The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6031   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 13-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
I know I know.

I've deviated from Toyota many a time and they are the only ones on fleet that I don't touch and don't worry about giving hard work to.

I've got a jeep at the moment and it's giving me a head scratcher in the gearbox dept. Good job the hiluxs keep the show on the road.
I very nearly bought a 4.2 Jeep Grand Cherokee when they first started flogging 'em over here ..... advertised on the back of National Geographic for IIRC £18k.

Seemed a hell of a tool for the money, at the time and a lot better value than the Disco was .... at virtually the same price

Be interesting to know which one'd have still been performing, had I done so ??

I think my money'd be on the disco though
  #6032   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 13-01-2018, 07:47 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

been a bit of a 'mystery parcel' day today

Posty arrived lunchtime and i'm stood thinking WTF have I bought off ebay now.

could not recall anything

'Swhat you call a packing job !!

Pix of the contents to follow on this one... had no idea it was winging its way here!

this one however, wasn't so unexpected ..... once I'd opened it and realised what it was !!

A few will recognise it !
  #6033   IP: 81.147.100.200
Old 13-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I very nearly bought a 4.2 Jeep Grand Cherokee when they first started flogging 'em over here ..... advertised on the back of National Geographic for IIRC £18k.

Seemed a hell of a tool for the money, at the time and a lot better value than the Disco was .... at virtually the same price

Be interesting to know which one'd have still been performing, had I done so ??

I think my money'd be on the disco though
All been well I've sussed it this aft. I'm sure 2.9t on the tow bar will soon tell me if its good or not.

We have had hilux for many years and I can't see me not having them as they really do not give me any trouble at all. The 97 lux has just had some money spent on new bushes and it was only because they had perished due to age and bar the old 03 plate having a dodgey maf sensor I've not spent a bean on them bar the 6k oil changes, brake pads and tyres.
  #6034   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 13-01-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
All been well I've sussed it this aft. I'm sure 2.9t on the tow bar will soon tell me if its good or not.

We have had hilux for many years and I can't see me not having them as they really do not give me any trouble at all. The 97 lux has just had some money spent on new bushes and it was only because they had perished due to age and bar the old 03 plate having a dodgey maf sensor I've not spent a bean on them bar the 6k oil changes, brake pads and tyres.
Was amazed the other night at just how cheap MAFs were for rangeys / landys on Flea bay .... used to be horrendous prices ... I was shocked !!

The old Hiluxs have always been damned good trucks though Wouldn't hesitate to run one.
  #6035   IP: 92.9.169.133
Old 14-01-2018, 01:52 AM
Master Elect of Nine

Just put our 1984 landcruiser through mot cost me 2 quid for a bulb not bad going for 34 year old motor
  #6036   IP: 206.45.236.107
Old 14-01-2018, 04:23 AM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Was amazed the other night at just how cheap MAFs were for rangeys / landys on Flea bay .... used to be horrendous prices ... I was shocked !!

The old Hiluxs have always been damned good trucks though Wouldn't hesitate to run one.
I wish they would sell Hilux's here you can import them but I've never been a fan of right hand drive in a country built for left hand drive the blind spot could be dangerous. Does anybody have a Landcruiser or something similar (can't remember all the models) with V8 diesel here?
  #6037   IP: 121.44.5.77
Old 14-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Provost and Judge

In Australia Toyota Hilux's are the biggest selling vehicle in the country bar none! They sell more Hilux's here than any model of car, SUV etc.

Hilux's are the benchmark for reliability, all round performance and you can get parts anywhere in the country including the outback. Even old Hilux's with over 400,000km on the clock attract good money and the range of mods, accessories etc from third parties is massive.

On the other hand the record for unreliable vehicles in Australia is held by Land Rover followed by Jeep. Needless to say these vehicles can be found on Gumtree selling for peanuts compared to the Hilux.
Needless to say I have been a Hilux owner for the last 15 years and have a couple of other Toyota's as well including a Hino truck. I can vouch for their toughness & reliability and I often use my Toyota Echo as a heavy equipment service vehicle due to it's toughness, reliability, economy and it's so light it rarely gets stuck, and if it does it's easy to debog.

Generally owners of Range Rovers and Jeeps in Australia are collectively called wankers. No offence meant guys Their owners are suburban types from better off suburbs and they use their vehicles for shopping and picking up the kids from school. No one dares take them off road or more than 50km from their respective dealership/service centre. When they do give trouble it can take weeks to diagnose/repair/get parts or give up and put it on Gumtree for parts. If you have these vehicles in the UK it would be wise to sell before the word gets out and they are worth only scrap. (There can be plenty of aluminium in some of the Land Rover vehicles so they are worth a bit for scrap)

AusDave
  #6038   IP: 86.153.0.166
Old 14-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Knight of the East and West

I think all these 4x4’s have gone a bit soft and girly; including the Hilux. I’d like to see less plastic, less styling, and more rugged and repairable design.
  #6039   IP: 92.28.204.31
Old 14-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDave View Post
In Australia Toyota Hilux's are the biggest selling vehicle in the country bar none! They sell more Hilux's here than any model of car, SUV etc.

Hilux's are the benchmark for reliability, all round performance and you can get parts anywhere in the country including the outback. Even old Hilux's with over 400,000km on the clock attract good money and the range of mods, accessories etc from third parties is massive.

On the other hand the record for unreliable vehicles in Australia is held by Land Rover followed by Jeep. Needless to say these vehicles can be found on Gumtree selling for peanuts compared to the Hilux.
Needless to say I have been a Hilux owner for the last 15 years and have a couple of other Toyota's as well including a Hino truck. I can vouch for their toughness & reliability and I often use my Toyota Echo as a heavy equipment service vehicle due to it's toughness, reliability, economy and it's so light it rarely gets stuck, and if it does it's easy to debog.

Generally owners of Range Rovers and Jeeps in Australia are collectively called wankers. No offence meant guys Their owners are suburban types from better off suburbs and they use their vehicles for shopping and picking up the kids from school. No one dares take them off road or more than 50km from their respective dealership/service centre. When they do give trouble it can take weeks to diagnose/repair/get parts or give up and put it on Gumtree for parts. If you have these vehicles in the UK it would be wise to sell before the word gets out and they are worth only scrap. (There can be plenty of aluminium in some of the Land Rover vehicles so they are worth a bit for scrap)

AusDave
And here endeth the 1st lesson.

its nothing personal they're just wankers, right?
  #6040   IP: 81.129.58.150
Old 14-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Perfect Master

I ran a Toyota Dyna tipper with the 2.5l Hilux engine in it for a number of years and it certainly wasn’t without its faults (almost all electronic, and therefore horrendously expensive). It had a fuel pump fault that cost £1000 to repair, and twice there was an EDU (like an ECU apparently - I’d never heard of them before) fault that cost the thick end of a grand to sort first time around. Electric windows stopped working (switch units were hundreds of pounds), the heater controls stopped working - it definitely wasn’t the amazingly reliable vehicle I expected. It did carry weight well though, and nothing mechanical broke to be fair (other than leaf springs).