The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#11   IP: 95.145.148.26
Old 22-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: JCB JS160 and JS130 Throttle problems

ive got fault codes

think it has something to do with the stepper motor. hows does this system operate do u have a workshop diagram i could use or anything?

js130 year 2002
  #12   IP: 86.149.2.52
Old 24-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro67 View Post
One last thing.........

Have you done any welding?

Errors may not also display if s ware is old

Pedro
Interesting.

I had a 1994 JS200. The book said to take the computer out of the machine when welding (a right pain). Is this necessary?

I assume computers have got smaller over the years, are they any cheaper to replace? A new unit for the 94 machine was 1000, and 500 for a rebuild.

PD
  #13   IP: 86.156.87.20
Old 24-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Interesting.

I had a 1994 JS200. The book said to take the computer out of the machine when welding (a right pain). Is this necessary?

I assume computers have got smaller over the years, are they any cheaper to replace? A new unit for the 94 machine was 1000, and 500 for a rebuild.

PD
You don't have to take them out, its your risk BUT I would!

Latest Js220 takes 15-20 mins. If you read the manual (and most dont) you should never jump start the machines the normal way either......

Spikes can and will travel the easy path.

Pedro
  #14   IP: 86.156.87.20
Old 24-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_gus View Post
ive got fault codes

think it has something to do with the stepper motor. hows does this system operate do u have a workshop diagram i could use or anything?

js130 year 2002
I have but not able to post on here.....ill take a peak at them codes but it will be next week now. Sorry, got loads on.

Pedro
  #15   IP: 195.93.21.74
Old 24-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Our volvo ops manuals have the codes in them..... have you not got the operators manual..?
Don't need to take the units out just pull the plugs.
  #16   IP: 86.156.87.20
Old 24-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Our volvo ops manuals have the codes in them..... have you not got the operators manual..?
Don't need to take the units out just pull the plugs.

JCB ECU's are held in with only a couple of bolts, JCB recommend you remove them. The manuals don't have error codes in the operators manuals. Little information can be dangerous sometimes.

Pedro
  #17   IP: 195.93.21.74
Old 25-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

The volvo manuals only have about 10 of the basic codes to be fair. I agree the operator need worry only about giving the fitter/tech the symptoms.
Taking the whole ecu out is not allways that easy as we have probably all found. Volvo ADT info says unplug but best to be safe for the sake of four screws i guess.
  #18   IP: 87.242.202.100
Old 18-01-2012, 01:49 AM

Why do these companies using ECUs in their diggers not isolate the ECU from the chassis using rubber fixing points then earth through the standard connectors. Then all the operator would have to do is disconnect the electrical connectors to ECU and it would be totally isolated from any electrical interference?

As for the post, have you tried testing the stepper motor? You don't need the ECU to drive it you can simply measure resistance on each of the coils, or apply a voltage to move the stepper motor. If measuring the resistance of each of the coils they should be about the same, if not then this could indicate potential problems. Not an easy thing to test, but do-able all the same, but make sure you understand which pins you need to be testing. Without looking I cannot advise as I'm not familiar with these machines.

Hopefully you manage to sort the problem and have the machine back up and running. Sorry if I went a little of track.

jd 6820
  #19   IP: 109.151.14.53
Old 25-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Lightbulb Re: JCB JS160 and JS130 Throttle problems

2002+2004 machines are likely to be the long style dash ( from the JCB/sumitomo era)
There are a couple of things to look at......

Get some body to switch the ignition on whilst you watch the throttle motor - it should rotate slightly backwards - if it doesn't, discount the throttle cable and try again ( throttle cable could be seized)

If no luck then look at the clock screen (on dash) you will either see no display (which could indicate electrical supply failure to ecu / or ecu itself could have failed - with the ignition on, there should be two lights on the front of the ecu ( which you can see by folding the seat forward) - if no lights on then suspect supply failure - if red only then ecu is fried

If red and green lights are on then check the wiring from the throttle motor (it usually rubs on the cover plate under the hydraulic pump) where it hangs down .

Try these points and we should be able to diagnose the issue from there
Digger doctor
  #20   IP: 109.151.14.53
Old 25-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Lightbulb Re: JCB JS160 and JS130 Throttle problems

Sorry - it's been a long day and I dint read all responses before shooting my mouth off

Those error codes indicate that the machines are later design (with small square dash)

This machine should have an electric over hydraulic throttle - operated byba hydraulic ram which is driven by a proportional solenoid ( can you confirm)

Error codes 200 + 201 are the throttle fault codes (other errors are short circuit or open circuit on various solenoids)

This is either the throttle potentiometer has failed (mounted on the throttle linkage) or simply needs to be recalibrated as follows
- start engine
- press and hold the set and mode buttons together - hold them down for 20secs (after 5 secs thevdisplay will change but don't let go of the buttons until it goes to the hidden menu) will probably display "service off" at this point
- use the arrows to scroll down until display shoes "recalibrate"
- press the ack button
- display will show " lower limit" - turn the throttle dial fully to idle
- display will now show "upper limit" - you guessed it - turn throttle to full position
- display will now show "working" engine should rev up and perform throttle recalibrate

If it doesn't work the chances are you will need to plug in a laptop to check the vehicle profile settings

Hope this helps