The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Links

#31   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 13-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Re: Wey and Arun Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Hi Rob...From where the new lock is dammed The stretch of canal to the first invisable lock's lowerbank, towpath side seems very steep, the trees are mainly nothing but Hawthorne elder and Scrub so would it not be possible to grub this out and then sit a 20 tonne long reach (15M) Max. On the towpath and cast the dregdgings down the bank and shape it to a shallower gradient. ?
First I have to make sure we are both in the same area.
The NEW LOCK is the one at the road by the pub, I dont believe you mean this one.
Devils Hole Lock or DHL as we call it is the one we are working on and the one I think you refer to.
The non visible, next lock is Southlands.

To be quite honest the bit from DHL to Southlands has not been given a lot of consideration ( on my part ) as it is in the future ( 2010 ) and not a priority at this time from my personal point of view.
You probably saw the power box halfway between these two locks and the fact that we had trenched back to DHL with a power supply.
That said, you are quite correct in your analaysis of the towpath, batter and trees but I am not aware/up to speed on what the landowners position is along this section. The one thing I do know is that the river comes in very close, especially under the second set of power cables and the area is I believe considered a flood plain with the associated problems that come with the EA.
The upheaval to the towpath that you will have been aware of as you got closer to Southlands is where a culvert crosses under the canal. The old one is being replaced with a 450mm (?) new one that is 2/3rds completed. This has been undertaken by visiting groups of volunteers

http://www.nwpg.org.uk/default.htm

http://www.dig-deep.org.uk/

The work including headwalls is planned for completion during visits later this year.

The plan is to have the trip boats operational to DHL following a Grand Opening of the next section ( New Lock to DHL ) in May 2010.

All I have to do is clean out that section and loose the muck in 3 months ........................but only working Sundays .........................shit !!!!! HELPPPPPPPPPPPP !

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #32   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 13-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

OI !! you two, ...................I've been busy here trying to put in to words a sensible answer for a gentleman who was intrested enough to make a multi mile round trip, (without a feed I hasten to add) journey while all you can do is take the piss

Its a British thing isnt it...................Be honest,..............those Yanks just dont get it do they

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #33   IP: 195.93.21.10
Old 13-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Rob, yes sorry i meant the stretch from the roadside lock to the devils hole lock. Also before you get to Devils hole lock there is a large opening on the far side, could this not be a dumping area ? Is the base and sides of the canal lined with clay ? Also does the canal rise higher between the Arun and Wey levels ? Would i be right in assuming that the canal is 24 miles in length ?
  #34   IP: 95.149.42.219
Old 13-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Grand Master Architect

Location: if my partner had her way down the field with bigdog

rob you had better get a couple more machines and a couple of piss takers to squable over who has dug the most out and done the best job
  #35   IP: 79.74.36.164
Old 13-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Sounds an interesting projec you have on the go there Rob.

Bit like the Chesterfield canal one near me that has been on the go for 30 + years. They have a major problem were the Norwood tunnel colapse occured ( which killed it off commercialy) and near by as the route now has houses on it.

They have reinstated several sections with new locks and bridges built as part of local raod and development schemes part funded by the councils and waterways board. A new terminous is being built at Chesterfield as part of a 300 million riverside development to replace the old wharf which disapearred about a 100 years ago or more. A new lock and bridges have being built as part of the new Staveley by pass / M1 J 29A link and the canal trust now have to reinstate the route between the new structures and carry on towards the old Norwood tunnel site. The route from the River Trent end stops near the other end of the collapsed tunnel and is navigable from Kiveton near Worksop to the junction with the river Trent. The Old section from Chesterfield towards Stavely is navigable by the trusts own trip boat through a section that was completley destroyed by open casting works in the 1980s but was latter reinstaed with the old locks and some new ones built.

Dave

#36   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 13-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
i meant the stretch from the roadside lock to the devils hole lock. Also before you get to Devils hole lock there is a large opening on the far side, could this not be a dumping area ? Is the base and sides of the canal lined with clay ? Also does the canal rise higher between the Arun and Wey levels ? Would i be right in assuming that the canal is 24 miles in length ?
Hey, NO PROBLEM

Always best to know you are talking about the same thing

We are VERY lucky in having an understanding and intrested landowner in that section.
The area ( as you suggest ) behind the new winding hole is what I intend to use as a landscape area, reduce an area, using the spoil as bunds, the resulting excavation to be used as a dumping area for the silt between the road and DHL. That area is in fact part of the original river course and forms an ox-bow. That is to be enhanced as a wet land / resevoir /top up area ............ how many Sundays between now and May

We believe the canal to be well lined but suffering from many years of neglect and invasion by trees and their roots, so in answer to your unasked question, hopefully little waterproofing/sealing will be required.

Between Loxwood (DHL) and the summit at Dunsfold there are I believe 10, yes TEN locks to rebuild. What is beyond there to Bramley I really dont know.
Dunsfold is the highest point and used to be fed from an enlarged ( following construction of the original canal) pond/resevoir called Vachery Pond

http://www.canalnavigations.co.uk/weyarun/wyarunF.html

This no longer seems a viable source of water for the canal which is why we build back pumps into all the locks.

I am ashamed to say I really dont know how long the canal is. In my defence ...........I'm just a digger driver

#37   IP: 195.93.21.10
Old 13-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Unfortunately for themselves, Germans, are totaly devoid of Humour !!
  #38   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 13-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerhayne View Post
rob you had better get a couple more machines and a couple of piss takers to squable over who has dug the most out and done the best job
I think there will be more than enough leg pulling, wind ups and piss taking going on here without me having to fork out for anymore machines

#39   IP: 195.93.21.10
Old 13-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Rob thankyou for your replies, Oh and you're far from a digger driver so you can't use that old chestnut mate. The Kennet and Avon canal still uses a big old steam pump for refilling the balancing pond. Has the project been awarded any money from the lottery fund ?
  #40   IP: 90.193.135.221
Old 13-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldozerD11 View Post
Sounds an interesting projec you have on the go there Rob.
Thanks for your intrest Dave.

I am ashamed to say I got involved more due to my intrest in plant and being able to DO SOMETHING constructive on a Sunday instead of festering at home getting bored, rather than having a serious interest in canals, though that interest is growing as I learn more and more from the guys there and likes of yourself and your posts.

That said my input obviously helps those that have a serious and dedicated intrest in the canals in our country but I wont be suprised if they get pissed off with the interferring digger driver and tell him to *uck off one day.

Last edited by AtlasRob; 13-02-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling