The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 86.23.81.187
Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Default JCB714 or Hydrema 910/912

Hi
Im looking for a muck shifter for soft ground. Does anyone have experience or opinions on the above machines please. Im talking second hand here 1990's.

Cheers
  #2   IP: 92.16.174.28
Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: JCB714 or Hydrema 910/912

Have you thought about a tracked dumper PD? Might be more suited to your needs on soft ground?

Ashley.
  #3   IP: 87.242.149.176
Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Perfect Master

We use a JCB 714 and seems to cope very well with soft ground, actually overcomes my prejudice against JCB machines as it (touch wood) hasn't broken down Although it is a 2008 machine so about 10 years newer than the ones your looking at and not sure I'd be so happy with a 15 year old one. Have you tried looking at the Volvos they seem to age better?

Quick note about the tracked dumper, they are very high on the overheads due to the cost of the tracks (about another 1/3 on top of normal overheads) and only really suited for small A to B trips. If going over a longer distance a dump truck will really show it up on speed of round trips.

Last edited by Mike11; 10-12-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: my inability to spell
  #4   IP: 86.23.81.187
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post
We use a JCB 714 and seems to cope very well with soft ground, actually overcomes my prejudice against JCB machines as it (touch wood) hasn't broken down Although it is a 2008 machine so about 10 years newer than the ones your looking at and not sure I'd be so happy with a 15 year old one. Have you tried looking at the Volvos they seem to age better?

Quick note about the tracked dumper, they are very high on the overheads due to the cost of the tracks (about another 1/3 on top of normal overheads) and only really suited for small A to B trips. If going over a longer distance a dump truck will really show it up on speed of round trips.
Thanks Mike
I had thought about a Volvo A25c on flotation tyres but I'm thinking that could get very expensive (the tyres that is). Do they make anything smaller?

I dont think I need to go down the track route but we'll see.

Machine age doesn't worry me too much, I use an 89 3cx, 89 Jcb 814s and a 1976 MF135, all very reliable. I hate bloody computers
  #5   IP: 93.186.31.236
Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Knight of the East and West

Hi Pond Digger,
I have considerable experience with both in various applications, and like Mike I can confirm that the JCB 714 is a really great tool and has the Hydrema beat in many applications.
The main benefit of the 714 is the Skip, it's better shaped and holds considerably more material than the Hydrema.
The Fastrac cab is a good place to spend the day and they perform very well with the big Nokkian tyres helping things along.

Hydremas are superbly built, lovely to drive and without any doubt have the edge when the going gets tough.
However, they just don't carry anything and in hire situations work out stupidly expensive.
I've found just getting a break in the weather and putting a couple of 9/10 tonne dumpers and drivers on the job and keeping loads small probably more cost effective.
Big guys like Hewden will do a couple of dumpers handy money and drivers are usually a bit cheaper too.

Incidently, I always come accross the bright sparks who take one look at the Hydrema or JCB and declare that Tractors and Dump Trailers would be a far better option, but trust me they turn up and try to run alongside a few dumpers and they are a complete nightmare!
Dump trailers have their place, but when conditions require Hydremas or 714's then they are generally of little use and cause considerable mess whilst continually getting bogged.

As for an A25c, not enough praise could ever be given to them, a legend and still a great truck that I would choose over just about anything.
However for bad going it's just not going to happen no matter what tyres you're thinking of getting on it.

There's only one for when it's bad and that's the Tracked dumper, on a short haul they are awesome and good operators can form bunds, spread topsoil etc so that very little finishing work is required.
Tracks are not as scary as some think, but sprockets and rollers can be eye watering!
No substitute however and the big rotating models offer some serious muck shifting ability.

Great to hear you have an 814, is it a grey cab being 89? it would be great to see a couple of pics as I really rate them.

