The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#11   IP: 82.17.49.126
Old 23-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Owed money

Being strung along is not great, i know only too well myself now, however it helps to stay in constant contact with them..Although its taken a bit of time to get most of the bill paid i have no fear that i will be paid it all soon enough. In some respects i think it helps too with customer relations, at least they know you are around and often, but also they remember who helped them out of a tight spot and stood by them.
Although by the same token, pouring some concrete down a drain could end up being your worst nightmare as word would be sure to get around and it may lose you more work than you need.

It is a fine line to tread between being too light and helpful and too heavy handed..
At the end of the day its your call how you decide to play it.

Sorry i can't offer more advise than that..

Hydraulic hose and parts sourcing and replacement.
  #12   IP: 178.167.169.233
Old 23-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Perfect Master

i always find threatening a lad with his knee caps soon gets payment
  #13   IP: 86.181.223.62
Old 24-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Knight of the East and West

had a FRIEND who was owd some money........so a 953 arrived at the side of the owners house when he got back from work and sure enough the cheque book was found and he got payed
  #14   IP: 31.53.167.118
Old 24-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Put a horses head in the blokes bed and word will soon get round you don't fcuk with Local Diggers
  #15   IP: 78.147.0.74
Old 24-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Grand Master Architect

Pay up or Shergar gets it!
  #16   IP: 86.44.108.83
Old 24-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Provost and Judge

i've never been in this position myself (yet anyway!) thankfully, but i saw it happen all the time to my father who was in the plant game for 30 years or so. And unfortunatly most of the time things had to get heavy before he saw any money, terrible really but as many of you will know better than me thats just the way it is! If i was in your position i would leave the heavy handed tactics until the last resort, try give him a sob story about all your bills etc, who knows he might just have a heart

ive heard some great stories from my father on how he squeezed money out of people who wouldnt pay, my own favourite was after a big muck shift the builder wouldnt pay so bright and early on a monday morning four of our 8 wheelers just happened to break down across the site entrance, caused mayhem and the site was shut. A cheque was hand delivered to our yard by lunch time
  #17   IP: 78.147.0.74
Old 24-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Grand Master Architect

Nice one Conor I can get my 4 wheeler to break down just about anywhere
  #18   IP: 195.93.21.68
Old 24-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

The guy told Dan he would get paid at the end of the job, you lot are being to soft. My suggestion was to be carried out after more dialogue, as i said. Dehaynes' concrete idea sounds more fun.
Dan set the mixer up and fill it with plain ballast call the huy and tell him bring the cheque or better still reddies or you'll start pouring ! the key point is to tell him you will tell the next contractor not to carry out the repairs as he wont get paid iether ....

PS add the cement dust and mix well, if you have to pour ...
  #19   IP: 86.172.134.89
Old 24-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Sublime Master Elected

i think this situation is all to commom and id agree with ripping up drains or filling with concrete.ive never been in that situation luckily.the man i work for most is not a good payer but i allways get my money.waited 5 months once but regularly 2 to 3 months.i had a customer in the 80s who garden i ripped up with a cultivator after building a house.done this for 40.went to get the money and heard every excuse under the sun,wife out with chequebook etc.after 6 visits one sat morning i called again to be told the same thing so i pushed past the man and went into the house and sat down in living room and said id wait.instant money.this guy was a millionaire who wrote romantic novels.know of another firm locally owed a lot of money on a house build and they eventually took a wheeled digger round the house,jacked it up and extended dipper over the roof about 18 inches above it got out and locked the machine,informed the customer and walked away.money was soon paid
nick........
  #20   IP: 188.28.120.48
Old 24-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge1 View Post
i always find threatening a lad with his knee caps soon gets payment
and back in the real world.........