
Bottom hitch on the tilty:I believe Engcon do manual and hydraulic, but I’ve no idea how the manual works.
See the pic attached

There is a spring loaded bottom jaw which latches back and is released when the front axle touches the trigger in the centre of the photograph. A detachable handle is used to pull the jaw back. You can see the latch and springs from the underside with the cover removed.

HTH

regards

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man Hitch underside.jpg (52.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by EngconUK; 05-03-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: The base plate has been removed to show the mechanism
  #56   IP: 86.159.70.47
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Thanks Robert.
  #57   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 05-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
The way I understand it, if youíve got two prop services, then you donít need an operating system. But you will need a means of changing the service from tilt to grab, basically a button you push to select the grab and then operate it with the tilt roller.
Only compromise is, you will not be able to tilt and grab at the same time
Sorry - I missed this earlier

Technically you do need an operating system to do this, albeit a simple one. It's a system which latches through (on the RH Joystick) the tilt -> Aux1 -> Aux2 -> hitch -> tilt functions. We call it SS9, but it's also known as the 4 hose solution (or 6 hose if you have a separate hitch circuit).

If you only want tilt and rotate, then you don't need an OS and it's quite a bit cheaper.

regards

Robert
  #58   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 05-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
I'd go for a tilty on my minis but I'd need the boggo basic set up so I can swap between machines. Everyone has come up with the answer that I'd swap machines between jobs and have it on one machine only, but that does not work for me at all.
We're seeing quite a bit of this ATM. John Clark, based up in the Wirrall has a couple of Takeuchis - a one tonner and a TB016. He has both fitted with an S30 mechanical hitch and swaps the tilty between the two (he's running the predecessor to the U25 setup at the Dig Day - flow rate and direction controlled by the pedal and a momentary button on the joystick to switch between tilt and rotate, although he wants to upgrade to the four button setup now we've had it CE approved).

Pretty much everything is possible, depending on your digger and what you want to do with it. Oh, and your budget

regards

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1655R.jpg (64.5 KB, 36 views)
  #59   IP: 94.197.139.192
Old 05-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngconUK View Post
We're seeing quite a bit of this ATM. John Clark, based up in the Wirrall has a couple of Takeuchis - a one tonner and a TB016. He has both fitted with an S30 mechanical hitch and swaps the tilty between the two (he's running the predecessor to the U25 setup at the Dig Day - flow rate and direction controlled by the pedal and a momentary button on the joystick to switch between tilt and rotate, although he wants to upgrade to the four button setup now we've had it CE approved).

Pretty much everything is possible, depending on your digger and what you want to do with it. Oh, and your budget

regards

Robert
I've heard it all now, a tilty on a micro?
  #60   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 05-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
I've heard it all now, a tilty on a micro?
Technically, it's half a tilty on a micro

Why not The latest edition of Earthmovers (April 2018) has quite a splash on Tilty (of all hues)

regards

Robert