Eddie.
  #6   IP: 86.23.81.187
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebackblade View Post
Hi Pond Digger,
I have considerable experience with both in various applications, and like Mike I can confirm that the JCB 714 is a really great tool and has the Hydrema beat in many applications.
The main benefit of the 714 is the Skip, it's better shaped and holds considerably more material than the Hydrema.
The Fastrac cab is a good place to spend the day and they perform very well with the big Nokkian tyres helping things along.

Hydremas are superbly built, lovely to drive and without any doubt have the edge when the going gets tough.
However, they just don't carry anything and in hire situations work out stupidly expensive.
I've found just getting a break in the weather and putting a couple of 9/10 tonne dumpers and drivers on the job and keeping loads small probably more cost effective.
Big guys like Hewden will do a couple of dumpers handy money and drivers are usually a bit cheaper too.

Incidently, I always come accross the bright sparks who take one look at the Hydrema or JCB and declare that Tractors and Dump Trailers would be a far better option, but trust me they turn up and try to run alongside a few dumpers and they are a complete nightmare!
Dump trailers have their place, but when conditions require Hydremas or 714's then they are generally of little use and cause considerable mess whilst continually getting bogged.

As for an A25c, not enough praise could ever be given to them, a legend and still a great truck that I would choose over just about anything.
However for bad going it's just not going to happen no matter what tyres you're thinking of getting on it.

There's only one for when it's bad and that's the Tracked dumper, on a short haul they are awesome and good operators can form bunds, spread topsoil etc so that very little finishing work is required.
Tracks are not as scary as some think, but sprockets and rollers can be eye watering!
No substitute however and the big rotating models offer some serious muck shifting ability.

Great to hear you have an 814, is it a grey cab being 89? it would be great to see a couple of pics as I really rate them.

Eddie.
Thanks Eddie, thats just the info I need. I think i'll be looking for a 714.

Yes 814 is a greycab, still a good machine but needs retracking at mo. I will try to post pics at some point.

Cheers
  #7   IP: 89.243.169.135
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Knight of the East

hi pond digger don't underestimate the volvo 860/861 trucks me and leaky bought a couple a few years back very cheap! one has bald but quite wide tyres will go almost anywhere but a bit slippery on wet clay the other is on quite narrow boots but good tread but does cut the ground a bit but still keeps going

last picture shows rear tyres and suspension
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flint 490.jpg (92.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg flint 732.jpg (91.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg flint 733.jpg (87.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg flint 547.jpg (32.7 KB, 16 views)

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #8   IP: 93.186.31.238
Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM

Them old Volvo's are good Mogman, usually handy money and the bonus is if you kill it then cut the front off and make a dump trailer.
However in applications that have you thinking of either a 714 or Hydrema, then any big ADT would be out of the picture in reality.
It's sometimes puzzling to watch people ploughing up huge areas and creating massive ruts accross several fields of haul roads only to have to tidy all the mess up after.
Sometimes using a few 714's will get the material to exactly where it's required and a little thought from drivers will see fields virtually unmarked.

Never beat the Tracked dumper short haul though.

Eddie.
  #9   IP: 195.93.21.35
Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Eddie Hi hope all is well,
The hydrema with Trelleborg LGP tyres is pretty good. A ten ton truck. 910.
The Jcb will hold more as it is a 12 tonne truck. 912.
We run A25C trucks with 750..65..25 tyres, now they are low ground pressure....
  #10   IP: 93.186.31.239
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Hi Trax, hope you are well and keeping busy.
I'm with you on the numbers obviously, but real world the Hydrema is a hopeless load carrier and you will get little more than a well heaped 6 tonne dumper despite having an extortionate self drive hire rate compared to the JCB.
They are way better in real bad going though and the closest but still miles apart from a Tracked Dumper.

Who can name the Thwaites? Was it a TD12 with a rear steer axle?
I know they did the early 'Giant' and bigger 'Goliath' but they did a later one that I think was a TD12 that I spent a few months on a site with.
It really was a great bit of kit and I spent weeks loading slop that was scraped up around a huge site into it with a 320b.

It's coming back slowly! Yes it was a rear steer axle and rigid chassis.

Eddie