The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#21   IP: 95.148.4.238
Old 27-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Intimate Secretary

Default Re: JCB Mini Digger track/drive problem

Pedro,
Nothing was meant by my last comment other than you can understand why dealers dont bend over backwards to help people do what they do for free. And some people I know dont the difference between a spanner and screw driver but yet try to attempt jobs and make things 100 time worse.

Ive sent andy some service info and his machine serial number falls within ones that had problems with the servo pressure maintenance valve but we will see as they normally fail and dont seem to get better but we will see when he reports back with his findings.
  #22   IP: 94.2.211.218
Old 28-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Perfect Master

i find more in the construction game that dealers who are the dealers for said make have guru,s who have seen it been there and got the badge. and most times are very helpfull and when stuck will get the machine goining. yes i could service mine but if its done by the dealer and it breaks down at least you can get on the phone and get it fixed. they have the parts, it is done to spec. and how often does a digger need servicing 500hrs you can do a lot of work couple of jobs and the servicing is paid for. what is the cost of having a machine sitting idle because something is broke if you do you,s the dealer and have a good rapor with them you know they will try and get out asap to get you back working. dumper failed on the thursday afternoon friday morning 07.30 Harper plant were out fixing it back working 9am.
thats good servicing and would recomend harper plant of lopcombe corner near salisbury very good firm to deal with
  #23   IP: 95.148.4.238
Old 28-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Intimate Secretary

Lamp you are correct, I know people who think a service is blow out air filter, drop engine oil and replace fuel/engine oil filter. Why pay someone to come and do that when they can have it done in an hour.

And then a month later its down on power and cutting out because they forgot the sediment trap or the gauze in the lift pump. The machine is off road for 4hrs, till i can land, with lads waiting for supplies lifting onto scaffold.

Then the self service was expensive but the time you add the lads wages whilst waiting , my time and the fact that only the engine oil and filters have been changes. No axle/hub levels, lights, pins/bushes, belts, steering ect which I do in a service.
  #24   IP: 94.2.211.218
Old 28-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Perfect Master

i forgot to mention in my other post to be a plant, agri engineer 3 years college whilst working for a firm who give you hands on training and pay wages then specilist training on products they deal with. so when you get a good plant firm you know the engineers, yes engineers not fitters are to be able to diagnose a fault with many years expeiarance. and are able to know what the fault is just by finding out what the machine was doing and with new machines with the current cd,s for information knowing how the thing comes apart fit the right part which should be on the shelf plant engineers and agri engineers for all that are clever lads and lasses. and come out on site in all weather up to there armpits in mud fixing the machine then the plant firms with there overheads for stock vans workshops 45 a hour is not bad in this day and age. and as in previous post will give a fixed price for service.
what car dealer would do this yes will collect it if its broken down and if have one give you a loan car but hardley ever come out and fix it by the roadside unless its a simple fault
  #25   IP: 213.137.3.35
Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Hi, I am new to the world of diggers having just bought an elderly 801-4. I have a similar problem to Andyrob with low power in the track drive motors. I saw mentioned a "track stuck in high" I take it that this relates to 2 speed gearbox of sorts. Is this the same on an 801-4? I am assuming I have an 801-4 although I am not entirely sure and have another post asking for help on this. I need a manual really although without knowing for sure what I have I don't want to spend 50 or whatever on the wrong one.

Any ideas where the hydraulic fluid filter is on an 801-4?

Thanks
  #26   IP: 82.132.229.213
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Grand Master Architect

how tight are the tracks and how much tread is on them???
  #27   IP: 213.137.3.35
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM

The tracks are fairly tight, although I don't know how tight they should be. They are both brand new and have been fitted by someone who I would have thought would know what they were doing.
  #28   IP: 86.184.120.171
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

There is no 2 speed tracking on early 801.4's....mine had the exact same problem,you need a new hydraulic pump from the dealers and a conversion pipe kit as the early 801 pumps are discontinued.Cost me about 700 quid for the bits six years ago,service manual cost 300 quid....regarding parts manual,just keep trawling through ebay and hope one comes up.There is quite a few different parts on early 801's all though they look identical to one another.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.
  #29   IP: 213.137.3.35
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Oh no!!! Can't afford to fix that so will have to live with it somehow. Is there no way to put new seals or something in pumps?
  #30   IP: 195.93.21.70
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

The pump will have worn the working parts, the metal parts. You can only reseal end plates and shaft seals etc. If shaft seals leak badly or very soon after being newly fitted then the internals are worn, the alluminium pump bodies will wear and are then scrap. These machines maybe small but you should allow for at least 80 per shift whether on hire or working on price, operator 16 per hour.